Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:46:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691084
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Quick question on Victory Decision weapon ranges/scale  (Read 2697 times)

Offline seldon

• Scientist
Quick question on Victory Decision weapon ranges/scale
« on: January 11, 2013, 01:57:10 PM »
Ok.. so I'm just starting with victory decision. I'm getting familiar with the rules and getting ready to run a game at my club.

I have a quick question. Has anyone commented on the range of the weapons ? I know the rules are more aimed with gameplay in mind but still it would seem that the ranges of vehicle weapons are a bit short compared to infantry weapons. By no means this is a criticism of the rules, I like them and I'm just curious if the subject has been brought up.

I was even considering that I could have a house rule saying that all these heavy weapons actually have table range but when they are beyond the listed range they get a -2 on their damage dice... I would only try this after playing a few games with the rules as they are.

I'm just asking cause I know it is something that can come up and might turn some players off when I start running games...

cheers
Francisco

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
Re: Quick question on Victory Decision weapon ranges/scale
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 02:35:47 PM »
It is indeed as you say - gameplay decision. The idea is to represent effective range on the tabletop.
Especially hull mounted MGs are deliberately scaled down in range to show the effect of the limited field of fire and sight - that is also the reason why the  same MG has a longer range when pintle mounted.
If you like longer ranges your proposed house rule sounds good to me!
BTW - the topic you raise is also the reason, why I like to play ViDe in 15mm, the ranges look more "real"...  8)
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 02:44:13 PM »
Yes, I'm planning to do games in 15s taking advantage of the extensvie FOW miniatures base... Since I've never been able to get the FOW bug I was looking for something that can play in similar terms but that might catch me and VID seems ideal...

Thanks for your answer.. I'll run it as is and if some purists come up with complains that house rule should fix it. I assumed that the concept was that range would represent the effective range and that is why I thought about the infinite range with the -2. -1 seemed too little to achieve the desired "effective range concept".

I'm also waiting eagerly to order the print on demand version of Gear Krieg and of course one day your VID Heavy Gear ;) !!!

cheers
Francisco

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 02:47:32 PM »
I am on the printware version at the moment!

Heavy Gear might not be possible, DP9 is a bit reluctant, but I am sure that you can play a decent HG game with the upcoming ViDe SF version...
 8)

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 03:17:50 PM »
Sure.. that should be good enough if it has the mecha desing tools :)

DP9 should re-consider :) I'm getting gear kriegs because of the VID rules !