Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:24:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Speaking of Orcs... our quick Orc bannermen mods (pg 3 human bannerman fin)  (Read 8860 times)

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
  • Orcs will rule the world, if we're not careful
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Re: Speaking of Orcs... our quick Orc bannermen mods (Latest: Vendel orcs)
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 02:02:29 AM »
I'm glad you're enjoying the figures and blog. It's great to put our world all together in this format, and see it be of interest to folks who don't play in it. Please, leave some comments or questions too!

Saturday night we got to play and had the perfect opportunity to get the new orc bannermen some action.

Our player characters' Kildarian (http://swordandsorcery99.wordpress.com/populations/kildarians/) allies were besieged by a joint force of Vangen orcs (http://swordandsorcery99.wordpress.com/populations/vangens/) and Nil-ith Horn troops (http://swordandsorcery99.wordpress.com/populations/nil-ith-horn/).

The Vangen orc bannermen lead the charge towards the palisade:

Jev

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
Nice collection of miniatures (with awesome paint jobs I might add) you have amassed.
Looking good!
 :-*

Offline Bergil

• Mad Scientist
  • Toy maker
Awesome photo  :-*

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
  • Bhí mé ag ól uisce beatha
    • Black Swan Painting
I visited your blog again as I am most impressed by your work. Thanks for the closeup you put here on the thread, so nice to see them enlarged for detail.

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
This is a great way to play -- the living campaign is an art form that is hard to find nowadays. I salute your dedication to your unique world.

What ruleset do you use for your games?

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
I LOVE the Group Portraits. Your Campaign is HIGHLY motivational & inspiring. Keep up your SPLENDID WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Great paintjob, and for sure you know how to take inspiring shots with your camera!! :o

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Thanks a bunch everyone!
Nice collection of miniatures (with awesome paint jobs I might add) you have amassed.
Looking good!

Thank you! The collection is a result of 30+ years (my husband started young) of scouring the racks & web for minis that "fit" our world. Also, since we play with them, they get handled and worn so older paint jobs get touch-ups now and again that seems to keep everything looking good together.

Awesome photo

Thank you! That was a night of many pictures. (I love digital media, shoot 70 to get 4, no cost for film!) This pic in particular worked right off the bat. That didn't stop me from snapping several different angles just to be sure  o_o.

I visited your blog again as I am most impressed by your work. Thanks for the closeup you put here on the thread, so nice to see them enlarged for detail.
Thanks and your welcome, Oleary. The blog is constantly expanding, I'm trying to set it up more like a website so new players (and curious visitors) can find areas of interest with ease, since I myself have a terrible time with tags. Something I need to work on.

This is a great way to play -- the living campaign is an art form that is hard to find nowadays. I salute your dedication to your unique world.

What ruleset do you use for your games?

Thank you. We are so very lucky to have dedicated gamers. I have to give a shout out to Blaythen, he's my husband's cousin who has been with us since the game was played with a battlemat and index cards. We have other long time gamers; they aren't on the LAF, but they are still awesome and show up with smiles on their faces.  :)

We use Mongoose's Conan ruleset that came out of the Dungeon & Dragons open license period (3? 3.5?). We are very influenced by Robert E. Howard to begin with, and the low-magic aspect, along with rules for armor that seem "realistic" made the ruleset fit our world hand-in-glove.

Patrick, what impressed me about your game (sorry name escapes me) was the fun aspect of the diverse minis you can use. Inclusive to whatever your group desires. Happy gamers=  longer campaigns.

I LOVE the Group Portraits. Your Campaign is HIGHLY motivational & inspiring. Keep up your SPLENDID WORK!

Thanks! I love pictures with lots of figures too. The massed collection is a part of collecting I've always enjoyed! I'm so glad you find our campaign this engaging. Your feedback is exciting and inspirational itself!

Great paintjob, and for sure you know how to take inspiring shots with your camera!!

