Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:01:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686663
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy skirmish - what options?  (Read 2581 times)

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
Fantasy skirmish - what options?
« on: March 17, 2013, 10:23:39 PM »
I like the sweep of games like Impetvs at small scales (15mm and below), and the simplicity of Song of Blades and... for small numbers of figures but now I'm after something in the middle; what options do I have?

I see a lot of love for SAGA, and I'll admit to being mightily intrigued by the tactical aspect of matching dice and boards, along with approximately thirty figures which can be based on rough skirmish movement trays. I've also seen that a few folk are trying to port it across for Lord of the Rings gaming, or Westeros ets. I'm after something which plays like SAGA looks in the online pictures I found, but with a wide range of fantasy options. Orcs, goblins, elves, dwarfs, giants, dragons, skeletons, goblins riding giant tortoises as if they were mumakil (well done, Thantsants, your blog made me want one  ::))... you know the drill! Oh, and if the "thirty figures" thing was a bit vague, I'm after a game with mobs/units/gangs, not individuals unless they're heroes, so great games like Dave King's Skulldred aren't what I'm after today.

So, what options do I have? What do you recommend?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:26:01 PM by Mister Rab »

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
Re: Fantasy skirmish - what options?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 11:16:37 PM »
Fanticide is very similar to SAGA in how it plays, but with a card mechanic rather than the boards.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 02:21:30 AM »
Havoc is good fun - here's a battle report and a review I did some time ago. It is a skirmish game and there are options for heroes, but you can game with just rank and file and can activate up to 6 models at a time - depending on how you group them.

I'm not familiar with SAGA so hopefully this is kind of what your after.

Oh and everyone should have at least one Giant Tortoise crewed by Goblins in their collection!  ;)

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 03:24:25 AM »
I'll toss my hat into the ring.  The fantasy supplement will be out in June. But you can download the free ashcan supplement from Wargame Vault.

Here's a link to get you started http://theminiaturespage.com/news/?id=1843871771
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 10:12:15 PM »
Thanks chaps, for your suggestions. I've had a little pooter around the web and so far I think Havoc is closest to what I'm after. There isn't a huge amount out there about it, but what there is chimes nicely with what I had in mind.

The deal-breaker question, though, is would I be able to field that tortoise?  lol

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 10:27:39 PM »
There's also Warrior Heroes from Two Hour Wargames and Dungeon Delves though I haven't played either.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 11:23:22 PM »
Warrior Heroes is a great ruleset. Also playable solo!

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 08:39:29 AM »
After having looked around the web too for a similar set of rules, I've actually been shocked as to how few there are of this category.

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 09:00:02 AM »
Mr Rab I think you would very much enjoy fantacide, Do be aware it is rated M though. Not so good for young master Rab.

Spot on - I'd like something that could be a joint enterprise with the little fella, certainly by the time he's eight or nine.

Dijit - so was I!

Warrior Heroes? I'll check it out.

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 10:47:21 AM »
Warrior Heroes? I'll check it out.
Here you have a full campaign played with many skirmishers using Warrior Heroes Armies and Adventurers by THW. Now there is a new ruleset in THW called Warrior Heroes Legends. They are similar but not the same, and have been written by different authors.
WHAA it's a bit messy to read and understand first time, but it's a marvellous toolbox from where you can build anything you want: http://javieratwar.blogspot.com.es/search/label/Campaign.%20Warrior%20Heroes%20Armies%20and%20Adventurers
Also see this thread: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=51431.0
Cheers,
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 10:50:06 AM by blacksmith »

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 11:34:59 AM »
Cheers blacksmith, oh and I should have said I'm taking a good look at Brink... as well, Faust.