Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:11:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690474
  • Total Topics: 118333
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1698323 times)

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #11940 on: October 08, 2022, 09:36:25 PM »
Something has gone very wrong with GW's 'standard' human dolly. The proportions are so out of whack with what I'd expect of GW figures. They just don't make any internal logic. There's no style - they're being pulled in too many directions, small heads and yet big, chunky details, heroic scale yet not.

Last week I made the (very exciting, to me) discovery that the new Traitor Guard heads fit perfectly for headswaps with the old late-80s Confrontation gangers. I hope that example speaks to your point because they really shouldn't fit. Those first Confrontation gangers were small, and with much more emphasis on correct proportions, as compared to everything else in the RT ranges: they're really unusual in that way. And as everyone knows, GW minis have progressively got larger since then. So how does a 1989 GW mini and a 2022 GW mini have the same size head, especially when the 1989 one does not even have the standard 1989 outsize proportions?

I wonder if the Cadians suffer especially badly with respect to your point though. The "standard" human dolly works alright to my untrained eye for the standard humans: the Underhive scum for example, or the latest traitor guard. But the Cadians are supposed to be ordinary humans and well-equipped body-armoured "future colonial marine" types all at the same time, aren't they? I imagine if they redo the Catachans it may be less of a problem, because if everyone has to look like John Matrix some of those different directions you mention won't apply. Or do you think it is a problem across the board?

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #11941 on: October 10, 2022, 08:17:00 AM »
Uh oh; I recently acquired a back-breakingly heavy* bag of Pig Iron Colony heads, which I was planning to use on Cadian bodies, effectively turning them into (bad?) Germans in space. It's a conversion that was done a lot over a decade ago, and one that's always been in the back of my mind.

I ran into an auction of said heads lot and I decided to pick it up for later use, as it was cheap as chips and Cadian bodies are a dime a dozen, right?

Now, I suppose, I'll have to scrounge up enough Cadians to complete that project before they're priced through the roof. Because the current/previous Cadians are now probably OOP and the last couple of years even ubiquitous plastics have proven to become highly collectible once they're no longer produced. Even the despised 2nd ed monopose Space Marines Gretchin and Orks fetch a premium these days ::)

As an aside; I'm sure we'll get used to them eventually, but I'm not certainly not won over by the look of those new Cadians...

* Not really, but there were a lot of heads and exaggeration has a quality all of its own, right?
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #11942 on: October 10, 2022, 05:27:41 PM »
Now, I suppose, I'll have to scrounge up enough Cadians to complete that project before they're priced through the roof. Because the current/previous Cadians are now probably OOP and the last couple of years even ubiquitous plastics have proven to become highly collectible once they're no longer produced. Even the despised 2nd ed monopose Space Marines Gretchin and Orks fetch a premium these days ::)
Alternatively, you may see people trying to sell off their old Cadians to 'upgrade' to the latest version... possibly. After not seeing not many for sale on the FB For Sale groups I am a member of there are already a a couple of whole armies up in the last couple of days.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11943 on: October 10, 2022, 11:45:47 PM »
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/10/10/pull-back-the-vines-and-catch-a-glimpse-of-the-gnarlwoods-illusive-chameleon-skinks/

Well, this is a bit exciting! Not a huge fan of the blowpipes sticking so far out, but at least the seraphon seem to have rediscovered loincloths.

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11944 on: October 11, 2022, 10:49:55 AM »
I'm not that inspired by those Cadians the poses look quite wooden. Seems more of the same but bigger... and more expensive to buy a bit like the newer Ork boys it allows GW to sell more stuff to those who want all new stuff but it doesn't appeal to me.
I don't mind the old Cadians though so...

I do like the new Mark 6 marines so that's something positive i guess. Oh and the Death Corps of Kreig.

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
« Reply #11945 on: October 11, 2022, 03:28:53 PM »
I'm not that inspired by those Cadians the poses look quite wooden. Seems more of the same but bigger... and more expensive to buy a bit like the newer Ork boys it allows GW to sell more stuff to those who want all new stuff but it doesn't appeal to me.
I don't mind the old Cadians though so...

I do like the new Mark 6 marines so that's something positive i guess. Oh and the Death Corps of Kreig.

It would be nice if an old-school tac squad of ten Mark 6 marines with one special weapon and one heavy weapon was readily available. I think it'd be a fun project to recreate one of my RTB01 squads in the new models. I'll probably just buy a squad and bits on eBay.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 03:35:45 PM by NotifyGrout »
https://www.instagram.com/notify_grout/
Current projects: collecting way too many vintage Warzone models.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #11946 on: October 11, 2022, 04:51:30 PM »
Yeah, that's my plan too.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11947 on: October 12, 2022, 03:34:46 AM »
Not a huge fan of the blowpipes sticking so far out, but at least the seraphon seem to have rediscovered loincloths.
I don't mind the longer blowpipes as they can be quite long in reality, although I can see a shorter blowpipe being more robust on the games table.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #11948 on: October 25, 2022, 03:45:17 PM »
Youtube video with some images of the new guard and the tank

I hadn't expected the guard to be quite so big, although I shouldn't be surprised ::)

More pictures of the tank from GW itself - link

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #11949 on: October 25, 2022, 03:50:10 PM »
The Christmas Catachan releases look awesome.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11950 on: October 25, 2022, 04:37:13 PM »
Anybody here going to ask their wife to get it for her husband, you know... while he's still a child?

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11951 on: October 25, 2022, 04:41:00 PM »
while he's still a child?

Growing old is compulsory.
Growing up is optional.
 lol lol lol

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #11952 on: October 25, 2022, 06:13:34 PM »
As someone who never got into 40K, but kind of enjoyed seeing some of the models over the years (some not so much), I do actually quite like the 'Action Man' (GI Joe to everyone outside the UK) feel of the Imperial Guard - it appeals to my love of toy soldiers after all. But the size ... what are they now, 35mm? 40mm? Wasn't the whole point of making the Space Marines bigger to accentuate the size difference between them and the average human? Where do you put the artillery now, at the bottom of next door's garden?

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11953 on: October 26, 2022, 06:55:40 AM »
I recall the original 'blurb' was along the lines of,
Warfare has not CHANGED (my emphasis) for 40,000 years.
Which resulted in the Space Marine, the ultimate fighting machine.

In the (comparatively) few years since they (GW) seem to have
done little else BUT change the 'ultimate fighting machine'.

Their company, their rules. I even like some of the stuff (Tau & Stunties)
Not the failed WW1 tank designs for Humans, nor the prices, but hey
I'm not forced to buy any of it. There must be a lot who do like & buy it. ::)

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11954 on: October 26, 2022, 09:41:52 AM »
That guardsman is an absolute unit. I almost wonder if there's a member of the design team secretly upping the scale on everything as a very long winded way to get inquisitor back.
A shame as that height makes them almost ludicrously large compared to any other range.