Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:31:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: stripping paint in seconds... really!  (Read 4414 times)

Offline Diceplague

• Librarian
  • No, human... I´M power, knowledge is doom!
    • Diceplague Wargame Blog
stripping paint in seconds... really!
« on: March 13, 2013, 10:09:42 PM »
Yeah... I know what you´re thinking: "Here we go... another crazy mambo-jambo to strip paint..."

But this is IT!!! The so incredible simple tip to strip paint (oil and acrilic) on metal, plastic and even resin with a fast, secure, proven and easy way.

I´m too lazy and chemical frightened to wait for days soaking minis on smelly and hazardous chemicals that can transform your brain in a useless jelly. I wanted a fast and harmless way to do it and have tried everything I saw in foruns like this. All I achieved was a partially screwed miniature, itching hands and complaints from my better half. Until one day I was cleaning my brushes with the Winsor & Newton Brush cleaner and restorer and I accidentally let a drip fall on a primed metal miniature. When I tried to clean it the paint was already dissolving and EUREKA!!!

All you need to do is to use one old toothbrush with a small amount of the brush cleaner and you can strip ALL THE PAINT within less than a minute of not so vigorous brushing (I´m lazy... have I told you that?).

I´ve tried on metal, plastic and resin and the results were the same: stripped paint and one unscratched mini in seconds. It´s sooooo fast that you will not believe that you had lost your time with all the voodoo procedures. It´s health safe as its written on the bottle but I usually do it outside the house (there´s some fumes that you can smell). With just a bottle cap of the liquid I can clean 3-4 28mm minis and in a matter of minutes It´ll be ready to paint all over again!!! I don´t know if other brush cleaners will work ´cause I´ve never tried (my 120ml of the stuff is lasting forever). FAST, CHEAP AND EASY just like this lazy-cheaper-hobbyst like it!

PS1.: Use an old brush as it will be rendered useless (except for striping again) :D
 PS2.: I don´t own the company or sell the stuff  ;D
"Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas."
http://diceplague.blogspot.com.br

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
Re: stripping paint in seconds... really!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:12:22 PM »
Will give this a go on one or two of the mountain of figures which I've put in the "Let's try that again" category. The other name for this category is the "Was I drunk when I painted that?" list.

Offline Diceplague

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 10:31:37 PM »
... The other name for this category is the "Was I drunk when I painted that?" list.

Yeap! Have some of those too... and the answer is... yes, i was...  lol

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »
It is a good job it strips in seconds as I had put some in a hard plastic container to clean my brushes, went back the next day and it had eaten through the plastic........................
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 11:33:55 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  I've been wanting to strip a few figs and was wondering what to try first.   :)
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 08:20:48 AM »
Will have to give this a go.

Could be the end of those Dettol fumes.....please.

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 11:07:26 PM »
Diceplague;
Where do you get this "Winsor & Newton Brush cleaner and restorer" product? Also, will it work on the Wizkids figures or will it be too harsh and melt them like it did Mindenbrush's hard plastic container? Finally, do you have to rinse them off afterwards, and will paint adhere to the surface after they have been stripped?

Thanks for the answers in advance.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 12:09:26 AM »
Cor.  :o

This is the only brush cleaner I can find on the W&N site.  Is that it...?

Offline Diceplague

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 02:04:25 AM »
@ Hitman : I´ve bought mine on Michael´s Store at US. Two days ago I´ve stripped the paint on a mini that came with the Ravenloft Board Game. It was a skeleton made of a very soft and cheap plastic and the skeleton was unscratched nor softer than it was before. Maybe because It´s very fast to brush and take all the paint (less than 1 minute) an with just a little amount of the stuff. Rinse aftewards and let the mini a couple of seconds under runnig water. Had no problem with priming and painting none of my stripped minis (and they were under pressure on the gaming table with kids of 6 and 4 years old   ;) ).

@ Vermis: This is the one i have. I´m pretty sure they sell it on Amazon.

I´ll try to make a video to show how mindblowingfast is to use it but I live in the heart of the rainforest in Brazil and my internet connection sucks so much that even the thought of uploading a video make my body shudder in lazy despair... ::) Maybe one of you good chaps over here can prove the method and post his impressions for everyone or wait about 2 weeks when I´ll be back to civilization lol. I guarantee that you´ll find it amazing too.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 12:19:59 PM »
@ Vermis: This is the one i have. I´m pretty sure they sell it on Amazon.

They do, but it still has to be shipped from the US.  Doing a google for it, it does seem to be an americas-only product.  :?  I wonder if that orange gunge would do the same job...

I´ll try to make a video to show how mindblowingfast is to use it but I live in the heart of the rainforest in Brazil

:o

Wow.

So did you mean 'Amazon' the website, or...? ;D ;)

Edit: oh, waitaminnit... the W&N site also has this, squirrelled away.  Looks like a safer bet as an equivalent, if not the same thing.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:25:16 PM by Vermis »

Offline Diceplague

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 04:05:10 PM »
@ Vermis : Yeah. My bet is that it´ll work too. I meant Amazon website. But in the Amazon Selva (jungle) you can get great stuffs for wargaming too!!! For free!!! lol My life on the jungle is a pulp dream (sometimes nightmares) baby!  ;D

Offline Ninja

• Mad Scientist
    • Broken Egg Games
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 09:38:04 PM »
Would love to see a video on it!
Break out of your gaming shell! www.brokenegggames.com

"Yes, I am a ninja and no I won't show you my moves."

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 10:30:45 PM »
Does it work as well with metallic paints? (Acrylic paint in metallic colors, that is)

Offline Diceplague

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 01:14:55 AM »
@cherno: Yes it works on metal color if is acrylic or oil paint

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 02:17:36 AM »
I tried it today and it really does work well, put some in a container and dropped my 'matt varnish' test figure in it which has around 20 coats of polyuretane matt varnish on it. Back to bare metal in about 30 minutes.

BUT!

Beware leaving plastic figures in for too long as they will melt. I tried a piece of spruce from a Renedra building kit and that only took 15 minutes to soften and disfigure.