Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:52:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1701935 times)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #11640 on: November 28, 2021, 09:50:21 PM »
I assume they aren't and that they proved more popular than GW expected. I would have thought they'd restock them when they can.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #11641 on: November 29, 2021, 10:49:40 PM »
GW seems to have a VERY hard time calculating the amount of stock they need, trending toward under-production. I get why some companies do it, for hype reasons and limited boutique style releases that may or may not have to do with raw material supply... but why GW can't figure out how much plastic to mold and cardboard to print is pretty mystifying.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11642 on: November 30, 2021, 04:06:00 AM »
Because plastic is super expensive and can't be recycled. Oh wait...  ;)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #11643 on: November 30, 2021, 06:44:06 AM »
Given GWs drive for hype sales and that they'd like / expect hobbyists to buy the new shiny every week, under production could well lead to considerable loss of sales so I'm surprised GW hasn't cracked down on sorting this problem out.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #11644 on: November 30, 2021, 03:14:36 PM »
I'm surprised that outlander/outcast gang set sold out that quickly. It looks rather bland and uninspired - to me - and only 1 small sprue that you'll get 3 times in that box. I'd expect to get Perps, rag-tag post-apoc wasteland survivors and/or cyberpunk style miniatures than this underdressed Orlockians...  Rather underwhelming, this :?
Leadhead

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #11645 on: November 30, 2021, 03:46:16 PM »
Fair enough. I prefer the more understated look and aside from the stripy-quilted armour I don't see much resemblance with the Orlock gang.

I have heard some likening them to the old Free Company sprue from Mordheim and I can certainly see a lot of conversion potential, especially with a bit of kit bashing.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #11646 on: November 30, 2021, 08:18:45 PM »
Yeah, these guys are filler or conversion fodder and that's not only okay, but quite useful.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #11647 on: December 05, 2021, 07:14:48 AM »
Am I reading this right?

On the GW website it is 170 Pounds but on the EU website it is 224 Euros… which is considerably more than the 192 Euros Google says the conversion rate should be.

Is the Rohan Stronghold only going to be able to be purchased from the GW website?
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11648 on: December 05, 2021, 07:49:09 AM »
Sounds pretty standard for GW practice. NZ$560 which is 285 pounds. Pretty cheap in comparison.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #11649 on: December 05, 2021, 08:05:23 AM »
Why does GW do that?

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11650 on: December 05, 2021, 08:26:37 AM »
Why does GW do that?

Funny, I can't find the ass emoji  lol

No one knows why, but I suspect that immense profitiering/grasping could be the root cause  ;)

Have a nice Sunday everyone

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11651 on: December 05, 2021, 09:26:03 AM »
I recall a long time ago when it first started happening they blamed it on shipping and warehousing of stock, but that is a load of BS. Also they stopped southern hemisphere people buying from northern hemisphere. So I can't buy from US GW shops or any stockists of their products. Ebay is good generally though but still have some issues.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11652 on: December 10, 2021, 06:47:05 PM »
To understand GW's business methods, you simply need to understand one phrase: because they can.

Now, as a disclaimer - I don't have an issue with how any company chooses to run their business.  I'm a full on free capitalist, do whatever you want.  However, I do vote with my wallet, etc.

GW is in a position as a game company that few other companies are.  They're "Apple" levels of comfortable in their market.  They have a vast and voracious consumer base who will buy anything, at, as we're seeing, any cost.  Their IP's are incredibly strong, and they're a multi-billion dollar company now.  Their influx of new customers outweighs their loss of older customers (people who aren't particularly keen on paying $100 for a tank).

They have fully embraced the "FOMO" (fear of missing out) business model.  They have intentionally produced fewer kits than they can sell for the past 4-5 years on major product releases.  This benefits them in a number of ways. 

1) Brand value, etc.  Look no further than eBay to see how wildly expensive old and out-of-print GW kits can be, particularly boxed games. 
2) Less stress on warehousing.  I don't think this is a real problem for them, but it makes it easy when you're not sitting on product. 
3) It motivates the 'next' release, by scaring all the consumers into the fear of missing out - guaranteeing massive pre-orders and panic buying the second a product is released. 
4) If consumers don't buy the entire product release, the scalpers will - a guarantee of making an additional 10-15-50% by selling the boxes or bits online, etc.
5) They get to occasionally play the hero by re-releasing the sold out product.  They did this with the 40K starter box (THE MAIN PRODUCT YOU SELL), a month after it sold out immediately, they charged in and said "We'll custom make you one, so no one is left out!".  Something they didn't need to do if they had produced an acceptable number, but it garnered them a lot of positive online press.  "Look at how great GW is, they'll actually sell us something they make!", etc.

GW makes heaps of money.  Every single decision they make is intentional.  They don't make mistakes calculating demand.  They have a vast supply of consumer information, sales numbers, etc.  A worldwide massive company producing only 5,000 or 10,000 of starter box games...is intentionally taking the piss.  When a product goes missing for 3-4 months, it all but guarantees the next run to be sold out faster/easier, etc.  It's about keeping the consumer on the fishing line.

Very few companies have such a consumer market they can use in this fashion.  As mentioned before, companies like Apple and some other fashion accessory companies can do this kind of thing - money is no object and everything they make will be sold, etc.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #11653 on: December 13, 2021, 03:08:40 AM »
Good points, thanks for the thoughts. Its probably good that I don't run a business ;)

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11654 on: December 20, 2021, 03:16:04 PM »
So if you missed it the first time, here is your chance to miss it again  lol
Cursed City: Resurrected!

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!