Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 05:20:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1743018 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #6390 on: April 25, 2017, 07:01:49 PM »
List building shouldn't be a big part of the tactical element.

Hear, hear. The metagaming aspect was what put me off the Warhammer family in the first place. I prefer games to be decided on the table, not on the paper.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6391 on: April 25, 2017, 07:07:21 PM »
Lots of games sadly go that way as well. Themes goes out the window and meta takes over. I believe X-Wing is well down that rabbit hole, as is Malifaux and some others.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #6392 on: April 25, 2017, 07:23:52 PM »
Lots of games sadly go that way as well. Themes goes out the window and meta takes over. I believe X-Wing is well down that rabbit hole, as is Malifaux and some others.

oh yea, the first time warhachine did a major rule overhaul the meta quickly became "finding the best combo" to the point of people playing with "count as" models all the time to test a new "build" it felt a lot like magic the gathering, which I quit for the same reason really. Give me thematic over beaten to death meta any day.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6393 on: April 25, 2017, 08:45:37 PM »
Any game which is aimed at tournaments, or serious competition...particularly where prizes/trophies/swag are on the line will complete sour the experience for everyone else outside of your own small gaming group.  It has a trickle-down effect and makes casual pick-up play nearly impossible.

Playing with a small group of like minded individuals?  Solid.  Anything else?  Hold on to your butts.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #6394 on: April 25, 2017, 08:55:29 PM »
Any game which is aimed at tournaments, or serious competition...particularly where prizes/trophies/swag are on the line will complete sour the experience for everyone else outside of your own small gaming group.  It has a trickle-down effect and makes casual pick-up play nearly impossible.

Playing with a small group of like minded individuals?  Solid.  Anything else?  Hold on to your butts.

Nothing makes me want to sell off an army more than playing it in a tournament. So unpleasant.

I actually wanted to like Infinity, but the guys running demos at GenCon were into winning even as they were teaching it to newbs like me. Pretty much soured me on that too- I took that as an indicator of the 'overall game culture'.

Honestly, the games I enjoy the most are ones I run as a GM...
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #6395 on: April 25, 2017, 09:31:43 PM »
Nothing makes me want to sell off an army more than playing it in a tournament. So unpleasant.

I actually wanted to like Infinity, but the guys running demos at GenCon were into winning even as they were teaching it to newbs like me. Pretty much soured me on that too- I took that as an indicator of the 'overall game culture'.

Honestly, the games I enjoy the most are ones I run as a GM...

That sums the whole feel of 'tournament play' up for me.
I used to be regular 40k player when it was amongst a group of like-minded friends, playing at least once a week.
When I moved I joined a local club.
I entered a tournament there thinking that it would be the same but maybe a 'little' more serious, and soon realised that those that played 'competitively' were not my cup of tea and gave up 40k soon after.
I have played 40K once in the last ten years since.

The same with a Blood Bowl tourney at GW HQ.
Whilst I met loads of great people there who really knew how to enjoy themselves two of the six I was drawn to play against made me vow never to play that game 'seriously' ever again.
(One of those two was actually 'red-carded' from the tournament having picked up a 'yellow' against me for cheating and then arguing with a ref about it. I guess he then did it again....).

No more tournament games for me.

I agree with your sentiment regarding GM'ing a game.
I enjoy that far more and treat it as I did when GM'ing an RPG: Sometimes it is better for gameplay, story and harmony that the players 'win' even if they didnt.
 ;)

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #6396 on: April 25, 2017, 10:33:42 PM »
They have now posted some examples of the unit profiles:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/25/warhammer-40000-unit-profiles/

Tomorrow they'll post some examples of the weapon profiles.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6397 on: April 26, 2017, 12:16:37 AM »
As more info comes out, I'm liking the stuff a little less.  Shame really, but I think it's still a huge move in the right direction for 40K.

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #6398 on: April 26, 2017, 04:24:40 AM »
That's a lot of responses.  :D

I was thinking about the combination of everything now being able to hurt anything and the "vehicles get weaker as they take damage"
resulting in a first few hits damaging a vehicle, causing it to start taking damage more easily and being less capable of hurting enemies back
and shortly after resulting in a lot of near or totally useless scrap metal.

Guess that'll depend on the new weapon profiles, my current train of thought's going with the old lasgun profile with it having rapid fire, allowing
a basic Guardsman squad to toss down 20 shots on a good day (30 if using an Order) and with Imperial Guard being able to field at least 25-55
(plus heavy weapon teams & special weapon squads) guys as a single Troops choice...   ;D

But to clarify I'm only gaming in the 40k universe with the In The Emperor's Name ruleset anyways, so official rules changes don't really effect that.
The whole big battle thing just isn't my thing.
Mostly I'm just amused by how this suddenly changes the entire universe as before a Land Raider could fearlessly push into lightly armed enemies
but now guys with las- and autoguns, heck probably even knives, can suddenly tear apart anything - walkers, tanks, titans, fortresses.

What I'd love to see is the retconning of several past battles, the crews of previously invulnerable metal juggernaughts watching in disbelief as their
machines of war are suddenly undone by light arms fire. That'd be quality entertainment, I tells ya.

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6399 on: April 27, 2017, 12:13:39 AM »
Based on what I've seen (and can comprehend based on my limited 40K knowledge) I see some good and bad points. I don't like how flamers don't have a template anymore, but I do like that different models have different move speeds. There's no way that an ogryn should be able to move as fast as a harlequin, imo. Back to your regularly scheduled headless chook running.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6400 on: April 27, 2017, 12:31:56 AM »
Wow, I am so out of touch with 40k. They got rid of move speeds?

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
« Reply #6401 on: April 27, 2017, 03:23:02 AM »
In Rogue Trader rules harlequins and ogryns both have move of 6. Normal eldar a move of 5. Those ogryns have a surprising turn of pace.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6402 on: April 27, 2017, 03:44:20 AM »
Long legs :)

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6403 on: April 27, 2017, 05:25:30 AM »
Fair enough, but having all foot infantry move at the same speed made little sense to me.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6404 on: April 27, 2017, 05:40:03 AM »
Definitely. Think if squats were back in the universe. Squats moving the same speed as harlequins, or hormagaunts.