Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:04:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: wizkids star trek: attack wing  (Read 25104 times)

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
Re: wizkids star trek: attack wing
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 08:00:13 PM »
I've put together a Romulan fleet of 100 points in readiness for a local OP event on Wednesday. It's been a while since I played in any kind of event that I didn't have to organize from the ground up. Should be interesting...and I'm hoping also fun. We shall see.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 11:09:06 PM »
And that is precisely why these particular games are so good and popular.  As you said, no "prep time".  I see X-wing games (and yes, I saw Star Trek this weekend) at conventions.  People buy the box from a vendor, walk over to an empty table, open it and start playing.  That's a huge part of the attraction.  Throw down a piece of black felt and you're done.

I'm still trying to decide between investing heavily in Wings of War (loove me some WW1) or going with X-Wing.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Burnt65

• Scientist
    • KEGS gaming site
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 11:15:25 PM »
What?!?!?  Deciding between?  A REAL wargamer would get both!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 11:51:41 PM »
Heh, I like the games...just don't like them THAT much to essentially double the investment.  I am tempted to go X-wing since everyone plays it...whereas no one I know plays Wings of Glory.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 09:53:13 PM »
I'm still trying to decide between investing heavily in Wings of War (loove me some WW1) or going with X-Wing.

I was in a similar spot, but having seen X-Wing played, and hearing that a decent amount of game material really required two core sets, I opted to wait on it. In the end I'm actually glad that I did, because the Star Trek version came along and I'm much more interested in Trek. I was thinking about it today, and I honestly don't remember looking forward to an organized event this much in a long time!

Probably also has something to do with the fact that I don't have to organize it too... :P

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 07:55:29 AM »
I am looking forward to getting me some Trekkie loving but alas the Star Trek Attack Wing has not come to us here in New Zealand [well if it has I don't know where]

And knowing my luck it won't be cheap...seems each retailer here needs to add on the labour it took to load the container/air plane, the fuel the ship/plane used, the truck that was used and its fuel to drive it to their store and then even more $$ added just cause the exchange rate was worse now then when they ordered it so they need to cover that as well.

So I guess its Internet buying time... now to find some one who does free shipping world wide for less then $100USD buy in.... dreams are free....

so what ships fly like you thought they would and what feel like concrete blocks with nasells?

Also do we know if the Borg will appear in this game????

can anyone who has this game do a battle report for us poor folks who don't have it yet???

Cheers
LGW

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 10:32:30 PM »
I was able to play a game on Monday, and will be joining in a month 1 Dominion War event next week. I don't expect to win anything but if the number of players is as low as I suspect, I might still be able to take the fellowship and maybe get a Ferengi ship. Either way, I'll still get to play games and hopefully have some fun.

I'm quite enjoying the game, even though I feel I really should repaint my ships!

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 10:38:15 PM »
How many ships are played in an average game?

I know when I play X-wing I can play any where from 3 to 7 depending on the style I want to play on the day.

Also will borg be coming to Attack wing??? if So I am over that like a fat kid on cake.

LGW

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 12:14:11 AM »
How many ships are played in an average game?

I know when I play X-wing I can play any where from 3 to 7 depending on the style I want to play on the day.

Also will borg be coming to Attack wing??? if So I am over that like a fat kid on cake.

LGW

The organized events are supposed to be 100 squadron points. So far I've only played with or against squadrons of three ships. I've heard of players running two or four, but don't know how well that's worked out. Due to the number of crew and upgrades you might take on your ships, it seems perfectly possible to take two fairly loaded ships.

I don't know for sure about Borg in Attack Wing, but I would venture that it's a strong possibility. Fleet Captains and Attack Wing both are sharing the moulds with Star Trek Tactics, and from what I've heard series three of Tactics has several Borg ships in the line up. It might take a while, but I'd say Borg will be playable by end of next year, or at the very least announced as coming up.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 12:16:41 AM »
I have a work trip to the States next week and my parents are mailing me my 'goodie box' of toys to the hotel so I can bring it all back with me to Europe!

WOO HOO!  Wave 3 Star Trek and my Attack Wing and full set!!!

"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 12:24:40 AM »
I have quite a Large X-wing Set up:
Empire:
7x Tie Fighters
2x Tie Interceptors
2x Tie Bombers
2x Tie Advanced
1x Slave 1
1x Lambada

Rebels:
3x X-wings
1x B-wing
1x A-wing
1x Y-wing

got my HWK290 on order just got the Wave 3 ships the other day and my Star Trek Starter box Is being sent to me end of next week.

As you can my Imperial Force is large as I play it and my kids play the Rebels. With STAW I think the kids will play Federation and I'll play Klingon and Romulian until the Board arrive. They don't want to play "bad guys" only the "good Guys" so more for me again. Don't know if I'll get any of the other races time will tell depends on how the game will go.

I'll add in the other Enterprise ships. [Can you field more then one type of the Enterprise?]

BRING ON THE BORG!!!!!

LGW

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 05:38:12 AM »
I did notice the prices are quite a bit better - or so it seems?  $10 for a ship...where most of the X-wing ones start at $15.  Is there a different amount of goodies that come in the Star Trek version?

Offline Lord GreyWolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 05:51:46 AM »
here in New Zealand the Starter box set is $50NZD and each expansion is $25NZD.

the X-wing are the same price as well.

LGW

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 08:19:33 AM »
In my city I've seen the starter go for $39 to $42 and the boosters between $15 and $17.50 CAD. I got all my stuff on launch weekend for $37 and $14/booster because they had a sale. I can't wait for wave 1, and will probably buy two of the Jem Hadar ship to round out my Dominion forces. Or maybe another Breen ship from the first batch. Any thoughts on which?

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 08:30:24 PM »
I did notice the prices are quite a bit better - or so it seems?  $10 for a ship...where most of the X-wing ones start at $15.  Is there a different amount of goodies that come in the Star Trek version?

Where are  you seeing it for $10 (assuming USD)? We're selling them for $15; haven't seen them for less, but assume someone will online somewhere.

I've been holding back buying for myself as the store, while not running out, seems to be moving them well.

Doug