Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:50:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Barbarians, April 12!]  (Read 63784 times)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Town square 3/2!]
« Reply #165 on: March 03, 2014, 11:51:13 AM »
Great idea with the town square, I think I'll have to borrow that!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #166 on: March 03, 2014, 01:16:22 PM »
They look SPLENDID...a nice open, paved area for festivals, market days, public executions/excruciations , & other civic gaiety. GREAT WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #167 on: March 04, 2014, 03:51:30 AM »
Thanks guys! Nala, I guess I will have to go about building a little stockade or gallows to put the fear of god into my little villagers.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #168 on: March 06, 2014, 12:20:48 AM »
Here's another small terrain project that's been kicking around my workshop for some time now. These graveyard pieces came from Acheson Creations, and it was always my goal to base them up and create a proper graveyard for my undead army. But even though this was going to be a small project -- just 3 resin pieces on an MDF base, painted and flocked -- I kept putting it off in favor of other projects.

Well, that all changed last weekend, when I decided to just finish it once and for all. Here's the finished product:

The MDF is painted a dark olive green but for some reason it caught the light in these photos and appears much lighter. It blends in pretty well with the flock in real life.

Here's the graveyard with a wight from my undead warband. He  looks right at home!

And here are a couple of RAFM skeletons getting a feel for their new home.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #169 on: March 06, 2014, 12:39:05 AM »
Now that it's done, the graveyard looks SPLENDID... &the Wight seems to be a Merry Fellow. This may give me a push to get back on track with my own W.I.P. Graveyard. VERY WELL DONE!

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Graveyard 3/5!]
« Reply #170 on: March 17, 2014, 07:40:40 PM »
Here's a bigger project ... a frost giant from Reaper's Bones line! I skipped the Bones Kickstarter but nonetheless got my hands on plenty of figures, since virtually everyone else in my game club went in on that Kickstarter. So I've got plenty of white vinyl minis to play around with.

I started with this fellow. He's going to be a frost giant for my dwarf army, and I'll also run him as a god if my club dabbles in Of Gods and Mortals (several of us picked up the rulebook). So look for this guy to get on the battlefield soon, in a variety of ways!

He's pretty big, although I didn't put a figure in there for scale. His base is probably equivalent in size to 3x or 4x traditional 25mm slotta bases.

I was originally planning to dip him in Minwax Polyshades Tudor, as I often do, but I decided against it. The dip can sometimes impart a slight yellowish hue to miniatures. Usually that's fine (and I paint mostly using earth tones to take advantage of that effect). But in this case, combined with his bright blue skin, it would have resulted in a GREEN FROST GIANT! And no on wants that. So, no dip.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: Frost Giant 3/17!!]
« Reply #171 on: March 17, 2014, 08:32:34 PM »
That is a SPECTACULAR piece....GREAT color choice & your brushwork made the most of a cool mini. The contrast between the warmth of the base & the cold of the Giant's skin tones adds to the pieces appeal for moi. VERY WELL DONE!

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2014, 02:12:11 PM »
Thanks! After I posted these pics I went back and did a bit more brushwork on this guy...big figures like this are never truly done, don't ya know? I'll try to post another pic of him as soon as we play again.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #173 on: April 14, 2014, 09:19:05 PM »
I spent most of this weekend laboring over this terrain piece. It started life as a prepainted 3-piece inn from Blue Moon. It's been on my shelf for more than a year and I've always planned on polishing it up a little bit. The painting was OK but I knew I could do better. Here's the original:

As I got to work this weekend, though, I noticed that the sculpting was a little soft, particularly on the brick walls. Thankfully the whole thing is made of rigid foam, not resin, so I was able to take a ballpoint pen and score the brickwork to make it pop a little better.

But of course once you start down that path, it's hard to stop! In the end I ended up redoing the brickwork on the entire building by hand.

I stuck it on a piece of MDF and added some greenery to the fringes. Most of my medieval village stuff is similarly based so this will fit in well.

I'm not sure if I'll glue the three sections (base, middle, roof) together so it's 1 solid piece. That was my original plan but the interior of the two levels are hollow and could be used for storage.

Here's a closeup of the hand-drawn brickwork.

I'm planning to feature this terrain piece prominently in a game of Song of Blades & Heroes this week. Stay tuned for a battle report!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Fantasy warbands for skirmish gaming [Latest: The Inn, repainted 4/14!]
« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2014, 09:41:03 PM »
Very nice, though I chuckled a bit at the rear stairs which appear to be 2-3' tall a piece!  NO HALFLINGS ALLOWED!
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2014, 09:43:11 PM »
Very nice, though I chuckled a bit at the rear stairs which appear to be 2-3' tall a piece!  NO HALFLINGS ALLOWED!

Yes, it's funny but *very* practical for wargaming purposes. It's practically screaming for a swashbuckling sword fight up and down the stairs.  :D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:57:44 PM by PatrickWR »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #176 on: April 14, 2014, 09:56:47 PM »
Yeah I totally get it...far too many structures feature realistic stairs which don't help figures sitting on 25mm bases.   lol

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #177 on: April 15, 2014, 02:58:16 PM »
Here's another building I just finished up. It's kind of a mystery -- I bought a big bag of loose terrain pieces in an auction, and contained therein was this structure, in resin pieces (4 walls and a roof). It went together just fine but I have no idea the origin of this building. It's nice and small so I'm thinking it will be a guard house for the outskirts of my town, where the civilized streets and alleys of Vildeburg give way to the northern wilderlands.

Offline krieghund

• Scientist
  • Beyond all Reason
« Reply #178 on: April 15, 2014, 05:58:01 PM »
Nice work on the inn,you can come and re-point my house. lol

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
    • Comrade's Wargames
« Reply #179 on: April 15, 2014, 08:52:25 PM »