Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:47:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mini jigsaw  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
Mini jigsaw
« on: January 31, 2013, 02:44:50 AM »
Can anyone recommend a mini jigsaw to use to cut plastic and mdf? Rotocraft keeps coming up in the search engines but is it any good?

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
Re: Mini jigsaw
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 08:56:41 AM »
I have a Proxxon DS 230/E Scroll Saw which is pretty handy for cutting very intricate shapes, especially on hardboard, ply and wood. There's a maximum thickness it can handle for each sheet material (metals included), but I cannot remember them right now, sorry. A selection of different blades as well.

I am pretty much newbie with using it though. There are a couple of things to watch with it, as I have learned: firstly, the size of board you can cut with is limited by the metal 'bow' on which the upper part of the saw rests. Something like 50 to 60 cm, I think. You can of course cut larger pieces but you need to plan it a bit (saw from different directions etc). Secondly, replacing the saw blades is a bit tricky, you need to get the tension just right, and the locations where the blades are inserted are bit fiddly and hard to access. And I did break quite a few blades while learning to use it. So with these caveats in mind it's pretty handy. I saw all sorts of base shapes with it.

Oh, and as it is a table model, it comes with two screws so you can fix the saw on your work table, so it doesn't move around when using it. It's not that heavy, so this is for safety. So you need a table you don't mind sticking screws on.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 09:00:41 AM by Verderer »

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 09:03:35 AM »
I would second a scroll saw. Mine is an entry level one from Axminster and is good for mdf, ply, hardboard etc as you described plus timber stock and even sheet aluminium. I made up some inserts to provide additional support close to the blade hole for small items, and a guide fence, and I've found it does all of this kind of thing better than mucking about with a jigsaw.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 10:11:20 AM »
The last Jigsaw I did had "9-99 years" on the box.  I did it in a day.  I thought that should be in the Guinness Book of Records!  :o
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 10:18:24 AM »
Get an Dremel with the appropriate attachment,I love my Dremel; if only I could use it to weld...
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 09:12:21 PM »
Thanks for the advice - much appreciated!