Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:58:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690603
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tuscan distraction? Figure tests (final tests 30/10)  (Read 7646 times)

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
Tuscan distraction? Figure tests (final tests 30/10)
« on: October 21, 2012, 06:46:02 PM »
As some of you here will know, I'm gradually collecting Burgundian and Swiss armies for the 1476-77 wars; the progress is posted on my blog. I also will be extending my 1420s HYW armies for a planned refight of Cravant at next year's Salute.
So frankly I probably don't need another distraction.   :-[ However the Perrys Italian figures for the 1450-1500 period keep catching my key and I'm getting increasingly tempted to assemble some modest forces for some of the states - coupled with on-tap flags from Pete's Flags and Flags of War - and the hope that someone may produce some shield transfers too for the period.
So, aside from planning out troops on paper, I've had a go at a quick paint job using 3 approaches. All of these have been done with a white undercoat followed by a wash of GW Devaln Mud to show the details. Then light shades have been added to block in the colours before a 'wash and highlight' approach.

Left hand figure was washed with a 50-50 mix of GW Devlan Mud and GW Ogryn Flesh. Then the following had highlights piked out, using the original colour used - flesh, coat, tabard, leggings and metalwork  - as I did with all the figures. The centre figures had same treatment but using Army Painter Strong Tone brushed on. The right hand one used Army Painter Dark Tone.

The good news is that this is a much faster approach for me than my usual 3-layer painting. This is critical if I'm going to try and squeeze in another period. Painting the lighter tones is very uncomfortable, but there is a bit of a 'eureka moment' when the shading is applied and the figure's details emerge. It is of course a trade-off between  the finish and time taken.

I realise that from the photo there may not appear to be a clear 'winner', as the finish looks rather similar. The washes mix does get into all the details, but creates a figures that's initially 'dirtier' and so needs the highlighting of the original colours and frankly would look better with more highlights of a lighter tone (but then I'd be saving less time). With the AP dip, there is also a dulling of the colours, and so highlights are needed, but theres also a lustre too, which marginally is tipping me towards this route. AP does need a good matt varnish to finish and although I've brushed on Humbrol Dull Coat, there's still a slight sheen. I don't think a sprayed on varnish  will help as I like the finish of the AP on the metal and so don't want this to lose it's gloss finish.

So, currently I have a slight preference for the AP Dark Tone - as it gives darker shading and gives a tone to the armour plate that I like. I need to do more tests - as there are colours that seem to work better with AP over them than others as i want to avoid the figures looking too dark and 'muddy' (& I've studied the impressive results of Phil Hendry and Dave Imrie with the dip). I'm not sure which way I'll go with horse flesh - so thats the next test I think. I'm also aware that the best dipped figures I've seen are on those sculpted with deeper undercuts, where the varnish can settle and dry to give the shade and contrasts - I'm fear that the Perrys sculpting style is the most accommodating to the dip?

Thanks for reading all this rambling! I know that this is not a new topic but any experiences/thoughts of others here, with using washes and dips for speedy results, would be most appreciated.
Cheers, Simon.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 06:50:41 PM by painterman »

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Tuscan distraction? Figure tests.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 06:52:43 PM »
Nice job on these, Simon : I think the one on the left is my favourite, but the diference with the other two is admittedly not that significant.

And your rambling makes for very interesting reading too : I'm considering giving the AP/GW wash method a try, and I find posts such as this one most useful.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 08:11:17 PM »
So frankly I probably don't need another distraction :-[

Welcome to my world ;)

I actually prefer the figure on the left with the Devlan Mud wash - but that may be down to the figure as much as the finish.

In the hands of a good painter such as yourself, the block colour and wash approach can yield perfectly acceptable results for the table top.
No, you're not going to attract the usual plaudits for your paintwork - and I don't honestly swallow the AP hype that (literally) dipping your figures in a pot of gloop offers satisfactory results. But used judiciously, it gives a reasonable effect, and you should be able to get a sizeable force on the table in double-quick time. They'll look great from more than a couple of feet away in any event :)

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 09:03:32 PM »
I have some of these on my painting table too.  
I saw them on the Perry new releases and "just had to buy them" even though I have more than enough crossbows and handgonnes.

