Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:07:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689767
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1696326 times)

Offline Terry Deathstrike

• Assistant
    • Samurai Redundancy Package
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #12225 on: May 23, 2023, 05:53:43 PM »
I'd assume it's also so that they don't need to re-release the entire Fantasy range.

9 armies isn't too shabby though.

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #12226 on: May 23, 2023, 07:48:39 PM »
I believe that the historic period they've picked is just before a great chaos invasion and the rise of Magnus the Pious so I assume daemons etc will feature a lot more in the future.

Ah, sorry, wasn't aware of that story line. For me the Old World is dimly remembered 3rd and 4th ed. and part of that dim memory is that Chaos was always around in the fluff.  I might be completely wrong about that!

I'd assume it's also so that they don't need to re-release the entire Fantasy range.

Ha, yeah, I don't think that was ever going to happen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is never going to be anything more than a niche release, isn't it? We're going to get some old kits back, probably drip-fed, and a few new models to pad out the factions. Even so, I'd have thought the existing daemon range would work fine. You'd just need to put 'em on square bases, which GW have said they'll be selling separately.

Offline Terry Deathstrike

• Assistant
    • Samurai Redundancy Package
« Reply #12227 on: May 23, 2023, 08:19:49 PM »
Ha, yeah, I don't think that was ever going to happen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is never going to be anything more than a niche release, isn't it? We're going to get some old kits back, probably drip-fed, and a few new models to pad out the factions. Even so, I'd have thought the existing daemon range would work fine. You'd just need to put 'em on square bases, which GW have said they'll be selling separately.

They teased new Kislev models back in the mists of March 2020 so not sure if they've downsized their plans for the project heavily or they plan to have "seasons" based on a particular period and particular cast of factions.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/03/23/the-old-world-ice-guard-of-kislevgw-homepage-post-4fw-homepage-post-2/

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12228 on: May 24, 2023, 08:01:34 AM »
Sigh,
I regret getting rid of my kislev army. I think I had everything except ungol archers.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #12229 on: May 24, 2023, 09:17:07 AM »
I found myself looking for some Mummies recently, only to find the army had turned to dust. I nearly bought some Mantic ones, but they didn't quite do it for me, so I'm happy that the Tomb Kings are coming back.

Whether I'll be able to afford them without taking a second job, however...

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12230 on: May 24, 2023, 03:53:39 PM »
I find, if you want anything approaching "Oldhammer", Etsy is awash with excellent more classic Warhammer alternate armies being 3D printed (selling both the STL's, and printed models).  Highland Miniatures makes some absolutely superb stuff.

2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #12231 on: June 02, 2023, 04:11:22 PM »
New 40k rules are up for free download - link

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #12232 on: June 02, 2023, 05:50:50 PM »
Theres also a battle report with the new new rules using the Combat Patrol version...
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #12233 on: June 05, 2023, 10:54:39 AM »
OK, a bit of an Old/Middle Hammer conundrum.

I just came across these books on an auction site and I've never ever seen them before!

I'm assuming they're separately published White Dwarf articles and army lists under the (mail?)'Troll' banner. These appear to be in Spanish, but can anyone tell me if they were ever published in English as well? Because if so, I've got some more hunting to.

And here I was thinking I had each and every publication from Rogue trader up till 6th edition on the shelf...  ::)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #12234 on: June 05, 2023, 01:39:13 PM »
No idea as to if they were published in English or not but I wonder if they were originally printed as part of the Citadel Journel. Perhaps if the Journal wasn't available in Spain they may have done these booklets to help sell the models?

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #12235 on: June 05, 2023, 03:19:41 PM »
Pretty sure Troll was the mail order magazine way back when

Should be a few online/ebay etc in multiple languages

Also

http://www.solegends.com/cittrollmag1998/index.htm

as mentioned here

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/788431.page

If that helps any ran for a few years in UK and for longer in US apparently. but the articles your looking for might be in there and then just a case of finding the physical copies if you want

which it seems via the joys of the internets might cost anything from $3 to $695 per copy...  :D

« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 03:28:33 PM by Tactalvanic »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #12236 on: June 05, 2023, 03:42:43 PM »
Yeah, I just found this gem of a seller... ::)

Makes me regret not being more careful with my few copies back in the day.

I know Troll magazine, and like I said; I had a couple of issues. Great conversion stuff in there. But especially the Harlequin 'codex' in that picture intrigues me. Troll magazine was in black and white and that appears to be a colour cover. Also, Troll mag was a conversion corner basically, with people making cool conversions and then Mailorder facilitating people reproducing them by offering the complete bitz packages. Those were the days.

But they never really dabbled in rules, as far as I know...

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #12237 on: June 05, 2023, 09:23:52 PM »
yup thats the one - keeps popping up when I search now i have started down this rabbit hole  :D

so searching around gets things like

https://dokumen.tips/documents/warhammer-40k-codex-arlequines-troll-18.html?page=1

so its clearly spanish version of Troll - issue 18 - the genestealer one is issue 17.

Good luck in your further searching for the English versions, but I would expect they exist... somewhere.. but if issue twenty is going for that much.. well. probably the seller really wants to keep it. you know OOP and all that  lol

Others of course put the decimal point in a slightly more affordable place

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=troll+mail+order+magazine&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=troll+magazine&_osacat=0

as example there are varied issues available but as Daeothar says its black and white.. maybe some specials where in colour.

Nice find and blast from the past
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 09:33:29 PM by Tactalvanic »

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #12238 on: June 06, 2023, 11:37:45 AM »
That's a small piece of history I never knew of! Having now read all the scans on SoL, I don't feel like I missed anything in not knowing, but it was still interesting to see. Cheers!

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12239 on: July 01, 2023, 10:18:35 PM »
I've been listening to some age of sigmar audiobooks lately and I have to say, I'm actually starting to like it far more as a setting and find it very refreshing compared to the 40k universe.
So much so that I actually went into forbidden planet and bought myself several copies of the age of sigmar partworks magazine, and for less than £60 was able to put together 2 500 point armies.

I've also been noticing as i work my way through the setting that it's far more psychadelic than GW really show - it's like a slightly less grizzly version of Yragael - Urm the Mad, With mortals and their humdrum lives being the exception rather than the rule as they try and carve some civilisation and normality out of the living fabric of reality. I can certainly see why at the start GW didn't put out much of the fluff, because it has taken me a bit of time to really settle into the world and get a feel for what sot of vibe GW are trying to put across - But now that I'm in it all feels remarkably oldschool weird, very heavy metal. the grim and humdrum lives of ordinary people still exist, but they are fragile and in constant peril. There's even a direct elric reference in the way stormcasts respond to the remains of the world that was, viewing it as a burning reminder of the wheel of creation and endless cycle of worlds coming and going.