Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:35:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689479
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 425
Total: 427

Recent

Author Topic: Mayhem: Mass battle edition (rules review)  (Read 9537 times)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Mayhem: Mass battle edition (rules review)
« on: May 04, 2013, 11:24:45 AM »
This is another set of rules by Brent Spivey, some of you may remember the name since I reviewed his modern warfare rules ”The Battlefield” while back. Mayhem is surprisingly enough not an expansion to those rules or even anything within that genre but instead this is a fantasy warfare game mainly written for 6-15mm scale engagements but which can be played up to 28mm as well. The rules have units based on squares and rectangles of various size depending on scale, the playing area  also ranges from a 24” square for 6-10mm miniatures, 24”-48” square for 15mm and at the very least an 36” square for 28mm miniatures. The playing area can be expanded as desired and by as much as players see fit.

I instantly, at the very first page of the rules in fact, noticed the “overdrive” mechanic that was part of the core rules in The Battlefield. Mayhem, just like The Battlefield uses a command point system. Units cost 1 CP to activate and they are allowed to perform 1 action doing so. What overdrive does is to allow a unit to perform multiple actions, but at an ever increasing cost of command points. Activating the same units starts out costing 1x CP (1 command point) and following activations of the same unit would begin to pile up to 2x, 3x, 4x, etc the amount of command points, each increasing upon the previous cost so it will be very hard or very expensive to activate a unit too many times.

So far the game is similar to The Battlefield, however where The Battlefield only used D6 dice, Mayhem uses D4, D6, D8, D10, D12 and D20! (Don't worry you will not be rolling buckets of dice so a couple of each will be more than enough).

Check my blog for the full review:
http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2013/05/mayhem-mass-battle-edition-rules-review.html

Offline LawnRanger

• Librarian
Re: Mayhem: Mass battle edition (rules review)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 11:47:02 PM »
Sound very dbm?
just a few quick questions
1) how many figs in a unit ?
2)what are they base sizes for 15mm /will i have to rebase my stuff ?
3) how many units in a game
4)do you take single figs off/ whole bases ?or place makers on the units
5) how strong id the magic
6) is there a point system to the game ?
7) whats the damage/price of rules ?

happy gaming LR

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 02:19:54 AM »
Great review (as always) any AARs in the future? I would like to know what you think of the rules after a few games.

Damien

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 03:06:39 AM »
Hi LawnRanger. I think I can answer these questions.  ;)

1) how many figs in a unit ?
A unit is defined as a single base. The number of figures on that base is completely up to the creator allowing for mini-dioramas and vignettes if you like.
2)what are they base sizes for 15mm /will i have to rebase my stuff ?
No need to rebase. The recommended base size for 15mm is 50mmx50mm squares. However, so long as both players are using the same basing, then this is not an issue.
3) how many units in a game
That depends entirely on how you build your army. A 200 crown game normally features around 8-14 units per side not including generals or heroes.
4)do you take single figs off/ whole bases ?or place makers on the units
No casualty/single figure removal. When required, a small marker on the base it all that is needed.
5) how strong id the magic
Magic will be in the upcoming expansion. It is definitely not the overpowered 'wizard war' type and is more utilitarian in nature with some direct damage spells.
6) is there a point system to the game ?
YES! You can build your entire force, including all individual unit profiles, completely from scratch.  :D
7) whats the damage/price of rules ?
For just $7.99, you get the core rules, army builder worksheets, quick reference sheets, and General's Compendium. It can be purchased and downloaded HERE.
'HAVOC... it's okay to wreak a little!'    <a href="http://www.bombshell-games.com/>bombshell games[/url]