Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:18:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My ATZ zombies project : 90 zeds Horde completed, 8 survivors completed  (Read 28384 times)

Offline Badger Loving Fluffster

• Bookworm
Re: My ATZ zombies project W.I.P (first 30 zeds completed)
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2013, 09:57:38 PM »
Good result there

I'm glad it worked out not too bad in the end :)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2013, 10:17:14 PM »
Thanks for the kind words all of you   :)

Tommorow I'll make some pics of the minis. NOt that bad, thinking how they were a few hours ago !

edit : concerning bases, I base all my figs on washers now. I use diferent types of washers, so I can easily mix "heroic" and "not so heroic" scale. And I think it's more good looking than thick bases, giving a more natural look, less "museum statue" feeling (personal opinion). It also give more stability to the plastic minis, and can be sticked on a magnetized board if needed.

On the male zombies, it's particular since the bodies came with integrated base. I kept them and added a washer behind.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 11:10:35 PM by sundayhero »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2013, 12:48:37 PM »
Here's some (really) final pics of the first 30 zeds  lol

As you can see, the result is OK. On a tabletop army painting quality scale, if before varnishing it was 6/10, now it's around 5/10 IMHO  (...this last statement will remind something to french people who like humoristic tv show Kaamelot  lol).

In the salvage process, I lost some washes and ink effets, especially the "pinstripping" (black lining between diferent parts of the figure, wich is a really old school but eficient tabletop painting technic  lol). But, overall, it's OK when I take the figures as a Horde and not individuals.

In fact, I think I'll will not do any black lining on the next figures. The result is still good, and I'll save A LOT of time (black lining is the longest stage in painting these figures).

To be continued. Probably some survivors, and my first customized (green stuffed) zeds.

thanks for the kind words and support !
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 12:50:51 PM by sundayhero »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2013, 12:49:45 PM »
oups, double post, sorry

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2013, 05:43:07 PM »
Hi,

I started to work on a small group of survivors (5 minis). Why 5 ? Because I've got 5 perfect size washers for basing them  lol

I'm really impressed by the wargames factory survivors multipart set. I see multiple uses for them  :o

Here's some pics to show you some details of them :

Next step : building the survivors group.

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2013, 05:58:24 PM »
 :o Missed this thread but great results so far. I will follow this with a lot of interest because I am planning exactly the same project and I am saving up to buy exactly the same models... Not to play ATZ but Zombicide. I will steal uhhh borrow some of your ideas  :D

Regards,
Za

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2013, 06:03:11 PM »
thanks !

Perhaps you should take a look on ATZ. I didn't play it already, but it really seems to be a great game.

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2013, 06:06:42 PM »
I think I have the PDF somewhere mhhh.... Those survivors look really good.

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2013, 09:43:57 PM »
ATZ is a great rule set.

I love playing it and look forward to seeing your AAR.

If you havnt seen it already, look up a blog by a bloke named Vampifan.
His blog has an excellent series of ATZ games AARs that really explain ATZ well.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2013, 10:19:02 PM »
I can't wait to play. I bought the rulesets a few months ago, but since I choosed 28mm scale, everything is a bit slow when you're a solo gamer as I am.

I painted the gaming board, some zombies, and tonight I built 3 survivors of the first 5 planned (not so easy to find cool settings!). I still need to make a few city buildings to be able to start ATZ properly.

Concerning vampifan, yes I know it, it's one of the websites wich made me interested in zombies miniatures gaming (and chain reaction system)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 10:30:13 PM by sundayhero »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2013, 09:48:17 AM »
Here's the first pics of the 3 survivors I already built.

I'm currently workin on 2 more survivors  :

Here's also a pic of scale comparison. It works pretty well with my zeds, no soucy.

I didn't clean them with sand paper or whatever, I just glued the pieces in place  lol I still need to improve them (and probably add green stuff details).

The fun part building these survivors from the sprues is to think about a possible life background for each one. What kind of weapon should he carry, etc...

The bad side of this is that it takes me ages  :D

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2013, 04:52:11 PM »
Zombies look ace nice job on them so far look forward to seeing the horde grow. The survivors are great a start. I'm hoping to get this set soon.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2013, 06:57:13 PM »
Thank you !

I finished my survivors group. Finally, 8 members. I tried to kept a "very first degree" look into them, not funny at all  :D  I tried to think about their background, building them. They are people I can imagine surviving (at least a few days/weeks) the zombie apocalypse.

Woman and children : the woman is a WF zombie female, using the "less zombie" face and body from the set. I gave her a baseball bat, a "weapon" easily available in any house with child, to protect her kids. The small kid is converted with the cop hat (removed with cutter and sanded down). His weapon is the long range carbine, wich is an obvious choice for a physicaly weak character.

The teenager found (who knows how) a AK47. He's one of the heavy support of the "team".

The "cold stone" guys : some silent death from the crossbow, firepower from the cop gun. I wanted that these characters with a feeling of self control, so I choosed faces representing that feeling.

The big guys :

These are the muscle of the group. 2 of them are carrying back pack for gear, because they are the physically strongest characters. They are carrying both close combat and short ranged weapons (the uniform guy doesn't for now).

I still have to fix some defects, add some details (from sprues but also sculpted in greenstuff), and modify some minis (make the women shoulders thinner, give the fat guy some running shoes.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2013, 07:26:36 PM »

I didn't clean them with sand paper or whatever, I just glued the pieces in place  lol I still need to improve them (and probably add green stuff details).

The fun part building these survivors from the sprues is to think about a possible life background for each one. What kind of weapon should he carry, etc...

The bad side of this is that it takes me ages  :D
I don't use sandpaper on minis!! Assuming you mean fine grade wet and dry? You really shouldn't need that on plastic mould lines. A good blade at a 45 degree angle will do the trick.

Good luck
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2013, 07:29:31 PM »
I use car painter sandpaper without any problem, from 240 to 1000, on metal and plastic minis  ;)

It's the same thing that using a metal file, in my opinion.