Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:59:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690627
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Shoot N' Skedaddle - SNS PDF version available for $7, rules free online.  (Read 53468 times)

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
Re: Bloody Aftermath...(Shoot N' Skedaddle) ***Now with twice the carnage!***
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 06:08:20 PM »
looks interesting, love to see the PDF when you publish it...

This. It looks really really interesting.

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
Re: Bloody Aftermath...(Shoot N' Skedaddle) ***Now with twice the carnage!***
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 07:31:01 PM »
Looks good , and be interested to see the rules someday
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Bloody Aftermath...(Shoot N' Skedaddle) ***Cards arrived!***
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 12:06:16 AM »
I was screwing around with some other terrain pieces...including my piss-poorly painted Tri-City prototype buildings.  I'm not stoked about them, but it allows me to field a gigantor city if needed.

I messed around with some GF9 river pieces I have.  I may paint them up to match the board and do some monsoon-season scenarios.  Ignore the poor layout of the board.  I crammed almost every piece of terrain I have into this shot.

I played a game against my brother the other night, using the exact same scenario, added an additional Outlaw to the scenario.  I lucked out and drew a far better posse, and won for the Outlaws.  I also used the "Drifter" for the first time - the purpose built best character.  He was able to kill numerous guys before being subdued.

Update: The first edition of my cards arrived today from Gamecrafter.  Sadly I've already decided on some changes, but I needed to see the cards in the flesh so I can adjust the size of fonts etc.  As I mentioned earlier, the game is playable nearly solo.  The card drawing aspect is optional, but makes it very quick to start a game...draw some character cards and some weapon cards and deploy your models - done.

The weapon card deck has everything from knives to gatling guns (scenarios only!)

Each side (Outlaws and Lawmen) have a special card deck, with dirty tricks, and special tactics - these can be drawn between 1 and 4 times per turn - depending on player preferences.  4 times per turn would be a bit chaotic.  I've been using 1 per turn.

Character cards deck.  This includes Lawmen, Outlaws and Neutral characters.  Neutral characters can join either posse, whereas the Lawmen and Outlaws can only join their respective posses.

Each character has a poker card on the bottom - this is the activation card used for that character.  In the activation deck, each character will have two poke cards matching his card.

I've included blank weapon cards, special cards, and character cards - as well as dice, with stickers to form your own scatter dice.  The stickers can also be stuck to the character cards if you feel like making up your own special characters etc.  Overall I'm very pleased with the cards.  I'll be making numerous adjustments as playtesting continues, and eventually I'll have a completed, polished, and finished "game" set.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 12:26:36 AM »
Sounds more than interesting.

Please keep us informed of your progress.

Best wishes.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 04:02:14 AM »
When everything is said and done, I'll eventually put it up on Gamecrafter, but realistically - it'll be more than anyone would want to pay.  Ordering one copy of just the cards, dice, and stickers is around $29.00.  I will however release a PDF sometime, and make it free ---- it'll have lists of items/characters, etc. so people can still play, just without the simplicity of having the decks of cards.

So, eventually...free rules PDF, and optional cards, but I can't really justify the cost to anyone.  I build my games for conventions and me and my buddies, so I absorb all the costs of buying the "expensive" decks  lol

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 05:59:11 AM »
As someone that likes to try new games, but living in Mexico means I have to translate all cards for my mates to play with, this is what I usually do:

I make a document (word or pdf) with the cards and backs, and print it B&W in color paper.

Then cut it and slide the front and back into a "card sleeve" to have my deck of cards.

If I want to change anything, its as simple as printing a new page, cut it and change the front part of the card.

Actually there are card sleeves with colored backs if you want to skip a step.

The result can be as good as you want, and for a favourite game, you can prin the pages in full color.

These decks has seen quite a good use, and when you don't play a game anymore, can take the old card out and change them for the new deck for the game in turn.

Hope that helps.

Anyhow, I'll wait to see your "free pdf" rules posted here someday.

Best wishes.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 06:27:35 AM »
Yep, that's essentially what I've done up till now.   lol

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2012, 10:13:59 AM »
What I do for VC is I have a full set on my PC set to print on single page label.  I bought an educational supplies box of blank playing cards a few years ago with about 500 blank cards.

All I do is print them whenever someone adds a new gang or we add new characters, cut them out and stick to the cards.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 12:12:52 PM »
They look top!!!!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 11:51:18 PM »
Made a 1200 mile round-trip journey to hang out with a buddy of mine whom I haven't seen in six years or so.  He'd been cut off from proper gaming for quite a while too.  I sought to rectify that.  We knocked out four games of Shoot N' Skedaddle.  Excuse the small number, and poor quality of the photos!

