Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:53:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Hobbit – I have seen the film. (no spoilers)  (Read 22021 times)

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Hobbit – I have seen the film. (no spoilers)
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2012, 08:23:24 AM »
Neotacha and I have seen it twice - once in 2D and once in 3D (I don't think either version was HFR).  On the whole, I preferred the 2D version - although there were a few points (mostly scenic) where the 3D was stunning (like the eagles flying through a mountain pass).

I agree with Mister Plynkes in regard to content: the escape from goblin town scene was too cartoony, and consequently the weakest action sequence in the film.  The sequence with Gollum/Smeagol was worth the price of admission by itself.  Brilliant.

Radigast is a bit weak - mostly an effective portrayal of a wizard who spends all of his time with critters, and not people, and who is a bit odd as a result; but at a couple of points his goofiness is pushed too far in my opinion (like when he suddenly forgets the important thing he was going to tell Gandalf, even though it is right on the tip of his tongue).  I did like his means of transportation, though.  And loved his house, with the tree growing through the middle of it.  Reminded me of something Arthur Rackham might have designed if he was doing illustrations for Tolkein's works (and wouldn't that have been an awesome combination?!). 

A very well-cast film, straight through.  The Howard Shore soundtrack is gorgeous, as with the original LotR films.  I also really liked the dwarves' Misty Mountain song, and how it was presented.

I thought the wargs looked much better in this film than the previous films.  Liked the trolls, liked the goblin king. 

-Michael

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2012, 09:26:34 AM »
Being a huge fan of The Office didn't exactly help me either. Especially as Freeman plays a lot like his old character in some scenes.  

I was half expecting David Brent to be the next dwarf through the door. lol

My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2012, 12:09:03 PM »
Thinking about it, the Goblin Town escape was rather like a theme-park ride. I wonder if it was specifically designed with that in mind for future cash-grabbing?  :)

Or is it just that Jackson has turned into a George Lucas-type: A bloated director making bloated films, dazzled by his own pretty lights, and who seriously needs someone else in charge to tell him "No! Enough!"  

Radagast's absent-mindedness seemed in keeping with how I remember him being described (I think by Saruman) in the books, but my memory may be failing me there. But where was his TARDIS?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 12:11:03 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2012, 12:16:56 PM »
This is my favourite book, something I fell in love with as a child and have loved ever since since I approached with a great deal more trepidation than LOTR.

Bilbo - Brilliant
Dwarves - good, but not enough characterisation
Gandalf not quite as good as in LOTR - missing something and it may be that Jackson is intending him to seem less purposeful, but it comes out as just lacking....a bit ...

When is Jacksin going to realise we don't need a baddie with a face because the main baddy is at the end and we dont have  anyhting to focus on! Come on give us some credit. He did it with Lurtz and he's done it again with the white orc. Completely unnecessary IMHO.

Goblin town - a little over the top - kind of liked the great goblin, but not his size.

Gollum - wonderful - riddles in the dark came to life!

Last comment - the faster frame speed was too much for me. I missed the action in the action sequences. As I wear glasses the 3D effect also didn't seem to really come off, so for film 2 I shall be going back to 2D.

Overall 8/10 - you didn't spoil it Peter, but don't rest on your lembas!

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2012, 01:36:41 PM »
Saw it and was a little ho-hum about it all.  My personal opininions:

Martin Freeman was excellent
I liked the dwarves
New Zealand looked lovely as always
You can't kill a good story (but you can squeeze it out and lose the pace)

Bunny Rabbits???
Escape from Goblin Town reminded me of The Goonies
CGI a bit over the top, battles too blurry and fast paced

Worth the entrance fee but won't rush to see it again

This is funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qXFQFnUdh5I
No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2012, 03:00:23 PM »
"Dwarves - good, but not enough characterisation"

I think they tend to blend together in the book as well, with a few exceptions. Mind you, haven't read it in  long time and I might be misremembering.  I think developing personalities in an ensemble film is important, but very hard to do.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2012, 03:40:34 PM »
"Dwarves - good, but not enough characterisation"

I think they tend to blend together in the book as well, with a few exceptions. Mind you, haven't read it in  long time and I might be misremembering.  I think developing personalities in an ensemble film is important, but very hard to do.

Characterization of Balin, Kili, Fili, Maybe Gloin (father of Gimli,) and Bombur (weight issues) needs developed somewhat more than others.

Just saying...

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2012, 04:43:53 PM »
There will be plenty of time in the next two 3-hour films to add character to the group.

I am sure there will be a few wistful looks to the sky followed by a 'memory sequence' or two :) .

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2012, 02:33:48 PM »
Saw it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I am very much looking forward to parts two and three, although its a shame we are going to have to wait another year to see the next part.

I am especially looking forward to seeing Smaug. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2012, 04:05:32 PM »
I`ve seen the movie today with my daughter and we both enjoyed it very much ! She said...I can watch this the whole  day ( and she is nerd free ) ...
I like the way PJ filmed the book and how he used and mixed other untold story lines into this movie.
Too bad to wait another year...but I´ve reached an age where time goes by fast  ;)
, ,

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2012, 04:11:09 PM »

Too bad to wait another year...but I´ve reached an age where time goes by fast  ;)

lol you and me both my friend...  ::)

Looking on the bright side, the third film is scheduled to come out only 6 months after the second one  :)

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2012, 04:22:02 PM »
yep...thats what I just found out. July 2014 ! The glass is half full Captain !!
 ;)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2012, 06:05:19 PM »
Thinking about it, the Goblin Town escape was rather like a theme-park ride. I wonder if it was specifically designed with that in mind for future cash-grabbing?  :)

I did not approve though I think Dame Edna did a cracking job as the Great Goblin. There was lots of little nuggets of humour here and there but the GG's dead pan parting words were simply out of character.

Or is it just that Jackson has turned into a George Lucas-type: A bloated director making bloated films, dazzled by his own pretty lights, and who seriously needs someone else in charge to tell him "No! Enough!"  

Indeed. One is tempted to buy him a slave to stand behind him whispering in his ear: "Thou art mortal!"

Radagast's absent-mindedness seemed in keeping with how I remember him being described (I think by Saruman) in the books, but my memory may be failing me there. But where was his TARDIS?

But to turn him into a dope fiend? Rather unkind, I think.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2012, 06:08:56 PM »
Saw it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I am very much looking forward to parts two and three, although its a shame we are going to have to wait another year to see the next part.

I am especially looking forward to seeing Smaug. :)

Smaug will either be awesome or overblown.  I am praying for the former.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2012, 06:10:22 PM »
I loved just about everything except for the action sequences. They were appalling. Someone needs to take that Jackson fella aside and tell him that with CGI, less is more.

Seems a common problem these days. They always overdo the CGI battles with so much overblown nonsense and a million improbable things all happening at once, and this has got much worse since the last Lord of the Rings movie. There was absolutely no tension or drama in that Goblin Town section, as it just felt like you were watching a cartoon or a video game, so much stupid Tom and Jerry or Roadrunner stuff was happening. Somehow PJ managed to make his flagship action sequences actually boring.

Jesus, what I would give for an old-fashioned sword fight.

Hear, hear...

The Gollum sequence, however, was just perfect. Wonderful.

It was. Perfect book to screen adaptation. I think the troll scene was good to.