Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:53:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1734095 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #12420 on: January 16, 2024, 11:11:41 AM »
Well, it still is a resin, studio-only master, so should still be worth plenty more than a new pewter one. I find that the story behind ultra rare miniatures is at least as important as the physical model.

And he knows where and how he got it...

And yes; the CCM group (and also the 1999-collectors group) formed a wonderful community :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #12421 on: January 16, 2024, 05:41:55 PM »
Reference the Hachette Partwork for Combat Patrol, it turns out the trial is regional

https://www.fauxhammer.com/news/warhammer-40000-combat-patrol-announcement/#How_Does_a_Trial_Work
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #12422 on: January 19, 2024, 02:10:06 PM »
A couple of interesting things on the GW website today: lots of new Kroot and plastic Solar Auxilia incoming.

The Kroot aren't quite as good as the Kill Team Kroot in my opinion, but I imagine you could make a pretty good-looking squad mixing the two kits together.

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12423 on: January 19, 2024, 09:48:10 PM »
I'm excited for the new witch-hunters warband for age of sigmar - I like the idea of adding them to my stormcast army, old school inquisition style. Plus city of secrets was the first age of sigmar book I read and it really sold me on the world, so having the characters on the table will be fun.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #12424 on: January 20, 2024, 08:49:30 PM »
Ooh some more details on the plans for made to order in the update on orcs.

Apparently the Maurauder Giant is making a return?! But will it be cheaper than classic ebay prices?

"Made to Order
On top of all that, there’ll be a hand-curated selection of Made to Order Orcs and Trolls for the true connoisseurs, including none other than the fabled Marauder Giant – who, like all the others in this tranche, is returning in metal."

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #12425 on: January 20, 2024, 09:03:50 PM »
That was the most interesting WoW article so far, especially the made to order stuff and the giant. It's nice to see those boar boyz return too.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #12426 on: January 20, 2024, 09:49:27 PM »
Those made to order announcements have been the most potentially expensive thing for me so far, was kinda tempted by the grail knights, luckily they'd sold out ages before I saw them.

Yvan eht nioj!

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #12427 on: January 21, 2024, 07:19:52 PM »
More preview news - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/01/21/sunday-preview-the-first-wave-of-old-world-made-to-order/

Lots of metal, and Orcs and Goblins coming back next

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #12428 on: January 22, 2024, 01:28:54 AM »
Mm, so made to order only available for limited FOMO cycles.

Should be enough for GW to cash in on old mini prices while maintaining a high ebay price for old minis

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12429 on: January 22, 2024, 08:36:06 AM »
I don’t get the excitement of the old world, just another cash cow for GW to milk

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12430 on: January 22, 2024, 10:38:30 AM »
What gets me is the atmosphere around the hype of: "At last we can play Old World WFB battles again!" As if they ever had to stop. But that's the "GW Hobby" for you, I suppose. Encouraged to stick with what's official and supported...

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12431 on: January 22, 2024, 04:01:34 PM »
My main bugbear is that in many cases these are sculpts that people HATED when they were avaliable. The orc boys were loathed - players had been crying out for new orc plastics for years - then they went away for a couple of years and people are now THRILED to have them back. They were still available well into age of sigmar but somehow the new packaging is like some sort of magical nostalgia filter that makes people forget how many of these orcs you can still find on ebay/carboot sales/in shops with older age of sigmar stock.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #12432 on: January 22, 2024, 04:38:07 PM »
:D I know what you mean. I'm not really one for nostalgia, a crap sculpt in the 80s or 90s is still a crap sculpt now.

The plastic orc boyz do look good mixed with the 40k ork boyz.

For me the Old World suffers from the same problems that WFB suffered from, too many minis needed and the sculpts are either dated or dialled up to 11.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12433 on: January 22, 2024, 06:14:50 PM »
:D I know what you mean. I'm not really one for nostalgia, a crap sculpt in the 80s or 90s is still a crap sculpt now.

The plastic orc boyz do look good mixed with the 40k ork boyz.

For me the Old World suffers from the same problems that WFB suffered from, too many minis needed and the sculpts are either dated or dialled up to 11.

I've also already seen alot of "well I will play because I loved total war warhammer but I'll be proxying x/y/z"
Which is fine, totally great, absolutely what you should do if you want to play and like those models. BUT let's not pretend it's not part of why they killed the game in the first place - the buy in cost for a new player to catch up to the existing player base was INSANE, so people weren't buying in. Right now everyone is roughly on the same level but it's still going to be a real slog for a new player in 2 or 3 years time to make an army for TOW compared to the more freeform army building of AOS. GW are evidently angling for TOW to act as a horus heresy style system to the more mass appeal of Age of sigmar, but The horus heresy didn't take off fully until GW brought it into plastic and then made multiple cheap starter sets that acted as a shortcut to army building, letting new players catch up the the established player base with their existing and finished forces of forgeworld kits. But that only worked because the HH can be played largely with the same units regardless of your army choice.

Either the game maintains enough momentum to have a rolling base of new players buying in, or in a few years time we see the same tiered system we had with fantasy - Established players not buying anything, and new players locked out of the game because of the cost of catching up needed to play any games.

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #12434 on: January 22, 2024, 08:05:54 PM »
My main bugbear is that in many cases these are sculpts that people HATED when they were avaliable. The orc boys were loathed - players had been crying out for new orc plastics for years - then they went away for a couple of years and people are now THRILED to have them back. They were still available well into age of sigmar but somehow the new packaging is like some sort of magical nostalgia filter that makes people forget how many of these orcs you can still find on ebay/carboot sales/in shops with older age of sigmar stock.

Eh... it's the same reason why so many people stopped playing the game. It's not like somehow the game  didn't exist anymore yet now a lot of people talk sa if they're finally allowed to play again.
As much as I don't get it, (and I really don't) a lot of people need a game to be "supported" in order to devote any time and effort to it.