Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:12:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690888
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 3rd Century Romans  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Rutiguer2701

• Assistant
    • Rafalinux
3rd Century Romans
« on: October 29, 2012, 05:00:20 PM »
A year ago I bought my first bunch of A&A miniatures. They were 50% off, so I decided to buy and paint them.

First time I had them on my hand, I though they were some kind of rough. Indeed, they can't compare to  other Late Romans, but... I love them.

I was searching over the Internet, and I found how great outcome they can be at Saxon Dog's blog, Phil Hendry's and Juan Mancheño's. And some weeks later I discovered The Emperor's Blog.

What I mean is that no matter the first sight of the miniature, but the outcome. And I hav to admit, I'm a real fan of A&A Miniatures, and of course, of Aventine's (thank you very much, modellers).

Well, OK, let's go with the pictures. As you may notice, the basing is some kind of... idiosincratic. I used 3x3cm bases. I'm not a wargamer, so my minis willl probably never fight against huns or franks. I don't mind. I like painting them.

As you may notice, only the second line, instead of the front line, is on focus. There's no artistic meaning and it wasn't deliberated. I managed to focus the front line, because the best painted miniatures are on the front line. Simply I was unable to use correctly my camera. Anyway, I hope you can appreciate the detail of the second line.  lol

Thank you to all of you. Greetings
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 05:47:32 PM by Rutiguer2701 »
My blog (in Spanish, sorry): http://www.rafalinux.com/impetuoso

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
Re: 3rd Century Romans
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 06:07:39 PM »
Always good to see some more 3rd century Romans joining the party. Your experience with those ranges is shared by many people (myself included): You got to see them "in the lead" and paint a few of them before you can really appreciate them. I for one have become a sucker for Aventine and A&A, and that's despite my great love for aesthetically totally different models by Perry, Hicks and the like. So, welcome to the party! :D

Just two remarks, if I may? The detailing on the models, especially on those metal surfaces, is easily picked out with a few washes. The ready-made ones from Games Workshop or Army Painter will do the job quite nicely.
Secondly, some guys are holding their shields upside down, which looks a bit odd. Also that's likely rather uncomfortable, since supposedly the handle was shaped to suit the grip from above.

But that's just me nitpicking again, thus never mind, and keep 'em coming! :)

Offline Rutiguer2701

• Assistant
    • Rafalinux
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 06:31:32 PM »
I for one have become a sucker for Aventine and A&A, and that's despite my great love for aesthetically totally different models by Perry, Hicks and the like. So, welcome to the party! :D

I totally agree. Thank you!

Just two remarks, if I may?

Of course you can. Please...

The detailing on the models, especially on those metal surfaces, is easily picked out with a few washes. The ready-made ones from Games Workshop or Army Painter will do the job quite nicely.
You're right. I use Devlan Mud and Badab Black. They're a must in my painting technique (borrowed from some serious painters, indeed).

Secondly, some guys are holding their shields upside down, which looks a bit odd. Also that's likely rather uncomfortable, since supposedly the handle was shaped to suit the grip from above.
Yes, you're right again. I noticed some weeks ago, but I'm frightened. My fear is to ruin the miniature. It was my fault, but I'm frightened of fixing them. I used GW cement, so I don't know what will happen if I try to remove the shield.  :'(

But that's just me nitpicking again, thus never mind, and keep 'em coming! :)

Thank you very much. I will be posting them soon!

Offline Tarty

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 09:03:07 AM »
Yes these are nice.....good job. I've got a few of these chaps cleaned up and ready to go soon myself, looking forward to starting them.
Language is a virus from outer space.