Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:32:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 630
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: warlord games plastic T34/85  (Read 10337 times)

Offline King Tiger

• Scientist
  • the levels of derp are astounding.
warlord games plastic T34/85
« on: February 01, 2013, 04:14:06 PM »
Suprised I haven't seen this posted yet, warlords latest newsletter pre release showing.
 http://www.warlordgames.com/31242/pre-order-soviet-t-3485-medium-tank/
 http://www.warlordgames.com/store/t34-85-medium-tank.html

Now while I think it being plastic is quite cool, I think they missed (yet another) opportunity (very common for WG these days) its £20...the resin one is £24 and the diewaffenkammer one can be brought for £22.

So its £2-4 less and that's it, to me that seems very meh, really they probably should of given you the parts to make either a 85 or 76, that would seem worth £20, but as is, it's far from exciting and considering warlords average delivery times of 2-3 months like I say I think they have missed something here that could of been quite awesome.

Yes plastic is easier to work with, but I would still pick the waffenkammer one myself, despite costing £2 more
 http://www.greatescapegames.co.uk/miniatures/miniatures-rules-of-engagement/tanks-1/tanks-soviet/dwru005.html
After the amazing quality of the tiger I I got from waffenkammer saving such a tiny amount will not turn me.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
Re: warlord games plastic T34/85
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 08:13:07 PM »
the box also includes decals, ok they are small, but still it is a factor to consider. I have one DWK Stug and to be quite honest I was not overly happy with it, nice model but not awesome as I was thinking.
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
Model looks ok but twenty quid for a plastic kit isn't really that good a deal. Twenty pounds is around $30 AUD. For $23 AUD or £15 I can get a superbly detailed Hobby Boss 1/48 T-34 from a model shop here. And that comes with decals, brass fittings and a complete (and I do mean complete) interior should I be disposed to build it. You can buy the same kit at Hannants in the UK for a tenner. I have one, not exactly a quick build but a lovely and relatively cheap model.

Yeah, yeah it's all about volume of sale, we know. I really wonder what would have happened has PSC come out with a 1/56 version of their T-34 kits as they originally promised. If they can do things at a similar or cheaper price point than Italeri then I reckon Warlord could get closer to the price of a Hobby Boss kit. It's all made in the same place anyway.

Still if they release a platoon deal with a big discount I may well order one, I need some for my Egyptians.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline arktos

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 03:28:35 PM »
20 pounds for a plastic T34/85 ?  :o
What is the logic for that price, i am sincerely curious ???

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 04:05:10 PM »
I have the DWK T-34/85, got it for half-price through Northstar last autumn. I wonder how this one scales to DWK then... I hope I could get couple of these with discount from my FLGS to bolster my Soviets (and surprise my friend  lol ).

Offline tomek917

• Mad Scientist
    • Anabasis
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 05:56:43 PM »
It looks good to me but not at that price I guess.

Isn't the point of plastics to make things cheaper? If there were three tanks in that box I would gladly pay 20 pounds.

Offline King Tiger

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 07:35:41 PM »
20 pounds for a plastic T34/85 ?  :o
What is the logic for that price, i am sincerely curious ???
GW logic perhaps?
"nobody else does it in plastic so we can charge anything we want and your moro.....err we mean 'loyal customers' will buy it anyway"

£18 I think would of been spot on for my wallet.

Offline Hildred Castaigne

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 08:22:06 PM »
GW logic perhaps?
"nobody else does it in plastic so we can charge anything we want and your moro.....err we mean 'loyal customers' will buy it anyway"

£18 I think would of been spot on for my wallet.
Still a lot cheaper than a tank from Games Workshop though.
In fact, twenty pounds seems fairly reasonable for a tank. After all, it is still cheaper than a resin kit or a diecast vehicle.
If the extra two pounds is bothering you so much I'm sure Caliver Books or another retailer will be selling it at a discounted rate.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 08:34:32 PM »

How far in time can we use this tank without major (visible) conversion? Would it look out of place in a Vietnam war setting for example? Or any other "minor" conflict of the 20th century?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 09:34:15 PM »
It was still in use by many countries up until 1996 according to wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-34#Korean_War_.281950.E2.80.931951.29

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 09:36:52 PM »
You could conceivably use a T-34/85 up until the present, thousands were exported and there's bound to be a runner left somewhere on the planet. Last operational use I think was the 1990s in Bosnia but they've seen use in all the Middle East Wars, Vietnam, Angola, the Bay of Pigs, etc, etc. Factories in Poland were churning them out into the late 1950s.

Technically speaking many of the export models were slightly modified prior to export but byou would have to be pretty anal to notice.

Twenty quid a good price point for a tank? Well maybe but from customer point of view I can get one of Bob Winward's truly amazing 1/50 resin tanks like an M1A1 or a Challenger 2 that detail wise is going to leave these for dead and will absolutely dwarf them for size for £22. From a customer POV I'm not so sure that £20 for a plastic tank is that good a deal.

Offline King Tiger

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 06:59:59 AM »
Still a lot cheaper than a tank from Games Workshop though.
In fact, twenty pounds seems fairly reasonable for a tank. After all, it is still cheaper than a resin kit or a diecast vehicle.
If the extra two pounds is bothering you so much I'm sure Caliver Books or another retailer will be selling it at a discounted rate.
Hence why I don't buy GW's vehicles...or infantry...or rulebooks.
And no £20 is fine for a high quality 1/56th scale resin model.
Or a 1/35th scale fine detail tamiya model kit (the T34-76 being £19.99)
This is neither of those, so I personally don't see a point in it, I may as well spend the extra £2 and get a quality resin product since I'm not going to save anything in the first place.

It's a shame since the plastic Russians are not a bad price, they make the other plastic box sets seem expensive.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 07:13:12 AM »
It's a shame since the plastic Russians are not a bad price, they make the other plastic box sets seem expensive.

Well I don't know about the quality of 28mm WW2 Russians by PSC but one does get lots of stuff from their army deal for £35... the minis are then again one-pose but nice deal nevertheless.... actually I should order that, just for the mortars, HMGs and infantry gun.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 07:37:47 AM »
Well I don't know about the quality of 28mm WW2 Russians by PSC but one does get lots of stuff from their army deal for £35... the minis are then again one-pose but nice deal nevertheless.... actually I should order that, just for the mortars, HMGs and infantry gun.

Think Airfix circa 1965 but less definition and arguably worse posing.

I bought a set on spec as source of spare bits. Havent touched it so far. Pity, their 15mm and 20mm stuff is actually quite nice.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 07:41:10 AM »
Ok, good to know. I will then steer away from their infantry at least.