Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:12:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1734039 times)

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #7215 on: August 18, 2017, 11:10:39 AM »
I wonder if the new Necromunda rules will end up being close enough to either Shadow War: Armageddon or 40k 2nd edition

From earlier in this gigantic thread (and also in the closed Necromunda discussion thread):

So we are broadly looking at a game based on the 8th Edition 40k mechanics, but tailored to skirmish warfare. We see the addition of Action Points, that can be used to activate gangers in a similar way to how Space Hulk works. Different actions will cost different points, such as activating a Heavy will cost two Action Points, whereas your run of the mill Ganger will cost only one.

I also saw some chat somewhere about group activation with leaders kinda like Frostgrave. Sounding good to be honest, IGOUGO is a really outdated mechanic these days (unless there's some kind of reactions system to balance it like Infinity) so good to see it ditched.

I'm just concerned about how the campaign system is gonna work... as far as I heard the Shadow War system is basically just choose a model to give a new ability to after each game. Hoping they've not dumbed it down to that kind of level...

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7216 on: August 18, 2017, 12:29:02 PM »
For anyone interested, HMO collectables, Makers of very nice and expensive statues and character sculpts, Have just got the license to make 1/6th scale 40k statues from GW.

These will no doubt be expensive as all hell but sodding gorgeous to look at.

Also I'm really enthusiastic about the way GW are spreading their IP to smaller companies.
It feels like a show of support for the wider industry from GW ,and a noted change from their isolationism.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline chamberlain

• Assistant
  • Hhhhmmmmmm!
« Reply #7217 on: August 18, 2017, 09:51:17 PM »
I also saw some chat somewhere about group activation with leaders kinda like Frostgrave. Sounding good to be honest, IGOUGO is a really outdated mechanic these days (unless there's some kind of reactions system to balance it like Infinity) so good to see it ditched.

I'm just concerned about how the campaign system is gonna work... as far as I heard the Shadow War system is basically just choose a model to give a new ability to after each game. Hoping they've not dumbed it down to that kind of level...

It's definitely a downside to the big thread to lose things in the multiple pages.  Don't know how I didn't see that.  Thanks!

I agree that IGOUGO is out dated.  Though to be fair lots of non-IGOUGO turn structures are just as old (appearing alongside IGOUGO in all sorts of early 60s wargaming rules and newsletters).  What I don't like is people not playing a game when they play a game.  It's why i find the original necromunda rules quite dissatisfying.  It's far more tactical than other warhammer games and it really punishes new players for mistakes and they can have entire turns where they do nothing as stuff actually in contact with the enemy is all pinned.  It's cool that it rewards skill and all that, but for new players and people just looking for a laugh, sitting there either from IGOUGO or everything pinned is just boring.

It's entirely possible that the new necromunda, if it does turn out to be sufficiently like 8th edition, plus the index book imperial 2 will be my go to 40k skirmish rules going forward.

I've of two minds for the campaign system.  I've played 500+ games of league bloodbowl (in person).  I've now hit the point where I have zero patience for teams getting ground away with injuries and deaths.  I've done it enough and I just don't enjoy it any more.  Perhaps something like the hinterlands 2.1 document on The Grand Alliance for Age of Sigmar skirmish will be compatible with the new Necromunda?  It has an experience point system, I believe.

I've started looking at miniatures for some 40k sci-fi skeskis.  Looking like taking hunched robed reaper bones and adding the triangular shoulder dress and then swapping limbs and heads will work.  I'm sure I can find vulture heads somewhere.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 09:57:33 PM by chamberlain »

Offline Shamash-Bel

• Bookworm
« Reply #7218 on: August 18, 2017, 10:17:08 PM »
I've started looking at miniatures for some 40k sci-fi skeskis.  Looking like taking hunched robed reaper bones and adding the triangular shoulder dress and then swapping limbs and heads will work.  I'm sure I can find vulture heads somewhere.

Wargods of Aegyptus Nekharu are ideal: https://www.crocodilegames.com/store/itemList.cfm?catID=25&sort=prodID

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #7219 on: August 19, 2017, 06:22:19 AM »
Has there been much mention yet of the blightwar nurgle thingy coming up for AoS?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/17/nurgle-rises-in-the-mortal-realms-aug-16gw-homepage-post-1/

Looks like Nurgle will be getting chaos snails! (according to internet detectives)

Interesting to see how it turns out once it is revealed. I can't help but think that Scibor miniatures did it first though...

Maybe they will send GW a CnD, perhaps?  lol
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7220 on: August 19, 2017, 04:09:23 PM »

Maybe they will send GW a CnD, perhaps?  lol

That depends, Does he already have a C&D letter he can take a pressmould from?

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7221 on: August 19, 2017, 10:12:04 PM »
Ok, that was one of the best minis snarks I have ever read!

To be clear, I think Scibor is an amazing sculptor when he's working on things he's enthusiastic about, But it's very clear that he's found a way to churn stuff out for maximum profit. I can't say i wouldn't do the same because I absolutely would.His commissions and custom work are great, A really talented figurative sculptor.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7222 on: August 19, 2017, 11:54:45 PM »
Dragonsnails! Greg Stafford(he of Runequest) may have something to say about that...
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Shamash-Bel

• Bookworm
« Reply #7223 on: August 20, 2017, 12:04:49 AM »
Dragonsnails! Greg Stafford(he of Runequest) may have something to say about that...

I mean, about half of Warhammer's Chaos is lifted wholesale from Glorantha. What's one more thing? lol

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7224 on: August 20, 2017, 01:00:46 AM »
Oh, Have we mentioned that World of tanks are going to be doing a bunch of 40k vehicles? I don't know how the game works but I'm sure there's going to be alot of fun in sending a bunch of shermans up against a landraider.

Offline Shamash-Bel

• Bookworm
« Reply #7225 on: August 20, 2017, 03:44:20 PM »

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #7226 on: August 20, 2017, 04:19:24 PM »
Daftest warhammer figure ever?

But also one of the most fun.

From a new Nurgle vs Stormcast box set. https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/20/blightwar-new-rules-new-models-and-moregw-homepage-post-2/

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #7227 on: August 20, 2017, 05:00:06 PM »
 lol lol lol

I actually like that.
Not as a serious gaming figure but it is a bit of fun nonetheless.

Of course, it will probably look less fun when I see the price tag......

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #7228 on: August 20, 2017, 06:23:37 PM »
I am definitely getting that set!!!

I think it is made for me. Wonderful.

I have been paying gw so much money lately that my head is spinning.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7229 on: August 20, 2017, 06:29:48 PM »
Did one of the oldhammer players swap the designs for the grimplague pusscrawler for this amazingly smiley thing?
 lol

Also that plant on the back.. "little shop, little shop of horrors..."

EDit:
NEW STARTER SET? that slipped under the radar! I have some stormcasts i've been meanign to turn into an army and I've always loved nurgle... god damn it GW.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 06:31:59 PM by nic-e »