They are not going to distract me  - instead they will to bolster the Italian part of my Burgundian Arm. :) :)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 09:32:48 PM »
The one on the right works for me  :)

Quick question about the white leg, is the black design a form of heraldry or a unit identifier or some such?

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 09:51:38 PM »
The one on the left is working best for me although that said there's not much in it.

Offline Arlequķn

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 07:15:48 AM »
I'm with the herd, the one on the left looks better. I think there's more control with paint washes and where it doesn't look right, you can thin it out with brush and water in any case. I hadn't read the text before looking at the figures and the difference between the three stood out for me.

Nice work!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 07:28:29 AM »
Welcome to my world ;)

I actually prefer the figure on the left with the Devlan Mud wash - but that may be down to the figure as much as the finish.

In the hands of a good painter such as yourself, the block colour and wash approach can yield perfectly acceptable results for the table top.

Agreed, I have used Devlan Mud on may a HYW miniature but I always end up adding three or four highlights thus negating the point of using a 'quick' wash approach  o_o.

No, you're not going to attract the usual plaudits for your paintwork - and I don't honestly swallow the AP hype that (literally) dipping your figures in a pot of gloop offers satisfactory results. But used judiciously, it gives a reasonable effect, and you should be able to get a sizeable force on the table in double-quick time. They'll look great from more than a couple of feet away in any event :)

Yeah, games are usually seen from such a distance.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help really Simon.....  :)

Darrell.

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Žorsteinn į Heišini
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 04:50:51 PM »
Any chance of seeing more detailed pictures of the two army painter guys? I'm in the process of deciding if I want strong tone or dark tone.

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 09:29:34 PM »
Vonplutz
Here's a closer cropped pic - hope it helps. Not a great difference, but I prefer the slightly great contrast from Dark Tone.

Jimbibbly,
The clothing is just 15th century fashion as far as I know. Lots of interesting patterns on italian leggings, which I'm collating for potential future use.

Thanks for all the comments. Am having a go at a few more using wash variants - more test pics soon.
Simon.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 10:50:43 PM »
Thanks Simon, would this sort of thing be used in England do you know?

cheers

James

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Žorsteinn į Heišini
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 12:02:43 AM »
That helped a bunch, my eyes aren't all that great and squinting at your first picture didn't help much. I definitely agree with you that the contrast of the Dark tone looks nice. Is the tunic he is wearing painted brown originally or is that a yellow?

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 09:15:51 AM »
Vonplutz,
The jacket on the right hand figure is a GW Foundation paint - it's a dark yellow/ochre colour - I'll have to check the name when I get home (although they've been renamed since).

Jim,
Not seen evidence of this style of clothing in England, although there are a lot more paintings of 15th century italians than English remaining for us to refer to. Perhaps just on some fashionable young men who kept the Papal envoy 'company' on his long trips to England?  ::)

Simon.

Offline Arlequķn

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 09:45:38 AM »
Thanks Simon, would this sort of thing be used in England do you know?

Heavens no! A fine turned pair of calves under woollen hose is all the peacockery needed for a stout red-blooded English Yeoman!  :D

Good question... as Simon says, not much in the way of evidence (if any), but all foreign fads (silly hats, the French disease, arquebuses and peacocks) eventually made their way over in time...

;)

Offline vonplutz

• Librarian
    • Žorsteinn į Heišini
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 04:43:43 PM »
Vonplutz,
The jacket on the right hand figure is a GW Foundation paint - it's a dark yellow/ochre colour - I'll have to check the name when I get home (although they've been renamed since).

Jim,
Not seen evidence of this style of clothing in England, although there are a lot more paintings of 15th century italians than English remaining for us to refer to. Perhaps just on some fashionable young men who kept the Papal envoy 'company' on his long trips to England?  ::)

Simon.

Thanks that's good enough just needed confirmation that it wasn't a bright colour that got damped down that much.