Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 02:45:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1733917 times)

Offline Ulfhednar

• Librarian
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #5595 on: December 20, 2016, 11:20:05 PM »
I have a GW quick question :-) I dropped out of Citadel & GW when they started going plastic end of the 80's, leading to me quitting the hobby altogether. I've been lured back by the Dredd miniatures game & those leads, and in the process of getting proxies for that, I've kind of ended up with a 40k Sisters of Battle army. And some Witch hunters (because someone put them on a buy now on ebay extremely cheap). And I've discovered I still have a load of metal Space Marines from the end 80's. So as well as Dredd, I thought I may as well get the rules for this stuff so I can also wargame it 40k. Not bothered about most recent rules as I'm not getting back into GW current stuff because I can't deal with plastic.

I picked up this Codex below for Sisters of Battle. I assume the Codex are particular to a certain (I imagine by now out of date) rules edition? Can someone tell me if this Witch Hunters codex 2nd picture down would go / is same period edition as that SoB I bought, and which rules edition am I best going for? Do I need to get the rules that were contemporary to those codex and if so which is that (a picture of the cover would help loads) or would they work with the new set? If they'd work with any, which rules are the best ones to get? Thanks.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5596 on: December 21, 2016, 12:01:00 AM »
Nope.  The Sisters of Battle codex you've shown is from 2nd edition, the Witch Hunters from 3rd.  They are MASSIVELY different games (though 3rd-7th use similar stats/rules, etc.). 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Ulfhednar

• Librarian
« Reply #5597 on: December 21, 2016, 12:13:02 AM »
Thanks for the info, good job I checked :-P It was the only Sisters Codex available anywhere (got one from Amazon) and only version ever sold on ebay on back searches. I guess it will still be good for background. I noticed that Witch Hunters Codex reckons to also cover 'some' of the Sisters stuff, so maybe that updates it and together they'd be enough to work with the 3rd edition rules (that sound a better option as they seem to cover a long period)?

Or would that 3rd edition Witch Hunters be enough on it's own to cover SoB without the 2nd edition SoB codex? (I could cancel that SoB order I only placed it this evening).

And which in your opinion is the best rule edition to go with, 2nd or 3rd?

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #5598 on: December 21, 2016, 01:20:51 AM »
I love that 2nd edition book, I think it's good to have for just for background, relic descriptions, and characters. I believe it is still the book with the most 'pure Sisters' material.

I never played using the Witch Hunters book (I actually thought it was 4th edition but it looks like I was wrong. 3rd edition Sisters had a list in 'Chapter Approved' as well) but I have it anyway ;)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 01:22:24 AM by Dr Mathias »
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5599 on: December 21, 2016, 01:40:28 AM »
I can't comment on the rules, as I prefer 2nd, but a lot of people like other editions.  For material/quality 2nd had (by far) the best codices with the most fluff, background and fully fleshed out lists.  If anything you'd like it for the pictures, colour plates, and storyline materials.  Also the 2nd edition Sisters of Battle codex is rare, so it's always a good buy.  They don't have a large army list though (it's never been a force that was given much real solidity by itself). 

Offline Ulfhednar

• Librarian
« Reply #5600 on: December 21, 2016, 03:17:54 AM »
Thank you, I think then, along with other input I've had I'm going to stick with the SoB book I bought and go 2nd edition. It will probably be more in tune with the 1st edition I played years ago & remember. It's the older original GW that I have a connection with anyway and that's kind of the point of my dabbling (one of the reasons the SoB clicked for me is because the helmet / gothic German armour reminds me of the original Citadel FA10 Adventurer), I'll probably find that connection with old GW more in their 2nd edition than in their later stuff. And as you say it's a good buy anyway, it can all cost a lot but as long as what you're buying is quality it's investing not consuming.

And I guess that's the thing with 3rd edition being more available & cheaper, it will likely be much less collectable going forward. I just got side tracked by the prospect of lots of cheap 3rd edition codex's. Blood Angels are pretty, but then so too are Dark Angels and Space Wolves. And Black Templars. A few £ per codex I could have had a (small) number of tiny units for lots of colour and known what they were :-)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 03:29:18 AM by Ulfhednar »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #5601 on: December 21, 2016, 10:53:13 AM »
That awkward moment when you realise the toilet roll got tucked into the back of your knickers and you've been trailing it around for the last hour without realising.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #5602 on: December 21, 2016, 11:06:21 AM »
That awkward moment when you realise the toilet roll got tucked into the back of your knickers and you've been trailing it around for the last hour without realising.

All you need is an Andrex puppy on the base and you are sorted.
 ;D

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5603 on: December 21, 2016, 11:06:37 AM »
Apart from now not being able to not see toiletpaper, I actually like the models.
I'm a sucker for angelic stuff and these are quite nice.

Once again the Saint falls firmly in the "how the hell do I transport this' category.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5604 on: December 21, 2016, 11:29:51 AM »
I almost envy Ulfhednar, beeing able to jump into one of those old editions without having all the "baggage" from other editions kind of sounds nice.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #5605 on: December 21, 2016, 11:53:10 AM »
Once again the Saint falls firmly in the "how the hell do I transport this' category.

Make it in two parts with a magnetic join where the toilet roll meets the knickers?
 ;)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #5606 on: December 21, 2016, 12:23:31 PM »

GW has gone catholic in a way my Gustavus Adolphus idealizing upbringing makes me recoil. They look like something you would find in the ceiling of the cathedral of The Holy Mother of the Immaculate Conception. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #5607 on: December 21, 2016, 12:26:40 PM »

There is an element of The Amazing Wanda in that sculpt, like "Hey presto!" and white doves spew forth from her sleeve.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #5608 on: December 21, 2016, 01:04:20 PM »

There is no limit to where and when GW find their insperation/ideas to take, and they are more than capable to combine Magic, religion and toilet roll adverts into the GW gaming hobby...

Whatever it takes to save the 40K Universe!

Nice minis though.

Now, where can I get an armor plated, skull covered toilet roll chasing puppy from. With jetpack and gun options..

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #5609 on: December 21, 2016, 01:06:13 PM »
There is an element of The Amazing Wanda in that sculpt, like "Hey presto!" and white doves spew forth from her sleeve.

You, sir, have a much cleaner mind than I do ;D Given their location, sleeve was not quite the body area that sprung to mind.

To the brain bleach o_o