Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 12:17:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696078
  • Total Topics: 118738
  • Online Today: 459
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Hobbit – I have seen the film. (no spoilers)  (Read 22201 times)

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Hobbit – I have seen the film. (no spoilers)
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2012, 10:02:32 AM »
We took the family to see the hobbit this week and loved it.  I do hate waiting for the next movies though. 
The 3D/48 fps didn't bother me or any of my family though I would have to agree it didn't seem to add much.  I thought the film had a very vibrant, lush visual look.  Given all the negative comments about Radagast I had expected worse but I would agree his scenes didn't add much.

I surprisingly liked Radagast. I admit he wasn't even close to how I thought he would be but it was a very interesting interpretation of an Istari. I really liked that he seems so different from Gandalf or Saruman but in that scene in his house you were able to glimpse a fragment of the power he wields - not fire and lightning but something "earthy", strong, steady but not spectacular like fire.  I am really looking forward to the other movies and how this particular character is developed.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2012, 10:07:42 AM »
Saw it Christams eve, enjoyed it, the additions to the book were ok though why they need a cartoon baddie like the White Orc I will never know 9marketing I dare say) I thought the Dwarf armour bore a canny resemblance to the Mantic dwarves

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
I loved just about everything except for the action sequences. They were appalling. Someone needs to take that Jackson fella aside and tell him that with CGI, less is more.

Seems a common problem these days. They always overdo the CGI battles with so much overblown nonsense and a million improbable things all happening at once, and this has got much worse since the last Lord of the Rings movie. There was absolutely no tension or drama in that Goblin Town section, as it just felt like you were watching a cartoon or a video game, so much stupid Tom and Jerry or Roadrunner stuff was happening. Somehow PJ managed to make his flagship action sequences actually boring.

Jesus, what I would give for an old-fashioned sword fight.

The Gollum sequence, however, was just perfect. Wonderful.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2012, 01:06:31 PM »
I loved just about everything except for the action sequences. They were appalling. Someone needs to take that Jackson fella aside and tell him that with CGI, less is more. [...] There was absolutely no tension or drama in that Goblin Town section, as it just felt like you were watching a cartoon or a video game, so much stupid Tom and Jerry or Roadrunner stuff was happening. Somehow PJ managed to make his flagship action sequences actually boring
I tend to agree, the action scenes were largely pap. The problem started with King Kong and doesn't seem to have gotten any better.

I rather liked the ending with the "dwarfs in the pines" tho, even if some people seem to have hated the melodrama when Thorin realises who the chief Orc is.

Jesus, what I would give for an old-fashioned sword fight
How old fashioned? Errol Flynn old fashioned? :P

I actually think sword fighting sequences in LoTR were quite good.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2012, 01:10:03 PM »
How old fashioned?

Saruman in his heyday.  :)

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2012, 01:17:28 PM »
Gods, did he ever win? Poor Saruman....

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2012, 01:35:19 PM »
Much to my own amazement I very much enjoyed this film!

My expectations were very very low considering what else Jackson has made in the past. But in the end I found myself to be enjoying the show and not feeling that I was in limbo in slowmotion hell.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2012, 02:06:11 PM »
I loved just about everything except for the action sequences. They were appalling. Someone needs to take that Jackson fella aside and tell him that with CGI, less is more.

Seems a common problem these days. They always overdo the CGI battles with so much overblown nonsense and a million improbable things all happening at once, and this has got much worse since the last Lord of the Rings movie. There was absolutely no tension or drama in that Goblin Town section, as it just felt like you were watching a cartoon or a video game, so much stupid Tom and Jerry or Roadrunner stuff was happening. Somehow PJ managed to make his flagship action sequences actually boring.

Seconded, every word.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2012, 03:58:46 PM »
I enjoyed the film apart from the goblin town... TOO MUCH... just TOO MUCH everything.

I am astounded that Gollum, a creature who has lived in the dark for decades, didn't have a sense of smell developed enough to smell a hobbit that was three inches away from him...  ;)

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2012, 04:04:59 PM »
I really liked it, but I think it became a bit too silly in parts, but nothing which ruined my experience.

The worst part for me was the addition of the White Orc, which didn't really feel necessary.

Great fun and adventure over all and I look forward to the last 2 parts.

workerBee

« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2012, 04:07:59 PM »
Saw with family, liked most of it.  PJ is synonymous with over doing the CGI/action parts (see Legolas in LOTR) - no understanding the gravitas of dwarf characters either.  Too much influence of the worst versions of D&D (Worlds of Warcraftianism) showed through too often for me.

Wife and daughters were really excited afterwards.  Including the one who thinks 3 days of Extended version LOTR movies over New Years is extreme.  So that is a plus.

That aside, as a LOTR/Hobbit fanboy ( we were called "freaks" in the 1960's) I accept the changes PJ made (disagree with about 50% of then being "necessary" when moving from one media to another but it is what it is.)  

Radagast the Brown - well, for an Istari (Which I equate to an Archangel) that went over to Middle Earth and got lost int he flora and fauna (Nature Hippie?) and thus abandoned the primary mission I buy the interpretation.  Yes Earth power seems likely (I see Gandalf as Fire, Saruman as Air, and possibly the two unnamed Blue Istari as Water.)  As for his being unequal to the Necromancer - well it took the whole White Council (Galadriel, Elrond, Gandalf, and Saruman at the least) to evict him in the book.  Assuming he didn't just leave Dol Gulder "early" because he was ready and wanted to cloak his pending return to Mordor.

Gracias,

Glenn

workerBee

« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2012, 04:09:28 PM »
I enjoyed the film apart from the goblin town... TOO MUCH... just TOO MUCH everything.

I am astounded that Gollum, a creature who has lived in the dark for decades, didn't have a sense of smell developed enough to smell a hobbit that was three inches away from him...  ;)

Yes to the first.

As to the second, masked by the overpowering scent of Goblin (they can't smell good,) perhaps?

Gracias,

Glenn

workerBee

« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2012, 04:15:05 PM »
I really liked it, but I think it became a bit too silly in parts, but nothing which ruined my experience.

The worst part for me was the addition of the White Orc, which didn't really feel necessary.

Great fun and adventure over all and I look forward to the last 2 parts.

Far beyond beyond not necessary.  But it is what it is...  Bolg would not be amused by PJ's actions.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2012, 12:58:54 AM »

Absolutely, couldn't say it better.
 :(

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2012, 01:03:13 AM »
Grrrrrrrrr went to the cinema on Xmas Eve to the movie, family outing me, my other half, youngest daughter and her fiance.
Projector broke down before the film even started....................epic fail!!!!!!!!!!!!
Only consolation is that we all got 2 courtesy tickets each to use another time.
So all is not lost.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'