Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 04:38:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696553
  • Total Topics: 118773
  • Online Today: 579
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1742958 times)

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #6615 on: May 31, 2017, 03:55:06 PM »
How are the AoS Skirmish rules? One thing that struck me when I tried AoS was how it had potential for smaller, skirmishy games.

...with a healthy amount of houseruling, of course.

At a glance a very simple set of minor rules tweaks and a light campaign system for warband progression similar to the Path to Glory rules. Not that different to standard AoS I guess but it does make it a little bit easier to play small scale games.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #6616 on: May 31, 2017, 05:44:29 PM »
How are the AoS Skirmish rules? One thing that struck me when I tried AoS was how it had potential for smaller, skirmishy games.

...with a healthy amount of houseruling, of course.

Good, they're designed for narrative play so i've been habing a good giggle at all the people raging online that they can't take the changeling at the recommended campaign starting size, But if you accept that you're not there to play over powered units and actually want ti invest in your characters, It's good.

The scenarios are where it really shines, They are really look fun and give you a good base to build a flavourful campaign from. The campign is a bit barebones but it's in there and can be expanded on. The fluff is nice aswell, You're essentially fighting in tomb kings mordheim.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #6617 on: May 31, 2017, 06:55:24 PM »
Oddly enough the skirmish rules appear to be the only AoS publication without the actual AoS rules in them! Every other book, the battletomes, the campaign books, the General's Handbook, the 'getting started' book all feature the actual rules somewhere in them. I know they're free online but that seems an odd oversight.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #6618 on: May 31, 2017, 07:24:58 PM »
Oddly enough the skirmish rules appear to be the only AoS publication without the actual AoS rules in them! Every other book, the battletomes, the campaign books, the General's Handbook, the 'getting started' book all feature the actual rules somewhere in them. I know they're free online but that seems an odd oversight.

Depends, maybe they will stop adding them to everything going forwards?
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6619 on: June 01, 2017, 12:05:07 AM »
What do you mean 'without the rules?' Does it just give you the fluff and expect you to have the dice-rolly part yourself?

Online horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #6620 on: June 01, 2017, 12:51:46 AM »
I read through the skirmish rules (the background not the rules; I still have to try and sort those out) and I see some parallels between it and the old Mordheim setting.  The skirmish set is a quick fix for small scale AoS but I'm looking at it as a test for a true Mordheim successor.  I can't see them loking back to the Old World for a revival.  If you were to take every reference to Shadeshards (or whatever they called it) and subbed in Warpstone you would have a very familiar setting for a future Mordheim-like.  I think they are set on a board game format rather than a skirmish game though.  I'd love to see it but I really want BFG too :D .  I'm happy and for the first time in a very long time there are a lot of GW models hitting my paint table.  They are bankrupting me with kindness.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #6621 on: June 01, 2017, 12:54:48 AM »
What do you mean 'without the rules?' Does it just give you the fluff and expect you to have the dice-rolly part yourself?

The core AOS rules.
The book contains add on tules for skirmish play but not the 4 core pages of game rules.
Every other book up to this point has had them, Tho to be honest i think they may have decided that as this book is essentially an add on for the generals handbook there's little need for them in it.Also it keeps it cheap.

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6622 on: June 01, 2017, 07:46:35 AM »
Rogue trader players manage it.
I own and read that rulebook and that is just a case of roll dice and guess

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6623 on: June 01, 2017, 08:13:54 AM »
I think that for a rulebook, it's weird to not include the core rules (all four pages of them), especially when they are required for the stuff in the Skirmish book, and when all the big army/background books do.

I'm also a bit surprised that they went with a big-format stapled-page book; a smaller book would have been easier to carry about. The stapled binding is probably what limits the page count rather severely, and I suppose that hardback would have been too expensive - plus anything perfect-bound is a bastard to keep open for reference during play.

Anyway, it looks like a pretty straightforward set of add-on rules, although I would be tempted to start with a bit more than the initial 25pts. At 25pts, you are going to have about three models, which going by previous experience of many other games, is frankly not that much fun to play with. Still, these are easy things to house-rule, eh? :)

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #6624 on: June 01, 2017, 10:48:09 AM »

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #6625 on: June 01, 2017, 10:58:47 AM »
Nice to see that even in the far future, there's a place for male voice choirs.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #6626 on: June 01, 2017, 11:11:23 AM »

Japanese release only, for now.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/31/space-marine-heroes-in-japan/

Wait, are these pre-painted blind bagged collectable models? Since that is what Japan tends to go for. Fascinating to see GW moving into that market, might not be a bad idea.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6627 on: June 01, 2017, 12:55:26 PM »
No, they're coloured plastic single-sprue Gashapon style blind boxes.  Pretty clever and hugely market appropriate.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #6628 on: June 01, 2017, 07:53:14 PM »
Bugger, I want them.
Now what?

EDit:the store display box looks like a rhino. God damn it, I really want to collect these now.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 07:56:08 PM by nic-e »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6629 on: June 01, 2017, 09:38:18 PM »
Start hitting up eBay or find a buddy in Japan.  lol