Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:27:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690587
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bolt Action rules for Modern?  (Read 4288 times)

Offline ogryn

• Librarian
  • Mercpancake
Bolt Action rules for Modern?
« on: January 16, 2013, 03:58:27 AM »
What do u guys think.
I plan on using the Warlord Bolt Action rules for a modern Africa setting.
I think everything is there for the rules to work with some minor tweaks and army lists.
I plan to play test my endeavor in a week or two.
I will let u know how it goes.

What rules does everyone else use?

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
Re: Bolt Action rules for Modern?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 07:41:17 AM »
I've not been impressed by Bolt Action, it's not even a good simulation for WW2 never mind anything outside that box. I think you'd be better off converting Rules of Engagement or using Force on Force. Whilst I've not used the latter, it has a strong following and has the advantage of being designed to cover just what you have in mind.

Offline tomek917

• Mad Scientist
    • Anabasis
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 11:04:19 AM »
I've uses Bolt Action for a few games in my Lebanon 1982 project and I have to agree with Janner, I wasn't impressed.

They were just too simple and didn't have any real "flavour" to them. But I've been thinking about a few tweaks and might try them again.
If you already own the rules I would certainly try them out, maybe you find them better than we did!

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 11:22:28 AM »
While I like the generic approach of BA it is IMO too generic when it comes to heavy weapons and vehicles.
Following their design all modern tanks would be more or less the same...
In addition you need some rules for helicopters, ERA, Electronic warfare, Nightfight etc etc
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 12:13:49 PM »
Always use force on force myself which as a dedicated vietnam supplement which has a great campaign system as well, it also as an african bush wars supplement which is good.but a friend of mine is actually tweaking BA for nam at this moment and although I havent played it yet it seems to be good.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 12:24:10 PM »
I suppose it all depends what you want from your games. I too would place BA at the generic end of the spectrum, which to me is actually a plus. I also prefer Force on Force on the whole, but that wouldn't stop me playing modern games with BA.

Depending on what you mean by 'modern Africa' though, the need for representing complicated technology and advanced weaponry, is not a given. Generic vehicles cover a multitude of sins, not least varying degrees of maintenance and the lack of standardisation of equipment amongst some armies. It might matter if you're fighting a first-world force against a third-world military, or insurgents, but not when lower quality forces are fighting amongst themselves. 

It's almost the same model used in 'AK47 Republic' - 'a tank is a tank' and so forth.

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 02:29:06 PM »
I use Force on Force for modern Africa- but it's early days yet. I like Bolt Action too, but I haven't played it yet.

For me, FoF has a nice feel to it, which is very much related to the modern setting, while BA is more generic. I am sure BA will be perfectly good for what you want in mind, but fof has rules for helicopters, civilian mobs, cas-evacs, dogs, drones and so much more, which is why I went for it.

I wanted a rule set that felt like Call of Duty, or like watching 'Ross Kemp in Afghanistan' (if you are familiar with the documentary) and Fof delivers, in spades.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Chuckaroobob

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 07:42:33 PM »
Played BA once but didn't like it.  Played FoF a couple times at cons and while it might be good for small games (2 - 4 players) it really doesn't work for anything bigger.

I use Disposable Heroes for everything from WW1 to current.
They call me "Point Cow"

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 05:15:02 AM »
I am on the opposite end of most of the replies so far.

I play Bolt Action and love it & I play it modified for the Vietnam War with no problems what so ever.  Having said that, I am also playing it as a skirmish game where you activate individual soldiers and not squads.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 08:55:12 AM »
I am on the opposite end of most of the replies so far.

I know the feeling, I felt like a lone voice in the wilderness when Force on Force first came out... and not many people liked those back then.  lol