Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 09:47:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691315
  • Total Topics: 118386
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's Western Desert: P.125 - SdKfz10 half-track with 2cm Flak 30  (Read 281728 times)

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
Lovely looking game Richard, it's been a real pleasure seeing all this come together :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks Jeff. Hopefully, once the terrain boards are done, you'll get to play it later in the year :)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Thanks Jeff. Hopefully, once the terrain boards are done, you'll get to play it later in the year :)

:-* BLAM? 

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
That's the plan Steve  :)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God

Ausgezeichnet!

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
Mein Kapitän, Gefreiter Stefan, nicht Steve... ;) lol
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Gorgeous looking game! Really top notch.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Online Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
I love how the Tilly *totally* squashed the opposition! (or so I chose to interpret the outcome)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Terrific game report; your vehicles are a joy to behold!

We too are playing with 8 man infantry units for visual effect. 4 just doesn't look right to me.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God

We too are playing with 8 man infantry units for visual effect. 4 just doesn't look right to me.

Ah, now James, you are shown as one of the play testers. You should have told them - appearances matter ;)

Great Escape Games seem to have pretty much given up on this rule set. None of the promised updates... Rules questions on the forum languish unanswered.... it's a shame because it seems to have a lot going for it. And most people that have played it seem to like it... And yet...  :?

Be interested in your insights  :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 12:31:16 AM by Captain Blood »

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
I got my copy this morning and I have to say that overall they look fit for purpose; granted they were designed for tank-heavy games.

The one thing that did stand out on a read through were machine gun units. Unless I missed something they have the same firepower as an infantry squad, yet are supposed to represent a section of two sustained-fire guns. Two dice from a single tank shooting at infantry is fair enough, but a two-gun tripod MG section would be a lot of potential hurt.

British thinking in 1918 was that each gun was worth the equivalent of a platoon in normal circumstances, a company in a confined area (a road between two hills etc.), but only two or three riflemen against very dispersed targets (like the wily Pathan). In 1946 even the U.S. Army with their Garands reckoned the air-cooled Brownings alone were worth 9 rifles.

That is quite an easy fix though, whether you add more 'to hit' dice (knee-jerk fix), or allow multiple extra morale hits on 'conversion' after a successful hit (my preference).

All things considered and going down the route they started with the 'Elite' pdf, you have a lot you can work with here. Certainly they seemed to do fine for your game and sounded like fun, which is why we do this after all.

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
Great looking game Richard! If your 'makeshift' table is that convincing already I'm eagerly looking forward to your 'proper' set up.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thank you  :)

The one thing that did stand out on a read through were machine gun units. Unless I missed something they have the same firepower as an infantry squad, yet are supposed to represent a section of two sustained-fire guns. Two dice from a single tank shooting at infantry is fair enough, but a two-gun tripod MG section would be a lot of potential hurt.

I haven't played it with HMGs yet, but from what I've read, they are very effective at suppressing infantry, but somewhat vulnerable themselves. Which again, if so, is probably about right...

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Great Escape Games seem to have pretty much given up on this rule set. None of the promised updates... Rules questions on the forum languish unanswered.... it's a shame because it seems to have a lot going for it. And most people that have played it seem to like it... And yet...  :?

The forum used to be quite lively, but then they had issues with an upgrade, which left it dead for a few weeks and it when it reopened a lot of people had wandered off. I don't know if they ever really recovered from that.

GEG is a very small operation and they concentrate on one thing at a time. Right now I think their focus is 'The Curse of Dead Man's Hand' (funny enough, I just went to see Stu today and he's got some new figs for me to paint soon), so maybe they'll get round to more Iron Cross later. Might be worth having a word if you're at Salute.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
GEG is a very small operation and they concentrate on one thing at a time. Right now I think their focus is 'The Curse of Dead Man's Hand' (funny enough, I just went to see Stu today and he's got some new figs for me to paint soon), so maybe they'll get round to more Iron Cross later. Might be worth having a word if you're at Salute.

Thanks. Sounds like a good plan. I'll do that  :)