Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:05:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 8
Guests: 488
Total: 496

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683303 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #11610 on: September 19, 2021, 08:57:48 PM »
It's about time they put out some decent NPC's.  Imagine how much you could do if these and the other Necromunda kits were old-school multi-parts, etc. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #11611 on: September 19, 2021, 09:28:10 PM »
It's about time they put out some decent NPC's.  Imagine how much you could do if these and the other Necromunda kits were old-school multi-parts, etc.
Sorry dude, I don't understand? The new kits, and I expect these too, are all fantastic for conversions if that is what you mean. Sure you've got to think a little harder about how to cut 'em up, but they cut up so well. Just look at all the stuff on instagram from the Inq28 and Blanchitsu folk.
Bitz websites get a lot more money from me than GW does these days.  :)

Offline von der Tann

• Scientist
  • "Viel Feind - viel Ehr!" - Georg von Frundsberg
« Reply #11612 on: November 22, 2021, 07:33:18 PM »
... and after the neo-Nazi incident in Spain, that population is growing.

What did I miss???
"Viel Feind - viel Ehr!"
(Georg von Frundsberg, 1473 - 1528)

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #11613 on: November 22, 2021, 08:34:12 PM »
What did I miss???

Short version, some ass calling himself "Austrian Painter" showed up at a tourney in Spain wearing Nazi iconography on his clothes.  Apparently had a DAK Ork army too, but that's neither new nor unusual nor clever., and it wasn't the issue.  One (maybe more) of his opponents complained to the tourney organizer, who insisted (apparently correctly) he couldn't eject the guy because of the way Spanish law works, and when the complainer refused to play the neo-Nazi he was given a game loss while his opponent got a win and finished out the tourney.  The news hit the internet, people freaked out (as well they should), the wannabe-fascist got the tourney results yanked off his ITC ranking a few days later, and GW put out this bit of corporate virtue signaling:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/11/19/the-imperium-is-driven-by-hate-warhammer-is-not/

Going to guess the next thing to happen will be some bright spark of a Hitler-in-training picking a really recognizable symbol from 40K (like that inverted omega for the Ultramarines) and having his little group of brownshirts adopt it as their own, wearing it hate rallies and getting on the news with it prominently featured, happily explaining to reporters how it was inspired by the beautiful writings of Games Workshop who've really helped encourage them to carry on the Reich's work, and [insert group] are actually mutants and should be purged with fire in the Emperor's name, etc, etc. 

GW's legal department might as well shoot themselves once that train wreck starts.

Offline von der Tann

• Scientist
  • "Viel Feind - viel Ehr!" - Georg von Frundsberg
« Reply #11614 on: November 23, 2021, 05:45:58 AM »
Short version, some ass calling himself "Austrian Painter" showed up at a tourney in Spain wearing Nazi iconography on his clothes. 

Thanks - I missed that. Sad thing this happened, even more sad they didn't sanction the dude right away. But I guess humanity will never get rid of idiots ...

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #11615 on: November 23, 2021, 06:48:03 AM »
Thanks - I missed that. Sad thing this happened, even more sad they didn't sanction the dude right away. But I guess humanity will never get rid of idiots ...

Quite the conversation going on about the incident over on Dakkadakka. I think GW is not doing enough but it is typical GW.

In other news… I am surprised how much I like some of the more recent non-Middle Earth GW sculpts. The Middle Earth sculpts lately look rather blocky. Kind of like square jawed Soviet art.

The new Necromunda scatter terrain will work nicely for other games.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11616 on: November 23, 2021, 01:27:58 PM »
Quite the conversation going on about the incident over on Dakkadakka. I think GW is not doing enough but it is typical GW.

Literally what else can they do? The fact they had to put a message out about it and explain the difference between fantasy and reality is a joke

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #11617 on: November 23, 2021, 01:44:07 PM »
I like the look of the Outlaw gang that goes up for pre-order next week.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/iFDxa2DOOxK6Rdnq.jpg

I can see them being useful as basic gangers but also for anyone wanting to have some civilians, with a wee bit of conversion. I'm all about the small games of 2nd ed 40k right now and will likely do a gang of these facing off against an inquisitor...don't fancy their chances though :D

It'd be cool if there was some heavy weapons in the box but it shouldn't be too hard to kit bash some up.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11618 on: November 23, 2021, 01:46:58 PM »
That outlaw gang looks pretty damn good

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #11619 on: November 23, 2021, 01:53:18 PM »
I've been trying to work out what you get in the box...given that there are 4 body designs and 3 of each shown in the pic I'm guessing you get 3 sprues, each with the 4 body types on.

Also shown in the pic there are 8 different heads and 11 different weapons.

So if there are 3 sprues each with 4 bodies, 8 heads and 11 weapons that gives you a hell of a lot of bits and possible combos. Of course I could be wrong.

Either way with a couple of heavy / special weapons a box would be a good sized gang with spare gangers and plenty of options.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #11620 on: November 23, 2021, 02:19:57 PM »
Is it just me, or are these figures (which I'm looking at as generic sci-fi options) a bit ... lifeless compared with, say, the Stargrave kits or the Wargames Atlantic sci-fi stuff?

Perhaps it's just the paintjob or something, but they mostly look a little odd to me - especially the ones with a different weapon in each hand.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 08:23:05 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #11621 on: November 23, 2021, 02:29:41 PM »
I think that might be a taste thing, thought the GW paint job hasn't done them any justice. I can see a lot of conversion potential amongst them.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #11622 on: November 23, 2021, 03:07:01 PM »
Is it just me, or are these figures (which I'm looking at as generic sci-if options) a bit ... lifeless compared with, say, the Stargrave kits or the Wargames Atlantic sci-fi stuff?

Perhaps it's just the paintjob or something, but they mostly look a little odd to me - especially the ones with a different weapon in each hand.
Not just You. They are especially plain compared to other Necromunda miniatures.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #11623 on: November 23, 2021, 03:27:21 PM »
Literally what else can they do? The fact they had to put a message out about it and explain the difference between fantasy and reality is a joke

They can do a lot more than a canned PR statement. How about interviews with key GW bosses, artists and writers speaking out against real world hate? How about humorous adverts of violence being left to toy soldiers? How about 40k having some positive plot threads about combating hatred in order to succeed?

You may think it is a joke but in my experience there are plenty of folks who see Fantasy and fiction as means to show community approval of their values, ie the ends justifies the means, xenophobia is just commonsense, might makes right, do not question authority, mercy is for the weak, science is just another form of religion, etc etc etc ad nauseum.

As for the new gang, I like the less over the top look. I think they will fit in better with Wargames Atlantic and Stargrave for that very reason.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #11624 on: November 23, 2021, 03:45:35 PM »
As for the new gang, I like the less over the top look. I think they will fit in better with Wargames Atlantic and Stargrave for that very reason.

Agreed. I can see me using them for building civilians, gangers, servitors, knight pilots etc.