Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 12:59:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Western Desert: P.125 - SdKfz10 half-track with 2cm Flak 30  (Read 281758 times)

Offline SiamTiger

• Librarian
  • The collector of many things
    • Chaosbunker - Lots of Lead, Plastic and Ideas
Re: Captain Blood's PAINTED Perry Desert War: 3 Jan - Tiger 1 finished (P26)
« Reply #420 on: January 11, 2017, 07:00:24 PM »
Amazing work on the Tiger, and with Blitzkrieg Miniatures, I'm with you. I have a Matilda, and the overall sculpt is okay to good, but the casting is a problem. First of all, they didn't clean the master after 3D print, so you see the steps of the printer (and that can be easily fixed with some proper afterwork with miliput milk or similar) and the cast in the lower track section is just a desaster.

How ever, big fan of your work, looking forward to see more!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #421 on: January 11, 2017, 08:08:59 PM »
Must try that chipping solution, seems like lot less work than the hairspray and salt method or shading and painting the chips.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #422 on: January 12, 2017, 01:29:37 PM »
The good Captain doing vehicles...  :o

You certainly are nailing them with your awesome technique. I especially like all the extra little texturing you did on the Tiger.

Very cool.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #423 on: January 12, 2017, 03:50:56 PM »
Thanks chaps. It's a learning process  :)

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #424 on: January 13, 2017, 07:01:05 AM »
Somehow that Tiger has escaped my attention  :o
Fabulous work Richard! Really like what you did with all the stowage and stuff.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #425 on: January 13, 2017, 07:28:03 AM »
Me too - I missed the TIger. Brilliant finish all round, but I have to point out the rust on the tracks - its superlative!  8) 8) 8)

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #426 on: January 13, 2017, 09:51:35 PM »
I've been following this thread closely as I've got boxes and boxes of Perry Brits, Eyties, Free French and Germans to paint. I also have yet more boxes of Blitzkreig vehicles, and having read the thoughts of Capt Blood I'm wondering whether I was possibly a bit hasty in purchasing so many, over 20 of various types I think, and perhaps I should have just tried one or two first? I've an Italian M13/40 which I've assembled, and it doesn't look too bad. Just had to file down the bottom of the turret so it sat right. I did ponder waiting for Rubicon to move onto the vehicles I wanted, and I didn't like the look of the Warlord stuff so I bypassed that. Perhaps I should have more patience.Can't help but admire the work that has gone into the vehicles on here. If mine turn out half as good I'll be chuffed to bits.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #427 on: January 16, 2017, 05:52:14 PM »
Thanks guys, for the positive vibes. Much appreciated.
I'm still feeling my way still with this vehicle modelling lark. (And basically copying Queeg's techniques as far as possible :D)

I also have yet more boxes of Blitzkreig vehicles, and having read the thoughts of Capt Blood I'm wondering whether I was possibly a bit hasty in purchasing so many, over 20 of various types I think, and perhaps I should have just tried one or two first? --- I did ponder waiting for Rubicon to move onto the vehicles I wanted, and I didn't like the look of the Warlord stuff so I bypassed that. Perhaps I should have more patience.

Well, don't beat yourself up too much ;) I think if we wait for all the lovely goodies which Rubicon will produce in the fullness of time, we could be waiting for a while to get the things we actually want.
And now I've cleaned them up and primed them, the Blitzkrieg vehicles are looking pretty darn good... (See below)
My grumbling is more to do with the fact that the casting around the mould line leaves a great deal to be desired - but you'd never know that from the pictures they use... As borne out by Brent's testimony...

Welcome to the world of 28mm resins. Working on stuff with issues like this is par for the course and not just a Blitzkrieg issue. Some manufacturers are better, and within ranges quality can go from great spiralling down to far far worse than this. It's why I openly favour plastics where something is available in both. It's also why I spend so long on my builds and can't churn them out in 2 hours like some can, without a Dremel and Bench Grinder working with any quantity of resins becomes problematic.

I feel your pain, and appreciate now why you prefer plastic kits.
Anyway, here's some progress...

I've cleaned up and primed the two Blitzkrieg pieces, and added the Perry Steyr 1500 personnel carrier to the collection.

Conversely, this is a really LOVELY resin model, very finely detailed and cast, and with almost no flash or nasty unwonted resin lumpage at all...
Ironically, the only badly cast bits were the few metal components - but then we all know the issues with the casting of Perry's metals... Took a bit of remedial work with Green Stuff.

Given that there's a hook up between Blitzkrieg and Perry (and the resin looks identical), I'm guessing the same caster does both the Perry and Blitzkrieg products. Ironic that the hand-crafted master of the Steyr produces a better quality model than the whizzo, CAD-designed Blitzkrieg pieces...  ::)

That said, they do all look rather good now, and I'm looking forward to painting them when time allows...

Having overdone the stowage on the Tiger I a bit, I've given the stowage a miss altogether on the Vickers and Panzer II - they're only small tanks, and they have so much lovely detailing on their upper hulls, that there scarcely seems room for stowage.
I have however added some Rubicon stowage bits and pieces to the back shelf of the Steyr, as it seemed to be crying out for something...

I also bought a pack of 28mm scale oil drums from a seller on eBay - damn good value these, six different stacks of drums in various configurations, plus a few loose drums, all for about 5.00 GBP. Not perfectly cast, but not bad either. Now I can add a fuel dump to my desert terrain boards in due course  8)

In other news, Hammers' generous donation of a 1/48 Tamiya Austin Tilly has now arrived (thanks Peder!) It looks like a really beautiful little model, and I don't think the scale difference between 1/48 and 1/56 will notice at all on such a small vehicle. So that's another one for the queue...  :)

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Those look really good (they look like plastic kits - in a good way).

I look forward to seeing these finished.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Really nice collection you're building Richard  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 38
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
This is all very confusing to me.

But it seems your vehicle painting rate is the same as your infantry painting rate... despite the larger canvas!

So I guess the part about painting that takes you time is shifting between paints!  ;D
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Remgain

• Mad Scientist
Richard,

Could you please give the link to the oil drums ebay seller ?

Thank you
Marco

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Richard do you happen to have a email of the seller on ebay?
I dont have access to ebay but those oil drums would come handy.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
nice additions
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com