Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:21:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anatoli's Dreadfleet project 30/3/13  (Read 7042 times)

Online Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Anatoli's Dreadfleet project 30/3/13
« on: November 08, 2012, 11:21:55 AM »
Popped open my Dreadfleet box yesterday and started tinkering with the contents. You can check the unboxing over at my blog, more Dreadfleet posts will follow shortly :-)

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2012/11/dreadfleet-unboxing.html

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:13:33 AM by Anatoli »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Anatoli's Dreadfleet project 8/11/12
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 02:47:11 PM »
I am rather keen to get this game (which sort of surprises even myself). Please let us know how it plays.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 03:30:36 PM »
Almost too much great stuff in there to open it!  :-*

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 03:33:40 PM »
It is ram packed and it's a fun enough game for me to have advanced ordered mine back when it came out.
I haven't played it since, but for Lead Adventurers it seems perfect. You have to have a knack for just getting a game out for the sake of it.

Offline tomogui

• Scientist
  • Treading softly.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 03:51:43 PM »
I played about ten games of it when I first got hold of it and had fun with it. Beautiful models and components, but the game is rather poorly devised. The basic rules are quite simple and fun, but the battle damage system is clunky and the fate cards are hugely unwieldy. Games are long and they end up feeling very random. 

There is a series of quite insightful (but quite critical) blog posts about the rules and gameplay on Jake Thorton's blog, which include his attempts to salvage it by tweaking the rules. Worth a read if you like that sort of thing.

Offline YIU

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 06:08:33 PM »
Great game but good luck : I spent ages painting all the boats.
I wish I were an octopus to paint more miniatures...Cthulhu must be a great painter

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 08:52:11 PM »

There is a series of quite insightful (but quite critical) blog posts about the rules and gameplay on Jake Thorton's blog, which include his attempts to salvage it by tweaking the rules. Worth a read if you like that sort of thing.

Wow, that whole website reads like a swollen ego and a half! Interesting though, would like to read what he has to say when I have a bit more time.

Offline infelix

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 09:18:45 PM »
Yea the game is pretty good, much better then I thought it would be but it's not a perfect game and would need some more work on it.

The models are nice with a fair amount of details. I painted up a set for a friend and they were quite easy to paint.

Online Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 09:27:16 PM »
Just checked that site briefly. Can't say there was a lot of helpful stuff in the review as he didn’t (or just poorly) explained why it was supposed to be bad.  He is entitled to his opinion and let’s not get carried away in a dick waving contest about what games is better than another, because I’m simply not interested in that. But for the record I'm very underwhelmed and unimpressed with the Mantic rulesets that he himself seem to be affiliated with. Maybe it is my casual approach combined with the heavy discounted price but I've liked it in the few Dreadfleet games played with my friend Daniel.

In any case, the Bloody Reaver was assembled and painted up , pictures will be up in the next two days. I knew the Bloody Reaver and Heldenhammer would be a pain in the ass to paint and build so I started with them on purpose. The rest of the box contains simpler and probably a lot easier (less frustrating) ships to paint.

Offline YIU

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 09:37:40 PM »
I knew the Bloody Reaver and Heldenhammer would be a pain in the ass to paint and build so I started with them on purpose. The rest of the box contains simpler and probably a lot easier (less frustrating) ships to paint.

You are right, both are a pain to paint and assemble. For the others it's easier but dont forget to paint the sails before gluing them : it will be far easier.

Offline tomogui

• Scientist
  • Treading softly.
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 12:20:18 AM »
In any case, the Bloody Reaver was assembled and painted up , pictures will be up in the next two days. I knew the Bloody Reaver and Heldenhammer would be a pain in the ass to paint and build so I started with them on purpose. The rest of the box contains simpler and probably a lot easier (less frustrating) ships to paint.

Yes, the Reaver in particular takes ages to paint. I did a ship, then a sea monster, then a ship, then something else, just to keep it interesting and maintain a sense of achievement. Good luck with it!

Online Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 10:42:33 AM »
My very first private Dreadfleet adventure was putting the "Bloody Reaver" together, which was somewhat trickier than I anticipated. You are more or less forced to assemble sections and leave them apart for painting if you want to be able to paint the ship well enough.

Pictures of this ship painted up will be posted tomorrow.

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2012/11/assembling-bloody-reaver.html

Online Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Anatoli's Dreadfleet project 9/11/12
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 08:57:21 AM »
The Bloody Reaver, command ship of the "baddies" in Dreadfleet all painted up. Two long painting sessions and a lot of willpower went into finishing this one. More pictures on my blog:

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2012/11/the-bloody-reaver-painted-up.html

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Anatoli's Dreadfleet project 10/11/12
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 01:09:26 PM »
This is extremely well painted! Wow. Unfortuantely I don't really dig the models. Why does GW always have to go over the top with stupid ideas? A complete cliffside as a ship? Or the empire's flagship being a large as... I don't know, Manhatten? I mean really! Aren't there little ship models in the box supposedly being more or less ordinary ships? It would be so much cooler to have a down to earth kind of scale for the special models as well. But all these weird extra ships that evoke absolutely no feeling of belonging together (at least for me) are a big turn off.

That said, still awesome paintjob!
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Online Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Anatoli's Dreadfleet project 10/11/12
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 11:45:51 AM »
While I'm painting the Heldenhammer (trying hard to avoid a mental breakdown once again) I figured I could show how it looks before assembly and right before the basecoat. Already Spent 2 painting sessions on this ship, and hope to have it finished later today with pictures up tomorrow if all goes well. More pictures on the blog:

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2012/11/assembling-heldenhammer.html