Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:39:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686536
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: obsidian3d's Masters of the Universe thread - Stratos (pg. 2)  (Read 8643 times)

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: obsidian3d's Masters of the Universe thread
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 07:39:32 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up on the snake mountain.  I already have the greyskull statue and it looks great with figs on it.
This is my boomstick!

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 08:52:03 AM »
That Talon Fighter looks like it might be close in scale as well. :)

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 06:12:13 PM »
I'm hoping to get the Stratos figure on to my painting table some time this week.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 09:05:09 PM »
Looking forward to it.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 08:21:11 AM »
Looking forward to it.

Definitely :)

Although I wasnt particularly into He-Man as a kid, something about the idea of skirmish gaming in Eternia really appeals and has preoccupied me since I saw this thread last week.

As tracking down a set of the Grenadier figures doesnt seem likely and even if it was then I reckon that it would be out of my league financially I have been considering alternatives.  The most obvious solution if I dont get bent too out of shape about exact outfit matches would be to use GW Marauder figures with suitable heads.

I was pointed in the direction of a GW Space Wolf head that looks very suitable for the main character:

So thats He-Man, Faker and Prince Adam sorted lol

Barring the occasional feathered or bionic arm then I reckon it would be easy enough to track down suitable heads for many of the others.

I dont want to hijack this thread too much, but if obsidian3d doesnt mind then maybe some others might have some suggestions.  I can set up a separate thread if necessary.

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 08:44:12 AM »
As tracking down a set of the Grenadier figures doesnt seem likely and even if it was then I reckon that it would be out of my league financially I have been considering alternatives.

Plus, it will save you and me from bidding against each other while I try to complete my collection of them.  ;)

Tin's Bits did a few not-motu figures too:

OOP, but still available here:
http://www.shop.battlefield-berlin.de/index.php/katalog/showarticles/26460-1-tins_bits.html
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 08:47:47 AM by white knight »

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 09:20:57 AM »
Plus, it will save you and me from bidding against each other while I try to complete my collection of them.  ;)

:D  So the more suitable alternatives and heads that you come up with the better in that case ;)

Tin's Bits did a few not-motu figures too:

Those are nice models. 

Funnily enough the GW Marauders body shape - that is, a totally ridiculous body shape - fits with my notion of what Eternians look like slightly better than those Tin's Bits figures do.  The Tins Bits are darker and edgier, but that makes them slightly less MotU if you know what I mean.  The splayed legs, grimacing faces and as-wide-as-they-are-tall physiques is what the franchise is all about, to me at least.

€9=tax+shipping is beyond my budget for a project like this anyway, so kitbashed Marauders is the direction that I plan to take (plus the Heroquest sorceror as Skeletor) so any suggestions for heads for Beast-man, Mer-Man,  Man-at-Arms etc happily accepted.

All assuming that obsidian3d doesnt mind his thread being diverted a bit.  I can start another one if he does.  In fact, maybe I should anyway...

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 09:44:22 AM »
I had forgotten about the tin bits figures. I'll likely try to pick up the evil lyn and Fisto figures. The others don't quite work for me though. Lyn's chest would have to be covered, which does seem a shame... :P

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 10:36:42 AM »

FYI, I have started a separate thread for any MotU kitbash ideas, so that I dont hijack this one further.

Im looking forward to seeing the Stratos model :)

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 06:15:25 PM »
Stratos is finished!
(reposted from http://obsidian3d.blogspot.ca/2013/08/masters-of-universe-in-28mm-stratos.html)

After all of the positive feedback around the interwebs I received about my Skeletor and Panthor figures I was eager to continue on with this project. I don't have a ton of figures for mini MotU, but there are enough to allow me some options in my gaming. I just recently finished reworking my season 1 corporation team "The Avion Warrors" for Dreadball, so their coach Stratos seemed the easy choice.

As the second figure from the old Grenadier line I'd be working on, I had a decent idea of what to expect while painting. The sculpting is good but not excellent. The feet are a little bit too small and blend into the base a bit, and the mould lines are a bit of a pain. However, other than the line that runs along the top of his outstretched left arm, they were fairly manageable. He is certainly recognizable as Stratos, and that is the important thing to me.

I had good results priming with gesso on Skeletor so I thought I'd do it again with Stratos. I found that this time it dried a little bit rougher, and now I think I've pretty much hit on a good formula for using it. Adding just a drop or two of water to the gesso smooths it out a lot, so that's the way I'll likely use it from now on. I also really like that I can make my primer any colour I want simply by adding a few drops of paint to it!

Once again the paint work here is extremely simple, but yields effective results. I started with all of the skin and fur, covering with GW Fortress Grey. The exposed skin of his face is GW Tallarn Flesh. All of the blue was done with AP Crystal Blue, the red on his weapon, helmet and feathers is GW Red Gore, and of course the silver is good old GW Boltgun Metal.

With the block painting done I covered the whole figure with a coat of GW Badab Black wash and waited for it to dry. I used the original grey, silver and blue to go back and highlight those areas, but used GW Mephiston Red on the feathers and helmet to make them pop out a little bit more.

Based and done.

Although I'm not as happy with this figure as I was with Skeletor it still turned out nicely. Can't wait to tackle a few more characters to start rounding out the ranks!

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 07:08:14 PM »
Good job! Guess the reason you're less happy with him is just because his coolness factor can't compete with skeletor's.

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 07:46:29 PM »
I had this the toy figure if this guy and forgot! Very cool love it!

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 02:29:16 PM »

I really like that paint job.  Stratos looks very like how I remember the toy to look.  The tones of the colours used look just right to me :)

Good job! Guess the reason you're less happy with him is just because his coolness factor can't compete with skeletor's.

Well, unless you are into defeating your enemies, Skeletor is always going to be a hard act to follow.

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
Re: obsidian3d's Masters of the Universe thread - Stratos (pg. 2)
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 08:37:45 PM »

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
Re: obsidian3d's Masters of the Universe thread - Stratos (pg. 2)
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 09:03:50 PM »
That is very, very cool. :)