Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:50:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686663
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Zulu Dawn  (Read 8136 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Zulu Dawn
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2013, 02:59:04 PM »
Larry Olivier spoils that for me with his Camptown Races Minstrel Mahdi. The only thing I can think of that could have been worse would have been Jim Davidson doing his Chalky White voice instead.

Alexander Siddig would have been a perfect choice for the role if we had to have an English actor, there's even the family resemblance. The only flaw in this brilliant plan is that he was only one year old when Khartoum was made.  ;D

Edit: Spelled Mahdi wrong, like a bloody twit, didn't I?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 03:04:02 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2013, 07:50:27 PM »
Oh beloved! Darling Lally was brilliant,  come on Plynkes
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Silent bob

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2013, 09:08:23 PM »
Oh beloved! Darling Lally was brilliant,  come on Plynkes

At least he had the gap in his teeth......

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2013, 07:15:42 PM »
If you're looking for a modern analysis of Isandlwana, read Mike Snook's book "How can man die better?". Slightly biased against Durnford (not unexpected from an ex-officer of the 24th!) but a gripping account that challenges most of the preconceptions of how the disaster occured and how it played out.

Offline Silent bob

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2013, 08:24:18 PM »
If you're looking for a modern analysis of Isandlwana, read Mike Snook's book "How can man die better?". Slightly biased against Durnford (not unexpected from an ex-officer of the 24th!) but a gripping account that challenges most of the preconceptions of how the disaster occured and how it played out.

Slightly biased? Hmmm...a  bit of an understatement there.....not that I do not think Durnford had a lot to do with the defeat..but he was not the sole reason

A good enough read but too much "good ol' 24th" for my liking.....good analysis of the British burials though.

A better read (in my view) is Zulu Victory: The Epic of Isandlwana and the Cover-up by Ron Lock and Peter Quantrill.

Offline Abbner Home

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2013, 04:39:30 PM »
I left Fugitive's Drift Lodge yesterday after guided tours of Rourke's Drift, Isandlwana, and Fugitive's Drift.  Really excellent experience that has started me on a new period. (I went with a friend who games colonial era.)

Funny enough the Lodge had a box of Warlord unmarried Zulus and a box of NNC infantry. My friend and I each bought a box and split the sprues so we each have some purchased there.

I can't deny being crushingly disappointed to find the Warlord shields significantly smaller than the Zulu tour guide, who had two ancestors who served in those battles, had described them to be...

Our guide did address the screwdriver myth and pointed out that Zulus had opened ammo boxes by the simple expedient of smashing them on the abundant rocks. Surely the Brits could have done the same if need be he added.

I'm working paper plans for a save the colours game as well as a scenario featuring Younghusband's company. I got to spend about an hour exactly on the spot of his stand. Amazing. Humbling.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2013, 04:55:37 PM »
I left Fugitive's Drift Lodge yesterday after guided tours of Rourke's Drift, Isandlwana, and Fugitive's Drift. 
 I got to spend about an hour exactly on the spot of his stand. Amazing. Humbling.

Yep, very humbling, I was fortunate to have David Rattray as my guide when I stayed at the Fugitive's Drift Lodge.

Are they still selling the audio recordings he made describing the battles? His descriptions of the battles, the characters and the correct pronounciation of the Zulu regiment names helped bring it to life for me.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Abbner Home

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2013, 05:32:57 PM »
Yes - the recordings were for sale and I brought one home. Also a copy of his Guidebook of Zulu Battlefields which was recently reprinted. The guides play relevant sections of the audio in the Landie while driving from to and from the sites. It was really interesting. (And a brilliant marketing technique.)

David Rattray has passed away, and his wife and sons were on holiday while I was there, but the guides I had (a different one for each site) were all outstanding. Imphiwe (I'm 90% sure of the spelling) who gave the Isandlwana tour was especially good.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2013, 09:59:30 PM »
Yes - the recordings were for sale and I brought one home. Also a copy of his Guidebook of Zulu Battlefields which was recently reprinted. The guides play relevant sections of the audio in the Landie while driving from to and from the sites. It was really interesting. (And a brilliant marketing technique.)

David Rattray has passed away, and his wife and sons were on holiday while I was there, but the guides I had (a different one for each site) were all outstanding. Imphiwe (I'm 90% sure of the spelling) who gave the Isandlwana tour was especially good.

The recordings are excellent, I was there a long time ago and mt recordings are on audio cassette. lol

David Rattray was murdered about three or four years ago, shot dead at the lodge, a very tragic and very sad loss.

Offline surixurient

• Bookworm
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2013, 09:26:52 PM »
I would like to host the battle of isandlwana for my wargames group with a key component being depleting ammunition.  Which rules would be best?  (8 players)
Joel Cairo: You always have a very smooth explanation...
Sam Spade: What do you want me to do, learn to stutter?

Offline Legionaire22

• Bookworm
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2013, 02:19:59 AM »
Surixurient,

I run Isandlwana in 6mm at a 1:5 scale. I couldn't find a set of rules that worked the way I wanted it to, so I made up my own. Basically each company rolls a certain number of d10s for firing based upon formation,terrain,movement,etc. If the majority of the dice rolled are 9s or 10s then the company is low on ammo. Low on ammo means negative applications to shooting. If the company rolls low on ammo again then it is out of ammo and can no longer fire. Each organization at Isandlwana has its own supply wagon in camp (1/24, 2/24, NNH, NNC, RA). At the end of each turn any unit low on ammo rolls 1d10 to see if it gets an ammo resupply. On 1-8 it gets resupplied with the following modifiers to the target number: -1 for every 6" away from supply wagon / -1 if it is not a british regular unit. If you roll the modified target # or less, the unit is completely resupplied.
      I would be happy to share my rules with you, or better yet run a game for you if you live anywhere near central Illinois.

Jim
Zombies make me poop!

Offline surixurient

• Bookworm
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2013, 09:15:03 PM »
Thanks legionnaire.  I'd be interested in hearing your rules.