Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:24:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anatoli's Dreadfleet project 30/3/13  (Read 7044 times)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Anatoli's Dreadfleet project 25/11/12
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2012, 12:11:23 PM »
The Skabrus looks especially mean! Love the Grimnir's Thunder too, don't suppose you could get a ruler out and post her dimensions? Thinking about putting together a Dwarf fleet for Man O War and she'd be an awesome flagship.

The dimensions of the dwarf ship (the hull itself) are 3.2cmx6.8cm, with the base it is roughly 3.5x7cm.

The Flaming Scimitar is the Araby ship captained by the "Golden Magus". The ship on its own and the captain is very bad. To balance things up the Flaming Scimitar has access to various elementals that can summoned at the start of the turn, such as the Wind Elemental to increase the movement rate of the ship and which also alters the wind direction. The Fire Elemental that counts as an additional flaming attack that can set enemy ships on fire. And then there are the Water elementals that help patch up damage to the hull.

More pictures on my blog:

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2012/11/the-flaming-scimitar-dreadfleet.html

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
Re: Anatoli's Dreadfleet project 29/11/12
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2012, 02:40:04 PM »
Smashing stuff  :-*

Makes me want to paint my Dreadfleet stuff up!

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Anatoli's Dreadfleet project 29/11/12
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, 11:01:54 AM »
The Tomb Kings ship, "Curse of Zandri" painted up and ready for play. A rather small ship compared to the others in the box, basically a floating sarcophagus. Armed with bolt throwers, catapults and some kind of crystal that can fire incinerating beams - making this ship the only bad guy able to set enemy ships ablaze with a special attack.

The undead captain of this ship also has a really good swashbuckling value making him a dangerous opponent in captain duels during boarding actions.

More pictures on my blog:

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2012/12/curse-of-zandri-dreadfleet.html

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Anatoli's Dreadfleet project 1/12/12
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2012, 08:35:05 PM »
HAve GW released more ships than what's included in the box?

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2012, 08:39:11 PM »
Do any factions have more than one ship, or is it all 1v1 flagships?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2012, 12:55:43 PM »
There are no other ships than what you get in the box, 5 for each side (good / bad guys) and only 1 of each kind.

The game is basically a band of hero ships vs another band of hero ships, so no regular fleets. Most of the ships have small auxiliary vessels but the game is really about these huge ships battling it out through the scenarios of the campaign.

As far as I know GW has killed off this game since it didn't sell well enough (most likely because of the insane pricetag it had on release). I heard GW destroyed all copies that were left unsold in their own stores, so you can only get it from independent retailers if there are any left in stock.

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
Re: Anatoli's Dreadfleet project 25/11/12
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2012, 05:23:51 PM »
The dimensions of the dwarf ship (the hull itself) are 3.2cmx6.8cm, with the base it is roughly 3.5x7cm.

Cheers!

I heard GW destroyed all copies that were left unsold in their own stores, so you can only get it from independent retailers if there are any left in stock.

Despite having never played the game this makes me sad.

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2012, 05:49:28 PM »
HAve GW released more ships than what's included in the box?

Nope, as far as I know it was released on the concept "limited edition one-box game" like Space Hulk of a couple of years ago, no expansions, no additions, no anything, no extended range, release-sell and goodbye.
The problem is the game had a bad reputation even before to be on the store shelves.
Sadly I think this bad experience will kill any other GW project to release one-box game for the next 20 years, so lets say goodbye to the gossip about a re-release of Warhammer Quest, a deluxe Blood Bowl and other similar rumours around the net.

If you want more ships you should look for the old ManOWar stuff

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2013, 09:07:28 AM »
After a long break I more or less forced myself to finish the remainder of my Dreadfleet collection, I only had 2 ships and some doodads left to paint (well OK - the terrain needs to get painted as well). So I thought it would be a nice break from the French & Indian War themed content that have dominated the blog recently.

The reason for my long break was that my brushes had become really worn out towards the end of painting the last couple of ships a few months ago. I also grew increasingly frustrated painting the Dreadfleet stuff, I love the models and the end result - but I absolutely hate painting them!

More pictures of "Swordfysh" over at my blog:

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2013/03/swordfysh-dreadfleet.html

Offline einarolafson

• Mastermind
    • Einar Olafson Painting
Re: Anatoli's Dreadfleet project 17/3/13
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2013, 04:52:29 PM »
Impressive and detailed painting job.

I love the models and the end result - but I absolutely hate painting them!

I know that feeling, It's hard when you really like the miniature but can't face the painting work. That's usually the death of very promissing projects o_o

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2013, 06:53:17 PM »
Thanks, too true. It's one of the reasons I will never get into Napoleonics. I would love to play it but painting stuff up would kill me. For Dreadfleet I "only" have the terrain and some mini-ships left to paint. Hopefully they will not be as tough to get through as the larger ships.

Offline Painting Princess

• Scientist
    • My painting blog
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2013, 11:57:26 PM »
Wow, these look great! Especially the Heldenhammer and the High Elf ships :)

Are the banners done freehand?

The water looks really good too.
The Princess Diaries (painting blog): http://painting-princess.blogspot.com.au/
Battle of Frogonia blog: http://battle-of-frogonia.blogspot.com.au/
Z Scale Steam Ventures (model railway blog): http://steam-ventures.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2013, 11:20:50 AM »
Thanks, the artwork on the sails is sculpted (fortunately) so one only has to paint it  :)

The Black Kraken, my last ship from the Dreadfleet box painted up. More pictures on my blog:

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2013/03/the-black-kraken-dreadfleet.html

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Anatoli's Dreadfleet project 18/3/13
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2013, 10:47:53 AM »
The tiny Auxiliary vessels, (cogs, dirigible and dragon) are all painted up. I tried painting the sails and hulls of the tiny ships to make them resemble their parent ship as much as possible for easy identification on the table. They took a bit more time to paint than anticipated, despite their microscopic size and rough details they required some work to look decent. Probably most happy with the dragon which wasn't that exciting and I feared that my lack of enthusiasm would affect the paintjob.

You can see pictures of the rest of the auxiliary vessels over at my blog:

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2013/03/dreadfleet-auxiliary-vessels-finished.html

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Anatoli's Dreadfleet project 29/3/13
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2013, 11:13:18 AM »
To celebrate that all the ships are at long last finished (and that I only have the terrain left to paint) I took some group pictures to show the collection. Not the best quality pictures but it's hard to take these kind of photos and get the light and sharpness right with my camera - which works better for closeups. But at least you get the idea of how things may look.

More pictures of both fleets can be found on my blog:
http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2013/03/dreadfleet-all-ships-finished-group.html