Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:08:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1734108 times)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #4695 on: March 23, 2016, 11:31:44 PM »
I was always under the impression that the UK/Europe liked Fantasy much more than the US market, because our culture/history doesn't go back to the Middle Ages and is much more closely associated with guns.  That could be complete BS, but I know I heard it somewhere.  :)

At a meeting at GW head office a few years back we were told that Fantasy sold better in Europe than in UK & global markets, but 40K sold better in UK & US markets. One of the GW staff wondered if it might be because most Europeans were uncomfortable with the 40K setting of a totalitarian empire ruling over everyone, (and possibly the eagles & skulls all over the place) but fantasy fitted in with folklore & mythology. The general consensus was that the fantasy side of things was only kept going to keep a European market presence.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #4696 on: March 24, 2016, 02:41:40 AM »
At a meeting at GW head office a few years back we were told that Fantasy sold better in Europe than in UK & global markets, but 40K sold better in UK & US markets. One of the GW staff wondered if it might be because most Europeans were uncomfortable with the 40K setting of a totalitarian empire ruling over everyone, (and possibly the eagles & skulls all over the place) but fantasy fitted in with folklore & mythology. The general consensus was that the fantasy side of things was only kept going to keep a European market presence.

It does seem like many of the newer, smaller Fantasy game systems are more popular in Europe than over here. Didn't even think of the Lebensraum angle.  :o  :(

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4697 on: March 24, 2016, 06:01:36 AM »
Never liked how they split the undead into two separate lines.
Mine aren't, and I have a mish mash ranging from Transylvania to Khemri with an undead menagerie including dogs, a rhino, an elephant and a dinosaur.  :D

Offline Humorous_Conclusion

• Bookworm
    • Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #4698 on: March 24, 2016, 04:29:55 PM »
Looks like they finally got around to squatting the Bretonnian line - most of it is no longer available and sold out.  :(

That's interesting, because none of it ever made it into the "Last Chance to Buy" section of the website.

That would suggest that either that section is being largely dropped just after it got started, or a good part of the Bretonnian line is likely to reappear re-packaged and re-based. GW have done this quite a bit recently. "Sold Out" sometimes means, "sold out in this box, about to be re-boxed".

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #4699 on: March 24, 2016, 05:37:31 PM »
It does seem like many of the newer, smaller Fantasy game systems are more popular in Europe than over here. Didn't even think of the Lebensraum angle.  :o  :(

Well, as I recall, the Nottingham HQ is referred to by locals as "The Reichstag."

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #4700 on: March 24, 2016, 07:26:08 PM »
Well, as I recall, the Nottingham HQ is referred to by locals as "The Reichstag."

The humongous imperial eagle can't have helped.  lol
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4701 on: March 24, 2016, 08:43:50 PM »

It is indeed. It makes it bloody easy to get a taxi there.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #4702 on: March 26, 2016, 12:08:15 AM »
A good 8 pages of fantasy items from the bret, empire, dwarf, and the 3 elf ranges have been put up on 'last chance to buy'... big changes on that front.

And here I was hoping that they would continue to make the empire knights kit for another 20 years...  lol
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4703 on: March 26, 2016, 12:40:18 AM »
A good 8 pages of fantasy items from the bret, empire, dwarf, and the 3 elf ranges have been put up on 'last chance to buy'... big changes on that front.

And here I was hoping that they would continue to make the empire knights kit for another 20 years...  lol

sigh...
Now there are so many figures i want, can't afford and have no immediate use for, but will no doubt be hunting down on some virtual reality version of ebay in 20 years time.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #4704 on: March 26, 2016, 12:51:45 AM »
I know what you mean! I was thinking I should order the sisters of Twilight WE dragon and orion, but then I remembered that I still have the 4th ed wood elf dragon, and I have the OGAM Cerunnos models, which would serve the same purpose if/when I get around to painting them.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4705 on: March 26, 2016, 01:56:17 AM »
Wow, that's a lot of core stuff being done away with.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4706 on: March 26, 2016, 06:19:32 AM »
That could be the biggest loss of the WH world - dumping the empire was not a good idea.  :-[

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4707 on: March 26, 2016, 09:34:36 AM »
That could be the biggest loss of the WH world - dumping the empire was not a good idea.  :-[

There are some empire bits and bobs in the normal purchase section, but they'll probably be redone as freeples or whatever they're calling it. Dang, I wouldn't mind the dwarf adventurers though...why must I have no money?

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #4708 on: March 26, 2016, 09:37:21 AM »
The whole Empire range is intact, what are you talking about? The knights have gone, but all the foot troops and the other cavalry and the machines and characters are still there. New knights in the future maybe?

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4709 on: March 26, 2016, 09:40:19 AM »
Free company are going, along with valten, a warrior priest, Marius Lietdorf, Balthazar Gelt and some captains. Oh, and that Markus character that I never really liked. Most of it's still there, but not all of it.