Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:38:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690791
  • Total Topics: 118350
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rules Queries  (Read 6180 times)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Rules Queries
« on: March 16, 2008, 10:51:15 PM »
Played a couple of games today: http://forum.backofbeyond.de/viewtopic.php?t=4758

Generally pretty straightforward after a read through of the book, errata and topics here.

Just a couple of queries:

Firstly:
A Hero has been with a unit (Using its card).
At the start of a new turn his own card is added to the deck as he intends to move independently.
Before he or the unit can act an enemy unit charges them.

Does the Hero still count as part of the unit (because he is yet to move/act independently)?
OR
Is he considered seperate to the unit (because his card is in the deck)?

Secondly:
A Hero has been part of a unit involved in melee.
All of the unit has died except for the Hero.

As he is now an independent character does he ignore the all supressions of his previous unit. (ie the supressions "die" with the unit)?

A thoroughly enjoyable set of rules. Many thanks Bjorn & Chris (& Jens)   :mrgreen:
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Rules Queries
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 07:05:27 AM »
Hi,

thanks for playing the game ( thanks for the report too ). Now I hop to your questions.

-when the Hero card is in the deck he acts on his own.
He doesnt belong anymore to a unit.

Your second question is a really good one ( the first one was too ).
Lets examine it. While the melee took part he was a member of a unit. His unit card was not in the game. As long as his card is not in the "Turn Pile" He belongs  to a unit. Even if this unit does not exist anymore. So all supressions, morale modifier etc. are the ones of the unit.

Heroes are a bit mighty in our game. Thats what we wanted. But when heroes are with units they are more vulnerable. Especially in close combat.

I hope that helps.

Cheers
Björn
, ,

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Rules Queries
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 08:26:21 PM »
Quote from: "Driscoles"

-when the Hero card is in the deck he acts on his own.
He doesnt belong anymore to a unit. .
Oops. We played it the other way around :roll:

Your second question is a really good one ( the first one was too ).
Lets examine it. While the melee took part he was a member of a unit. His unit card was not in the game. As long as his card is not in the "Turn Pile" He belongs  to a unit. Even if this unit does not exist anymore. So all supressions, morale modifier etc. are the ones of the unit.

Heroes are a bit mighty in our game. Thats what we wanted. But when heroes are with units they are more vulnerable. Especially in close combat.
Oh dear! Wrong again :?

Does that mean that when he uses his own card in the "Turn Pile" next turn, that all the unit supressions magically disappear?

At least we will know next time  :)

Thanks for the prompt reply.  Really useful to get an answer straight from the horses mouth.  :mrgreen:

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Rules Queries
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 06:49:49 AM »
Hi,

no problem if you played it the other way around. Looks like it worked anyway
:)

I`ll give you an example Overlord.

You have 5 units ( 5 cards ) and a hero ( he has also a card and is a Unit on its own ). Thats 6 cards in Total.

At the beginning of the game ( setup ) you want him to join the RAW unit because they are really bad with morale and equipment. You put the Hero card aside. He moves now with the Raw unit ( keep coherency etc... he fights on his own stats)

After 3 turns of gaming your Hero comes close to the bridge he wants to blow up.

Your plan is to sprint ( fast move ) in the next activation ( beginning of turn 4) to the bridge. So after turn 3 is over ( all players have played there cards ) you prepare for turn 4 and put the Hero card into the turn pile. Because you want to act before all others your hero is on top.

To your question :
Actually yes, but only in the next activation. First he must survive the morale check with the unit stats ( his bonus applies ). If he fails he is captured. If he makes it he can try to escape or fight on.

In a lot of testgames the Hero was captured with the unit that lost close combat  :)

That was also a reason why we wanted to find a winner in close combat in the same turn.

Cheers
Björn

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
Rules Queries
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 01:37:13 PM »
Hi Bjorn

Just saw this query and wondered if you could help me.

I understood the no. of units and no. of cards but when using order cards do you have to assign one card to each unit for that turn or could all units use the same order card.

I'm not sure I saw the answer to that in the rules but I am on my second read through before playing a game.

Sorry if I'm being dumb.

Dodge

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Rules Queries
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 01:47:35 PM »
Dodge,

you only assign one order to the topmost unit in the turnpile.
Page 9 left column No. 3

For more questions please ask. Youre wellcome !

Björn

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
Rules Queries
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 01:50:21 PM »
Bjorn

That's great. But what it says to me is get on with some playing.

Just need to make a few buildings and I will.

If I have any more questions I shall ask.