We played four different scenarios...with two wins a piece.  As we drew characters, it was random who would be Outlaws or Lawmen.

Scenario 1: The Hangin' of David Sloan
This was on the same town/scenario I've now played 4-5 times (I wanted to repeat the same game to see how random it was, or what I really needed fixin').  My buddy drew Lawmen, so I played the Outlaws - bent on saving poor David Sloan from a hangin'.  It...didn't work.  My Outlaws were gunned down quite badly, and my buddy was clever about the route he took when dragging the prisoner.  He also decided to knock the prisoner unconscious (the prisoner resists movement randomly each turn - the Lawmen have the option of knocking him unconscious).  This scenario ended with my last model, a wounded doctor (of all people) taking a hostage.  He then decided to flee and tried jumping through a second story window onto a produce stand below.  He died in the process.
Victory: Lawmen

Scenario 2: The Drake's Branch Bank Robbery
I drew Outlaws again, and this time I had to get my two bank robbers off the board, as my other Outlaws came into town on horseback to aid me.  I lucked out and shot up several of Danny's Lawmen before he could react.  A horrible stalemate fight existed in the middle of town, which saw four or five models just tirelessly shooting and attacking each other, with little result.  In the end though, too many Lawmen were shot dead and my Outlaws escaped with their loot.
Victory: Outlaws

Scenario 3: Prison Break
I drew Outlaws again (seeing a trend here?).  In this scenario, Outlaws entered from three sides of the board, against only three lawmen.  The lawmen however could run to the local buildings, and shout for help (passing a Guts test would yield a character card for the Lawmen).  While half of my Outlaws made it to the jail - a set of sturdy Pinkertons and a recruited bounty hunter shot down my outlaws left and right.  The firefight ended up around the jail, but poor luck and poor timing meant it was not to be.

Scenario 4: The Strong Box
The last Old West scenario (we played two Pirate scenaiors, and some Victory at Sea as well!) was centered around a full gang of Outlaws in a centralized Hotel.  They had to steal a very heavy strongbox and get it off one of the main road points.  The Lawmen were scattered around the town.  While it initially looked like the Outlaws would have a fair go at it - Lawmen had been placed randomly, leaving one board edge defended by a single US Marshal...luck intervened.  I drew a Lawmen card (yep, I was lawmen for once!) which allowed me to make a board edge off limits to the Outlaws, hah!  This meant the Outlaws had to exit the board edge heavily covered.  It became a slaughter...with Lawmen perched on roof tops and the Outlaws slowly dragging the strongbox through a withering hail of gunfire.

The Outlaws had tried to grab a cart, but the US Marshal shot dead that attempt.  A determined Thug in the Outlaws gang was dragging the crate himself when he finally succumbed to gunfire.  It was very close at the end, but the luck was not with the Outlaws.

Overall, it was a blast.  We established rules for mounted models, etc.  It worked out very well and each game had fantastic flavor, a lot of eb and flow, and lots of screaming, shouting, and cursing... lol  As Danny will attest, in this game there is NEVER a sure thing.  That's what makes it so damn amusing to play!

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 10:58:31 PM »
your town looks great, love the painted buildings, love to play the rules sometime too

Offline Legionaire22

• Bookworm
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2013, 12:49:45 AM »
Elbows,

Where did you get the artwork for the weapons cards? I have been trying to come up with something similar for my Desperadoes game, but I can't seem to find any decent pictures. Yours are exactly what I have been looking for!!! Could you possibly direct me to the location of those? Or tell me how much you would charge for a copy of yours? Either way I would be immensely greatful.

Thanks!
         Jim
Zombies make me poop!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2013, 04:07:30 AM »
Jim,

All of my stuff is just put together in MS paint using images from Google.  I just pick decent images with all white backgrounds (since I have zero photo editing software).  The fonts are downloaded for free from www.dafont.com ---they have an entire Old West section.

The other marshal badges and blood splatters are again just from google.  Slap em together in paint, using the guide sizes from Gamecrafter, and load them to the site.

If you want I can toss a bunch of images into a folder and email it to ya.  No big deal.

Offline Legionaire22

• Bookworm
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2013, 05:32:32 AM »
Elbows,

Whatever you could throw together and send me would be awesome. M email address is my user name at hotmail dot com.
       Also, I don't know where you live but I live in  central Illinois and would love to game with you if you are close enough.

Thanks Again!!
            Jim

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2013, 06:40:33 AM »
Sadly I'm down in Charleston - have a buddy just south of Cincinatti but that's about it!

I'm at work now, so I'll throw an email together for ya tomorrow afternoon and send it off.