Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:17:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682802 times)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2013, 12:43:42 AM »
No idea, but I'd personally rather wait for Vic Lamb's versions.

http://victoriaminiatures.info/category/news/

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2013, 02:00:13 AM »
I thnk I've heard of those IG models before. You're not the first to ask after them, but the maker has long disappeared. Vermis probably has the best advice there.

As far as GW thinks, women do not actually exist (except for Slaanesh and space witches). In the grim drakness of the far future, mankind is a species of self-replicating hermaphrodites. With a "NO GURLZ ALOUD!!1" sign on their clubhouse.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2013, 04:32:47 PM »
Anyone seen the latest Space Marine release? Among other things, the plastic commander box will be £18.

EIGH-TEEN POUNDS for a single plastic 28mm figure.

For that I could buy, say, forty Perry WOTR infantry, fourteen figures from Copplestone, twelve from Foundry, a platoon plus support weapons from Flames of War, etc, etc, etc...

Whatever the head office at GW are on, I want some. It most be lovely living is such a state of detachment from reality.  lol

Sorry. I'll leave now.  ;)
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline GladioHumanitas

• Bookworm
  • I can't see through this helmet.
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2013, 04:39:03 PM »
Seen it, and the commander has a grand total 8 (or was it 9 or was that the librarian) different parts.
"His ability to outrun a burning hydrogen airship was lacking, so the Law of Natural Selection said he had to go (it's not always a fair statute)."

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2013, 05:17:25 PM »
I know this is not strictly not GW but can anyone help me to trace theses. I believe they were made by someone called doc thunder but can find anything beyond 2009.

Check out the work in progress forum moderated by Grey Death. Doc Thunder also did some female marines too.

Quite a while back though so good luck finding them.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2013, 12:48:50 PM »
Anyone seen the latest Space Marine release? Among other things, the plastic commander box will be £18.

For that I could buy, say, forty Perry WOTR infantry, fourteen figures from Copplestone, twelve from Foundry, a platoon plus support weapons from Flames of War, etc, etc, etc...

Whatever the head office at GW are on, I want some. It most be lovely living is such a state of detachment from reality.  lol

Sorry. I'll leave now.  ;)

People are buying them and the £70 army books, so I'd say their on something good.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2013, 01:05:41 PM »
People are buying them and the £70 army books, so I'd say their on something good.

Yup, it's the ppl buying them who's on something.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2013, 02:59:18 PM »
Some of the changes are welcome.  The tactical squad now has five squad/heavy weapons and a combi-weapon, and a decent range of close-combat options.  The plastic Sternguard have a really good mix of weapons and 8 combi-weapons.  Both are long-overdue.

Centurions hideous, but I like the idea of using them as mining rigs.  Not enough to buy them, mind.

Price increases not so nice, but 'twas ever thus.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 05:30:20 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2013, 07:44:53 PM »

yup - glad I was sitting down when I read that (and not drinking anything).

When I first saw the price I thought it was FailCast, but nope. Interestingly, neither of the character figures are FailCast - perhaps they've quietly given up on it, and this is a sign of things to come...

I wonder if they'll break the £20 barrier this year. Got to be one of the signs of the apocalypse - the real one, not the GW one ;D

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2013, 10:13:04 PM »
IIRC finecast was only meant to be a stopgap between metal abandonment and total plastic production. How long that 'stopgap' is meant to last, I've no idea; but for the single army that outsells each other 40K faction and the entirety of WHFB, I would guess they'd invest to hurry it along a bit.

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2013, 04:34:35 PM »
yup - glad I was sitting down when I read that (and not drinking anything).

When I first saw the price I thought it was FailCast, but nope. Interestingly, neither of the character figures are FailCast - perhaps they've quietly given up on it, and this is a sign of things to come...

I wonder if they'll break the £20 barrier this year. Got to be one of the signs of the apocalypse - the real one, not the GW one ;D

It does not surprise me that much. I've been watching (and playing part of the time) GW products for some years now. Back when i started I bought single metal minis for less than 10€ and even cheaper when i was in the UK. At least they cannot blame it on increasing pewter prices anymore  :) .
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 04:36:07 PM by Glitzer »
Far less active than I used to...

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2013, 06:37:13 PM »
I remember getting my 50p pocket money and going down to the toy shop each week to buy a new miniature. Prices for a general adventurer type (Citadel, Ral Partha, Grenadier) started at around 30p, rising to a whopping 80p for some of the ogres.

If I was really disciplined I would save up my pennies for a 'Regiment of Renown' box - £3 for 8 troopers and a character model (choice of leader, champion, musician or standard bearer).

Them were the days.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2013, 07:21:53 PM »
I remember getting my 50p pocket money and going down to the toy shop each week to buy a new miniature. Prices for a general adventurer type (Citadel, Ral Partha, Grenadier) started at around 30p, rising to a whopping 80p for some of the ogres.

If I was really disciplined I would save up my pennies for a 'Regiment of Renown' box - £3 for 8 troopers and a character model (choice of leader, champion, musician or standard bearer).

Them were the days.
Sadly I wasted those Days of Glory with reading textbooks (I guess I was a very weird child).

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2013, 07:25:55 AM »
Just spotted on the GW site the Chapter deal. $20,000 (a bit over actually) NZ $.  I then looked to see what the markup is for the southern hemisphere and saw for the UK it is 7000 pounds. Roughly leaving $6000. For that price (if I was insane enough to buy that) I could buy a ticket to the UK, have a nice holiday, and ship the stuff back. I sincerely hope anyone down this way that does buy into this deal does exactly that.  o_o
 :o

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2013, 11:23:48 AM »
I sincerely hope anyone who buys into that deal anywhere in the world has their friggin head examined cause it aint cheap anywhere!