All the games look fast paced and fun just got to get myself going.

Dodge

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Rules Queries
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 02:55:37 PM »
It is pretty fast and easy. Some things may be a little difficult at the beginning but Iam sure you get into it very easy.

Tip!
If you use stones for supression and kills you dont even have to write while gaming.

I based my markers on pennies. 1 to 3 stones on a base to represent supression status of the unit.

Cheers
Björn

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Rules Queries
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 07:53:05 PM »
To your question :
Actually yes, but only in the next activation. First he must survive the morale check with the unit stats ( his bonus applies ). If he fails he is captured. If he makes it he can try to escape or fight on.

In a lot of testgames the Hero was captured with the unit that lost close combat  :)

That was also a reason why we wanted to find a winner in close combat in the same turn.
We played it in a similar manner, with the Hero forced to take a morale check to escape, but we used his own card as no other member of the unit survived.  I can see that although he is alone, at the time of the melee he was part of the unit and should therefore suffer the conequences (and use the unit card).
In this particular case it made no difference as he easily passed the test.  He then proceeded to "leg it", hotly pursued by natives  :mrgreen:

Tip!
If you use stones for supression and kills you dont even have to write while gaming.
I based my markers on pennies. 1 to 3 stones on a base to represent supression status of the unit.  
I will have to make something similar. I hate using paper chits or plastic counters on the tabletop  :x .  They completely shatter the illusion for me.

Quote from: "Dodge"
All the games look fast paced and fun just got to get myself going.
Give it a go, using whatever figures you have.  My small darkest africa collection had sat unused for ages, waiting for me to paint reinforcements, but finally saw the light of day.  For early games, substituting what you don't have specifically at least means you get to play a game.  You can make everything look lovely later (See Plynkes http://forum.backofbeyond.de/viewtopic.php?t=4760).  A good game or set of rules can give you the enthusiasm to start painting/building/etc (and I need all the help I can get!  :roll: )

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Rules Queries
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 08:38:06 PM »
Iam also not a big fan of writing or keeping track of stats while gaming.
The stones are ok. You dont see them on the wargame table. But I dream of casualty figures. I have a few already and use them as pinned markers.

While on the Kauzenburg Convention one guy told me they played Chris Peers In The Heart Of Africa with servants representing hit points. That is a lovely idea. I dont know who made this up. Maybe Mr. Peers himself. But its an excellent idea. I think I will adopt it...

And now I will go and watch Carry On Up The Khyber....

Cheers
Björn

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Rules Queries
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 08:41:20 PM »
That's in the rules, but only for leaders. They each have three attendants (which can be represented with whatever figures you like, servants, dogs, a brass band, wife and kids!?!) which can be sacrificed to preserve the life of the leader.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Rules Queries
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 08:49:16 PM »
Ok...thank you Plynkes.
So we dont make this excellent idea official
 :)
But I will do it for my games in Darkest Africa...
And now i will go Carry onning... and there are some great Monty Pythons as well....and I think I have a cold beer in the fridge.

Cheers
Björn

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Rules Queries
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 08:50:28 PM »
While on the Kauzenburg Convention one guy told me they played Chris Peers In The Heart Of Africa with servants representing hit points. That is a lovely idea. I dont know who made this up. Maybe Mr. Peers himself. But its an excellent idea. I think I will adopt it....

In his rules he suggests using Vultures. My experience with T&T so far suggests this would mean an awful lot of them on the table.  Possibly using vultures as 3 or 5 supressions with something smaller for individual supressions would be best.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Rules Queries
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 09:07:26 PM »
I think the vultures idea is to represent unit morale failures, rather than leader hit points, he suggests using human figures for that.

I tend to use my little white flags, and casualty figures when I have them, for morale indication for In the Heart of Africa. Trouble with this method for T&T is that you sometimes need a lot of tokens for all the suppressions. I didn't want to resort to book-keeping, so opted for the poker chips for suppressions, and flags for pinned status. As the chips have numbers (1, 5, 10, etc.) printed on them you needn't have a huge towering stack, just use the number combinations.

Not ideal, from a visual impact standpoint, but with all the unit stats already on the unit cards, I didn't want to have another bit of paper hanging about just to keep track of suppressions.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Rules Queries
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 09:35:16 PM »
Good point Plynkes.
Thats why I use the stones.
They look good on the tabletop and are cheap.

Besides I just discovered Vinnie Jones on you tube. I knew him before. He was/is famous for his tackles in football....anyway... Iam off topic.