Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 12:34:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1693524
  • Total Topics: 118544
  • Online Today: 763
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Western Desert: P.125 - SdKfz10 half-track with 2cm Flak 30  (Read 284114 times)

Offline pease1

• Assistant
If the General sees all of that extra crap on the back of the tank he'll blow a gasket!

Good looking build. I like the extra stuff. Everything I read from both German and American armor diaries suggests a common thread of conflict between tank crews wanting to carry extra crap on their vehicles and officers chewing their asses out for it!

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
Nicely done on both the modeling as well on the painting of your first vehicles. I

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
The thing about stowage is that it needs to be thought through to look realistic and most gamers don't, they just pile it on wherever.

Tanks move. They move as often as not over uneven ground. Items simply placed on top of hull or turret won't stay there long unless tied, wedged or otherwise secured. There's a reason stowage bins exist. Few enough bother to model the cords, ropes, straps, chains or bungees or place the stowed item against a tie point/ grab rail. Most gamers stowage seems to be impelled to adhere through magnetism.

Tanks can get quite hot, especially around exhausts and cooling ducts. Nobody with any sense is going to wedge their bedroll against a hot pipe, that's likely to set it alight. They are probably not going to do the same with cardboard ration boxes, wooden crates or metal ammunition boxes, if they have ammo in them.

Turreted vehicles, where possible, like to take advantage of the possibilities inherent in rotating that turret. Untold exceptions of course but given the option people will try and avoid blocking the rotation of said item and certainly discourage the stowage of items where they will jam the turret.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Eclaireur

• Scientist
So I was thinking those things Carlos wrote about the stowage but didn't say them. I don't know whether he's ever been a tank crew man but I have and all of the points that Carlos makes about the reasons for stowing a tank the way you do are pretty much spot on.
With many WW2 tanks (e.g. Pz III & IV or British Shermans and Cromwells) you see purpose designed stowage racks, or bins usually on the hull or turret rear. You don't really want to be stowing stuff on the sides, cos when you drive down that narrow street or woodland path you often find it's not there any more at the end of the journey. The front glacis plate of the hull was often used for storage but stuff gets very dirty there. So your options are put stuff there that it doesn't matter if it gets dirty (the inevitable track links, road wheels, oil cans) or fit a special bin to keep more precious things clean and dry (you see this on late model British Shermans).
On top of the turret it's quite natural to see helmets close to the crew hatches, but they've got to be close enough for the crewman to put it on without getting half way out of the hatch - helmet strap can be used to secure it somewhere within reach. The same would be true of a commander's MP40 or Sten gun...
EC  

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
The Tiger really looks the part
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Kane

• Scientist
Hey Captain Blood, how's the quality of the Blitzkrieg model? I saw your AC, I got one from Warlord and it's abysmal and I'm looking for a replacement of higher quality...

Never mind. Found your initial post about that AC.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 04:38:28 PM by Kane »
Daaaaaaaaaaaaah !

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Hey Captain Blood, how's the quality of the Blitzkrieg model? I saw your AC, I got one from Warlord and it's abysmal and I'm looking for a replacement of higher quality...

Never mind. Found your initial post about that AC.

:)

Yeah - the end result looks very nice. The model has a few minor failings, as listed. Overall, I'd give it 9/10 though. (It is a model for the wargames table, not a faithful scale model engineering piece :))

I've just received two more Blitzkrieg models - Panzer II and Vickers tankette, and they both look very nicely detailed and sharply cast. I'll let you know once I start building them... Meanwhile, the Tiger I is nearly done. Just some last bits of titivation to do... Pics in the next couple of days hopefully.

Back to work tomorrow... That's the end of my productive Christmas and New Year modelling and painting spurt! Normal snail-like progress will be resumed shortly...  ::) lol

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
The completed Tiger.
I tried to get the colour to the kind of 'green sand' I saw from photographs of some of the early DAK Tigers.
The surface moulded on details of cables, tools etc was indeed extremely fiddly to paint accurately...
Micro sized swastikas smudged out in the pics.

A few close-ups...

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
Re: Captain Blood's PAINTED Perry Desert War: 3 Jan - Tiger 1 finished (P26)
« Reply #383 on: January 03, 2017, 08:59:04 PM »
Purrrrfect.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #384 on: January 03, 2017, 09:22:06 PM »
Boom! Love it.
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #385 on: January 03, 2017, 09:24:43 PM »
Very good :-*  and very quick o_o

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #386 on: January 03, 2017, 10:47:43 PM »
Bloody hell, that was quick!
 :o :o

She looks lovely!
 :-* :-*

You are on a roll, sir.
 :)

You have to add some motorbikes to the cavalcade, I reckon.
 :D

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #387 on: January 03, 2017, 11:14:18 PM »
That Tiger looks grrrreat !  :-*

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #388 on: January 03, 2017, 11:16:50 PM »
That Tiger looks grrrreat !  :-*

I was wondering how long before someone said it.
 ;)  ;D

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #389 on: January 04, 2017, 12:00:03 AM »
Wunderbar!
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)