Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:55:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: In Her Majesty's Name -- should I buy this?  (Read 8248 times)

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
In Her Majesty's Name -- should I buy this?
« on: August 05, 2013, 02:56:27 PM »
I've reached an age in my life where I have more games on the shelf collecting dust than I actually manage to play.  But the normal group has become burnt out by the 'Spend thousands of dollars to amass a skirmish army' games.  I have seen a lot of posts on here about people painting models up for the game, but not really any actual reviews.

In short ... convince me to buy this  ;)

Is it possible to play the game with minis we might already have?  We have a multitude of games to pull from, including just some plain old Reaper figures that I bought because they 'looked cool.'  Lots of Warmachine and Warhammer type models.  I just want to know if the game itself is fun, and how well you can design your own companies. 

Appreciate any advice.

Dave

Offline VSF Gamer

• Scientist
Re: In Her Majesty's Name -- should I buy this?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 03:07:27 PM »
It is very, very possible to play this game without purchursing the miniatures if you already have plenty. My self I've used three different generic companies out of the book and used my own miniatures and they are a perfect fit. I highly recommend the rules for a fun skrimish game and if you already have the miniatures the rules are all you need. Also check out the IHMN blog for freebie stuff to help play the game.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 03:11:54 PM »
First off:

"Is it possible to play the game with minis we might already have? "

Whole point is, while Nick's figs are incredibly kewl, most of the posts you'll find are of people building their own. Now, a lot are new builds and paints, but you can use what you like, and are encouraged to do so.

Don't know of anyone who isn't fired up to create their own gangs, oft with figs at hand.

REALLY works best with small numbers, both of players and figs; we enjoyed, but a bit stymied by a group of four. So, cost is way down even if you didn't have figs.

I've been told my review is apt:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56269.0

Do you need every thing spelled out? Is your group rules lawyers? I'd have to suggest you reconsider. There's still some shaking out to do, and players are expected to be able to be more interested in playing, having fun, than having all nits picked.

Doug

Edit: Randy, damn your eyes!  lol

Edit, part deux: Please note, I'm not saying it feels incomplete or unfinished; does feel as if it needs a bit of thought at points. Groups vary on how well this works.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 03:14:14 PM by The_Beast »

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 03:56:03 PM »
Right... so I bought it :)

We do have some rules lawyers, but I'm much more of a ... 'Meh, roll a die and see if it works' kind of guy.  I'm sure I can move it along.  And this gives me a good excuse to finally paint up all those steampunkish things I have laying around the basement.

Thanks.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 06:19:02 PM »
Hi DWB,

One thing we built into the rules was an 'open source' points system so you can design and use your own figures, weapons, armour, equipment, talents and powers.

There is an article on creating your own company in the Bonus Materials section of the blog: http://inhermajestysname.wordpress.com/additional-material/

As authors, Charles and I actually encourage players to do their own thing. I hope you enjoy it :D
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 06:28:07 PM »
As authors, Charles and I actually encourage players to do their own thing. I hope you enjoy it :D

I already said that!  >:(

Well, sort of...  ;)

Doug

Offline lordbert

• Bookworm
    • Lord Bert's
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 07:20:31 PM »
I was just going to come into this thread and type "Yes, do it!" but I see you bought it within an hour of the post - way to go :-)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 09:08:58 PM »
I await the delivery from Amazon of the IHMN set and a supplement.  And using what I had (much of it gathered for CiC) is what attracted me in the first place.

Hurry up, delivery guy!

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Captain Nemo

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 10:36:41 PM »
This is kinda sad...  :-[ but I don't even play games with anyone, I'm merely a painter and I bought it twice. One printed copy via Amazon and one PDF from Opresy's website. Personally, I think anything that is designed to be this open and customizable is worth the money. And while I am saving up for those excellent IHMN minis, I could use pretty much anything I have on the shelf. If my dog would play a game with me.
\"The natives over there are cannibals. They eat liars with the same enthusiasm as they eat honest men.\"

Offline frogimus

• Librarian
  • Enthusiastically Apathetic
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 10:49:38 PM »
This is kinda sad...  :-[ but I don't even play games with anyone, I'm merely a painter and I bought it twice. One printed copy via Amazon and one PDF from Opresy's website. Personally, I think anything that is designed to be this open and customizable is worth the money. And while I am saving up for those excellent IHMN minis, I could use pretty much anything I have on the shelf. If my dog would play a game with me.

Ditto. Although it seems these rules would work well for a cinematic game of solitaire, with a sprinkling of roleplay mixed in.
"Never rub another man's rhubarb!"- The Joker(Jack Nicholson)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 04:58:14 AM »
I await the delivery from Amazon of the IHMN set and a supplement.  And using what I had (much of it gathered for CiC) is what attracted me in the first place.

Glenn, I'm hoping that you realise that the supplements (Heroes, Villains and Fiends) shall not be available until November? 

I'd hate you to be disappointed when only the rules turn up. Amazon like to have six months notice for a book so they can reap the reward that is pre-orders.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 05:12:27 AM »
Very true - don't trust Amazon's delivery dates.

Game sounds interesting...
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 05:26:23 AM »
If you don't have any rules in this vein, it is definitely worth the money.

It is not specifically tied to any official figures, I'm planning to play with my old Foundry Darkest Africa figures and assorted Victorian figures amassed over the years.

The game also has a full build system. I haven't analysed it for brokenness, but at least theoretically you can stat out anything you like (including new weapons and equipment) and calculate the cost. My hunch is that you can probably break it like most other build systems, so some gentlemanly restraint may be in order.

The published companies are best viewed as merely examples of the forces you can field.

The only odd thing I find about the rules is the reliance on armor ratings in an age when basically nobody wore armour... but you can largely ignore that or even outlaw the heavy armors if you like.

If you already own GASLIGHT or some other open 19th century skirmish rules... if you were happy with them, you probably wouldn't be asking this question.

Caveat emptor: This is probably not a ruleset for highly competetive play. But I have zero interest in that so who am I to tell...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 04:56:01 AM by maxxon »
Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net

Offline frogimus

• Librarian
  • Enthusiastically Apathetic
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 11:56:16 AM »
I'm sure a portion of the armor value could be explained away as the character's ability to dodge or ability to present a small target. So if you're playing strictly Victorian, you could clip out some of the magnetic field generators and such that fall into a more sci fi category.

workerBee

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 02:19:58 PM »
Glenn, I'm hoping that you realise that the supplements (Heroes, Villains and Fiends) shall not be available until November? 

I'd hate you to be disappointed when only the rules turn up. Amazon like to have six months notice for a book so they can reap the reward that is pre-orders.

So, I will be excited twice?  Awsome!

Yeah, Amazon is... Amazon...

Gracias,

Glenn