Thanks! Really it's taking oodles of pictures when you're learning. Then as you improve, you still take oodles of shots to get it "Just Right." We do have an awesome tabletop with recessed eyeball spots above it. (My husband & his dad built our house; if I had a nickle for every time my father-in-law asked "You're sure you want to do that?" I could afford more overseas minis.)

I enjoy my camera, but I know others here just want to get the mini posted. My advice would still be, take lots of pictures, with different settings, when you find one that looks good read the metadata and then write down what worked. Now you have a starting point to experiment with the next photo session. (Not to belabor a point, but PM me, I'm happy to share what has worked for me.)

Thank you again everyone! The comments are encouraging, intelligent, inspirational, and really make me want to go take more pictures!

Jev

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Here's one more pic of the siege our orc bannermen debuted in:

Battlereport-comic of this night coming soon to the blog.

Play find the bannermen. Enjoy!
Jev

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
Jesus! Look at that table with all those amazing minis and terrain; I am officially jealous! The fort is amazing but the massed cavalry is truly great (coming from a man that has never painted a horse).

Great pics, please keep them coming,
 Damien

(bannerman @ right hand corner)

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
Wow that shot is a brain bazooka!!!

Awesome!
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline PatrickWR

• Scientist
  • Fully Painted Since 2010
    • Comrade's Wargames
I just browsed your site, and I've got to say your collection of "townsfolk/peasant" miniatures is astounding! That is the one element that really brings a village scene to life, at least for me.

My problem is that I can't find the time to paint up a couple dozen peasants, because I'd rather use that time to paint stuff like orcs, dwarves, dungeon monsters and other scary stuff!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
I may have mentioned this before, but I LOVE Group Portraits & action scenes. A combination of both is a WONDROUS way to start my day! Thanks for the jump start!

Offline Jevenkah

• Mad Scientist
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
Jesus! Look at that table with all those amazing minis and terrain; I am officially jealous! The fort is amazing but the massed cavalry is truly great (coming from a man that has never painted a horse).

Great pics, please keep them coming,
 Damien

(bannerman @ right hand corner)

There's nothing like a full-on cavalry charge to try to dissuade besiegers on the open plains! That is a lot of horse flesh. I hate painting horses too. My husband (Teshub) does a much better job. Matter of fact, I had him paint my PC's horse when I did the mounted & on foot versions :)

Thanks for the awesome compliments! Other folks go out, we've always stayed in and painted or modeled or gamed and spent fun money on minis for a long time now. I will keep posting pics; I enjoy sharing our toys.
4 more bannermen to find!

Wow that shot is a brain bazooka!!!

lol Great expression! Thanks for the laugh.

I just browsed your site, and I've got to say your collection of "townsfolk/peasant" miniatures is astounding! That is the one element that really brings a village scene to life, at least for me.

My problem is that I can't find the time to paint up a couple dozen peasants, because I'd rather use that time to paint stuff like orcs, dwarves, dungeon monsters and other scary stuff!

But if you don't have the peasants, who will the orcs threaten? Seriously though, I'm glad to hear they make the scene stand out for you. We just got a load of animals from the just-about-defunct Megaminis; they should add even more character.

I may have mentioned this before, but I LOVE Group Portraits & action scenes. A combination of both is a WONDROUS way to start my day! Thanks for the jump start!

My pleasure! You've given me quite a few happy smiles from your work! More action scenes to come, then.

Thanks all for the nice words, and thanks for checking out the blog too. It was started as a place to post all the "Made With Minis Comics"  http://swordandsorcery99.wordpress.com/comics/ together and it's starting to take on a life of its own.

Happy painting!
Jev

ps- re: comics, "Lords of Timlin#2" will be posted this week, either Friday morning or Thursday night, US ES time.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:01:54 PM by Jevenkah »

Offline einarolafson

• Mastermind
    • Einar Olafson Painting
Those battle scenes are impressive!!  :o :-*