Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:00:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689256
  • Total Topics: 118267
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1694176 times)

Offline Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #11580 on: August 21, 2021, 10:22:28 PM »
I loved the animation preview personally. Very stylised and I think it fit the Ork perspective really well. I was a little worried they were going to try to make it family friendly, but then a guy got cut clean in half and another had a massive hole blown through him, so my fears were allayed.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #11581 on: August 22, 2021, 01:26:14 PM »
Of course, but it's still an inconvenience, and one that might discourage young hobbyists picking up sculpting.

All you need nowadays is a digital sculpting programme and a resin 3D printer.

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11582 on: August 22, 2021, 04:50:02 PM »
All you need nowadays is a digital sculpting programme and a resin 3D printer.

I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not since I've genuinely seen that advice given to new hobbyists who just want to learn basic sculpting.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #11583 on: August 22, 2021, 11:13:03 PM »
I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not since I've genuinely seen that advice given to new hobbyists who just want to learn basic sculpting.

I was being a bit disingenuous really. I am a firm fan of the art of sculpting by hand (although I can't do it myself) but it is possible to just do everything by CAD method nowadays.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #11584 on: August 23, 2021, 08:50:37 AM »
Trouble with home 3D printing, from the very little I've seen of its process and the results, is that you're reliant on the sculpting templates out there, which produce very samey faces and poses. Maybe in time it will evolve to the stage where you can literally use your laptop to sculpt anything you want in any design, but for now you're stuck with choosing between relatively generic heads and bodies.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11585 on: August 23, 2021, 05:19:08 PM »
I was being a bit disingenuous really. I am a firm fan of the art of sculpting by hand (although I can't do it myself) but it is possible to just do everything by CAD method nowadays.

It certainly is BUT it's essentially an entire second hobby - many of the hobbyists I know who use 3d printing now basically use it exclusivley instead of buying minis to convert - in part because 3d printing has it's own time sink to consider.

It's alos just always great to learn to use actual materials where possible - you lean alot about working in three dimensions from using your hands and being able to mess with the limits and strengths of different materials. (let's not even start on the number of 3d sculpts that get put up in kickstarter promos that are basically uncastable...)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #11586 on: August 23, 2021, 05:45:39 PM »
It's alos just always great to learn to use actual materials where possible - you lean alot about working in three dimensions from using your hands and being able to mess with the limits and strengths of different materials. (let's not even start on the number of 3d sculpts that get put up in kickstarter promos that are basically uncastable...)

From a professional standpoint, I can confirm this. I've definitely done a couple of jobs trying to save sculpts that were technically superior to my own work, but practically impossible to mould or even print as a functional game piece.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #11587 on: August 25, 2021, 03:46:10 PM »
https://www.warhammer40000imperium.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvKOAkMHM8gIV2-7tCh32nwW7EAAYASAAEgJzIfD_BwE

Picked up the first issue for £2.99 today. It has an Ultramarines Primaris Lieutenant and a Necron Warden, plus some d6 and acetate ruler. I'm planning to convert the marine to the Space Wolves and just paint the warden for the hell of it. Can't grumble for 3 quid.

Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #11588 on: August 25, 2021, 04:25:01 PM »
Do these part works actually work out as being a bargain over all? £700+ if you stick with it for all 80 issues!

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #11589 on: August 25, 2021, 04:35:17 PM »
Do these part works actually work out as being a bargain over all? £700+ if you stick with it for all 80 issues!

You know, if it was a model partwork I'd say no, but given GW prices and the fact that these issues retails at £8.99, I think it might save some money even if it's not a bargain.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #11590 on: August 25, 2021, 04:45:29 PM »
You know, if it was a model partwork I'd say no, but given GW prices and the fact that these issues retails at £8.99, I think it might save some money even if it's not a bargain.

The savings compared to buying the same figs at retail vary between 44% to 55% depending on where you live, and that assumes you pay full price for the mag itself (which many will not).  So yeah, it's a "bargain" on par with their big holiday boxes if you actually want everything or think you can reliably trade unwanted stuff off.  Some idiots are expecting to sell the figs they don't want to mitigate the costs, which is going to work poorly since the market will be flooded with this stuff from all the other people thinking the same way.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #11591 on: August 25, 2021, 05:20:34 PM »
By sheer curiosity I looked at the subscription page, it's from Hachette. Since many years this French company floods bookshops in France (and apparently in English-speaking countries too under the name Hachette partworks) with series of magazines with thingies to collect included beneath the cover.

In my experience the first issue can be good value, you get some miniature or something for a really low price, I sometimes bought one. The second issue is usually a bit more expensive but can still be interesting if you really want something. Afterwards it's a fool's curse of bank account damnation, I never tried it. I've seen them selling magazines at a ridiculous price with little bags of miniature plastic bricks for people to make some building, I didn't try to calculate how much it could have cost in all to the poor people they caught.

My advice: run to buy the first issue if you like what comes with it; have a look at the second issue, just in case. Then forget the following ones and buy a couple of pints instead.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #11592 on: August 25, 2021, 05:49:00 PM »
My advice: run to buy the first issue if you like what comes with it; have a look at the second issue, just in case. Then forget the following ones and buy a couple of pints instead.

While I agree with you in general, the ridiculous pricing on GW figs will make specific issues worth getting even after the price per issue spikes (as it did the last two times they did this routine).  Subscribing to the whole run is certainly nuts unless you truly want every single thing, but if someone wants specific models it's worth keeping an eye on what's coming with each issue and trying to grab just what they want.  The trick there becomes getting the issue before it disappears, often through getting bought by speculator/scalpers who then charge a mint on the secondary market.

You can get some bargains even through Hachette, but it takes some luck and effort.  Or you could just not get hypnotized by "cheap" GW stuff that's still less economical than just paying retail for North Star or Wargames Atlantic or Victrix or...well, you get the idea.  :)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #11593 on: August 25, 2021, 06:19:48 PM »
Warhammer+ is open for subscription - https://warhammerplus.com/

£10 voucher and other stuff when you subscribe

ps I thought this topic was pinned, but it's drifting in the warp storms just now  ???

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #11594 on: August 25, 2021, 08:11:17 PM »
The other problem I find is that I would like to cherrypick magazines but very few stockists keep more than the first 4 or 5 issues available 'off the shelf' and you have to either subscribe directly or via the shop with no return options.

For me it's a 35 minute drive to a magazine shop that stocks them throughout the run and there is always the risk they have run out...

Last time (Space Marines vs Death Guard) I missed out on some figures I was after and ended up on eBay trying to save a little money compared to game shops who discount GW sets.

I do wonder if there are any returns and if they are worthwhile - when I last looked they where not available unless you subscribed BUT that was mid print run.