Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 07:52:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Western Desert: P.125 - SdKfz10 half-track with 2cm Flak 30  (Read 281818 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks Fred, for the suggestions  :)
Anyone else with any other schemes to propose, I'd love to see them  8)

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
Captain Blood doing vehicles :o I can't wait to see the finished model, it's going to look brilliant. WW2 game for BLAM17 Richard?
Did you decide on what rules to use yet?

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
Hey Richard starting on vehicles!! Be careful when you open that can of worms it can become an addiction. I think you did a very good build not to much stowage just the right amount I think. I would leave the turret as is as some rules systems demand a rotating turret.

Looking forward seeing you paint it up now!
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks chaps.
I have duly replaced the headlights and headlight guards with wire. Quite how durable these will be, I'm not sure as they're only touched into place with a dab of superglue. But I agree they look better than the solid plastic mouldings. Quite hard to bend four tiny pieces of stiff wire to exactly identical shape and length, so they look a bit clunky at the moment, but once painted, I think they'll work.
I've also a added a fuel line from the (reserve?) fuel tank into the back of the hull. And one more bit of stowage - a nice coil of Frostgrave rope!

Slightly concerned that I undercoated the whole thing yesterday with Humbrol Matt Black enamel, partly thinned with Humbrol enamel thinners so as not to obscure any surface detail, and 24 hours later, this undercoat still feels slightly soft and tacky. It almost has the feel of the dreaded 'paint that never quite goes off'...  :(
Any clues?
Stick it in the airing cupboard to see if it hardens I guess?
I haven't used Humbrol paints for years, and have forgotten how they behave... How long should it take to dry out completely? Or should I wash the whole thing off with white spirit and redo using something else? (Which would be effing annoying... )

Captain Blood doing vehicles :o I can't wait to see the finished model, it's going to look brilliant. WW2 game for BLAM17 Richard?
Did you decide on what rules to use yet?

Thanks Jeff.
Actually, Brent has kindly shared a prototype of his gaming group's home-brewed Battlegroup rules with me. They look very good, so will at least give these a try-out.
All the big fat commercial sets look way too complicated for my simple tastes  ;)

Edit: Oh yes, and my intention is to progress this entire project (figures, vehicles, terrain) to the point where I can stage a game at BLAM next year. 10 months, should be long enough, eh?  ;) :D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 12:05:28 PM by Captain Blood »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
That tower hatch really does say "coo-cooo!", doesn't it? :-)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 07:36:17 AM by Hammers »

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
Looking nice and tidy.
One thing though - drill out your gun barrels Sir :-)
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Looking nice and tidy.
One thing though - drill out your gun barrels Sir :-)

I was going to cunningly paint it, but if you insist...  ;)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
A nice start on the massive armoured column that you have planned, sir.
 8)  :D   ;)

Edit: Oh yes, and my intention is to progress this entire project (figures, vehicles, terrain) to the point where I can stage a game at BLAM next year. 10 months, should be long enough, eh?  ;) :D

Wooo-Hoooo!
 :D

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
A nice start on the massive armoured column that you have planned, sir.
 8)  :D   ;)

Luckily I've already engaged top modelling talent to create a ready made armoured column for me...  :D

https://houseofqueeg.wordpress.com/2016/12/14/blitzkrieg-panzeriii-2511c-and-222-project-dak-finished-part1/

I'm just dabbling here with a couple of extras, to see what I can manage...  ;)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
 :o :o :o
Wow!
I must have missed that bit.
 ::)

They are seriously impressive.
I am sure that you will be more than pleased with those as they are bloody gorgeous.
 :-* :-* :-*

Online NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
It is always a pleasure, when I see something new. It means, that you found time for the hobby and you show all these little beauties to us.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Richard, I have a unassembled Tamayia 1/48 Tilly which is looking with big, soulfull eyes for a new owner. Sweet little kit but of no use for me as it really is too late for my setting (interwar) and too specific to be hidden away among the other vehicles as an anonymous lorry. Are you interested despite it somewhat larger scale? It would be my Christmas present to you for favours past.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks Peder, that's very kind of you. Yes, I would be glad to give it a good home  :)
I guess with such a (relatively) small vehicle, the difference in scale between 1/56 and 1/48 probably wouldn't be hugely noticeable?
Thanks again.
 8)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Thanks Peder, that's very kind of you. Yes, I would be glad to give it a good home  :)
I guess with such a (relatively) small vehicle, the difference in scale between 1/56 and 1/48 probably wouldn't be hugely noticeable?
Thanks again.
 8)

No, I don't think so. To be honest the error margin as many kits are designed makes the issue of a few fractions here end there quite mote.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Okay, thanks Peder.
Hopefully you've still got my address. If not, let me know and I'll PM you :)

Meanwhile, the Humbrol seems to have finally dried and I have applied a base coat (Vallejo Iraqi Sand), then drybrushed that with a 50:50 mix of Iraqi Sand and White. Then touched in the stowage in various khaki colours... Need to paint in the tyres and tracks...
Next step is to settle on a camo scheme. Or just to go plain and simple, and head straight to the weathering...  ::)