Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:00:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686611
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 753
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lead Painters' League - Season 2 Tables  (Read 42184 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Lead Painters' League - Season 2 Tables
« on: April 17, 2008, 02:13:47 PM »
And finally the table after the first round  :)

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 02:26:52 PM »
What do the columns "Votes +" and "Votes -" mean, and how do they contribute to the number of "Vote points"?  Does one earn vote points by having the most votes, or does one earn vote points by having the greatest difference between votes + and votes -?

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 02:30:29 PM »
Damn, I hoped the Arabs would do for natives :lipps:
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 03:49:05 PM »
Ditto! Hoped my cthulhu Savages would have got extra points as well...gotta get going on round 5 for extra points then!

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 03:56:48 PM »
sorry, guys, but the bonus theme was "Aztecs, Mayas, Inkas or Amazon savages"  :)

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 04:04:10 PM »
You are correct sir. I was just looking at the rules again to see if I could lawyer a few more points for myself...I make me sick sometimes, I'm such a nerd it hurts me. I will get those points for Round 5 thou! I swear it on my stack of rulebooks!

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 04:29:05 PM »
I've been looking over the rules, especially the points system, in greater detail.  I'm sorry to be a pain-in-the-a** here, but I just don't get the votes points.  I quote the rule below:

”In addition, participants receive "bonus points" depending on the number of votes cast. For this, the number of votes received by the participant is divided by 10, the result being the number of "bonus points" the participant receives, ranging from 0 (9 votes or less) to a maximum of 5 (50 votes or more).”

I say "I don't get them" because, according to another thread, some teams have more votes because they have been posted for a longer period of time.  This quote below was posted in answer to a question about why some matches have more votes:

”that's easy, I've started some of the polls 1-2 days ago in the Admin board”

So, of course, I’m wondering if it’s fair to award points for more votes if some matches have been posted for longer, and therefore have had more time to earn votes.  Or am I misunderstanding something?

(By the way, looking at the table at the start of the thread, it seems Uncle Mike has earned 9 vote points, which I assume is an error given the rule quoted above.)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 04:52:11 PM »
please do not spoil what for me is a great amount of fun by nit picking the rules. Surely they are guidelines for the league to work not the law.

I, as I am certain are many others here, not in it for the winning but for the taking part, the taking part of a wonderful online community of folk with a mutual interest in toy soldiers.

and please, please do not get the Prof. thinking that with all the effort he puts in he starts wondering is it worth his effort
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 05:06:46 PM »
Having run my own online painting competitions, I know exactly how much work Alex is putting into this and expressed my appreciation when I submitted my most recent team.  I repeat it here: Thanks Prof. for hosting this great event.  I am enjoying myself as both a contestant and an onlooker.  

Like you Svennn, I am in this for the fun of painting, and have no expectation of winning (in part, because I won't be able to enter many teams).  In fact, my most recent question doesn't impact my team as it earned enough votes, according to the rules, to earn the maximum point bonus.  What I'm trying to say is that I'm not lobbying for extra votes for my entry.  

However, not having participated the first time around, this is all new to me and I'm trying to figure it out.  I have asked for clarification of the rules once or twice already, just so I can plan entries.  Also, I have noticed what I think is a glitch in the rules, and would appreciate reassurance.  I hope I'm not annoying the Prof. so much that he regrets my participation in particular, and the contest in general.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 05:20:55 PM »
Quote from: "Mancha"
I've been looking over the rules, especially the points system, in greater detail.  I'm sorry to be a pain-in-the-a** here, but I just don't get the votes points.  I quote the rule below:

”In addition, participants receive "bonus points" depending on the number of votes cast. For this, the number of votes received by the participant is divided by 10, the result being the number of "bonus points" the participant receives, ranging from 0 (9 votes or less) to a maximum of 5 (50 votes or more).”

That´s it pretty much. The more votes you get, the more bonus points you can score, up to a maximum of +5 points. This "capping" is done in order to prevent "landslide" victories unduly tilting the tables, so that people have a chance of coming back.

I say "I don't get them" because, according to another thread, some teams have more votes because they have been posted for a longer period of time.  This quote below was posted in answer to a question about why some matches have more votes:

”that's easy, I've started some of the polls 1-2 days ago in the Admin board”

So, of course, I’m wondering if it’s fair to award points for more votes if some matches have been posted for longer, and therefore have had more time to earn votes.  Or am I misunderstanding something?

Since any member of the board can only vote once, regardless of status, it will only mean that some (I don´t even know who has access to the board, AFAIK only the Prof and maybe Knoxville) voted earlier. There´s a week of voting time per round, and most people will already vote on Mondays, there´s no loss incurred that I can see.

(By the way, looking at the table at the start of the thread, it seems Uncle Mike has earned 9 vote points, which I assume is an error given the rule quoted above.)

That must be a typo, indeed. Probably should be a 0 (sorry to U. Mike).

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 06:14:15 PM »
Quote from: "Prof.Witchheimer"
sorry, guys, but the bonus theme was "Aztecs, Mayas, Inkas or Amazon savages"  :)

Bah, I thought any conquistador-related natives would do. Never mind, I don't intend to buy indios.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 06:46:17 PM »

”that's easy, I've started some of the polls 1-2 days ago in the Admin board” .)

Yes, you are. Only two members have access to the Admin board (me and knoxville). We don’t vote in the Admin board. We do vote first after moving the polls on Monday to the LPL board. Thus it doesn’t make any difference when I’ve started the poll.

The fact that some polls did get less points is up to the fact that not all members are going to vote to all polls. That was the experience of the First LPL Season too. I can’t change it, that’s just the way things are.

Apart from that, how you know we have a limit for the votes bonus points. So it doesnt make any difference if you have 70 or 80 votes, you’ll get just 5 points.

Why I’m going to start the polls in the admin board? Just to give you all the pleasure to see some great competition pics Monday morning. Actually I’m going to work on Monday and in my office I have to work and I ‘m not able to start all the polls while I’m working. I’m sure you can understand that. Thus if I would not start the polls in good time, you all would have to wait until Monday afternoon to see the polls.

The only difference is actually that the polls from the admin board don’t appear in the “View posts since last visit “ list on Monday. You have to go to the LPL board to find them.

If you still think that’s not fair and should be changed, I can start all the polls in the LPL board but how said, first on Monday afternoon.

it was a typo, sorry.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 06:48:10 PM »
 I hope I'm not annoying the Prof. so much that he regrets my participation in particular, and the contest in general.

No worries, it's alright :-)

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 06:55:56 PM »
Thank you for the explanation.  I was hoping it was something like that.

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 07:19:04 PM »
Look on the bright side Mancha  :mrgreen:

At least you didn't get Zoogla'd  :lol:

In the words of the song.....The only way is up  :wink:
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388