Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:34:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686501
  • Total Topics: 118104
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682956 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #345 on: January 18, 2014, 03:25:25 PM »
Farrah hair ... always gets the job done.

My brother once had a female fighter character in D&D. Her name was Brunhild and she was big, strong and ugly. He had a lot of trouble finding a figure for her ... I think he found one in the Citadel female fighters in the end, but had to wade through dozens of metal-bikini bints who apparently felt the best protection was a couple of hubcaps and a chainmal thong.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #346 on: January 18, 2014, 03:28:18 PM »
Farrah hair ... always gets the job done.

My brother once had a female fighter character in D&D. Her name was Brunhild and she was big, strong and ugly. He had a lot of trouble finding a figure for her ... I think he found one in the Citadel female fighters in the end, but had to wade through dozens of metal-bikini bints who apparently felt the best protection was a couple of hubcaps and a chainmal thong.

It's a good thing most dungeons aren't underground, cold, and clammy. Apparently they are all sun-filled, sandy beaches with walls.  lol

It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #347 on: January 18, 2014, 05:22:19 PM »
It'll be interesting to see what games see better numbers as a reult of more women being introduced to the hobby. My buddy once said that for percentages of women playing, the hierarchy was something like RPGs >>> Nerdly Card Games (like Magic, etc.) >>> Tabletop wargames, and in my limited experince I'd say his assessment is right.

It's certainly not impossible for women to get into wargaming, without even going for the cute angle. The missus is actually interested in trying out Pulp Alley and is getting me to do up a league specifically for her.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #348 on: January 18, 2014, 05:30:32 PM »
My wife DESPISES my hobby. I got her to play two games, in our entire 20something years together: one game of that bean farming card game (she won, handily), and a game of Wings of War (she won, handily).

Wait ... maybe she doesn't hate my hobby, she just isn't challenged by it ...  lol

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #349 on: January 18, 2014, 05:41:10 PM »
My wife has no understanding.  One game of Judge Dredd in 33 years and she WON! Oh! and she watched Star Trek IV, Indiana Jones II and the first quarter of LOTR I.  I think that is the limit of her wargaming viewing!  :'(
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #350 on: January 18, 2014, 07:03:52 PM »
In my experience when women get into the hobby genre, they tend to be very good at it. Look at our own Helen and her Japanese army - they are just superb.

But there's certainly not enough of them, that's fer shewer.

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #351 on: January 18, 2014, 07:13:45 PM »
My Wife actually games and paints her own toys (Currently this is Nurgle and Slaaneshi Demons) But she doesn't care much for the fluff. Were as I love the old classic one peice metals, she prefers the new mutli part plastics.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #352 on: January 18, 2014, 07:16:12 PM »
Chico, you need to change the spelling of Oldhammer to Öldhammer.

And if you haven't the faintest idea what I'm talking about, try googling the new acronym  lol
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #353 on: January 18, 2014, 07:18:25 PM »
My wife doesn't understand why I paint little pieces of metal shaped into toys. She watches movies like lotr and enjoys them and likes the different sorts of card games but minis are too much of a stretch.

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #354 on: January 18, 2014, 07:29:37 PM »
Chico, you need to change the spelling of Oldhammer to Öldhammer.

And if you haven't the faintest idea what I'm talking about, try googling the new acronym  lol

Hahaha love it :) Mulled Wine eh? Going to have to make some for the next meet up :)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #355 on: January 18, 2014, 10:04:36 PM »
and is not engaged by the subject matter or is purpose I suspect.

Most of my GF's have liked the artistic aspect of the painting and thats as far as it goes. TBH thats always been fine with me. lots of them have had hobbies I dont get either.

If they did have a go it was just being polite, sort of like when we go to their pals places and feign surprise and delight that a: they figured out how to breed and b: it resulted in a little homunculus that smells bad most of the time and makes too many annoying noises.

lol

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #356 on: January 18, 2014, 10:17:01 PM »
and is not engaged by the subject matter or is purpose I suspect.

Most of my GF's have liked the artistic aspect of the painting and thats as far as it goes. TBH thats always been fine with me. lots of them have had hobbies I dont get either.

If they did have a go it was just being polite, sort of like when we go to their pals places and feign surprise and delight that a: they figured out how to breed and b: it resulted in a little homunculus that smells bad most of the time and makes too many annoying noises.

There is a lot to be said for a partner at least trying something they have no interest in though. At the very least they are open minded enough to give it a go.

Also when people say "Aww your baby is so cute" when you are actually thinking. Thats an ugly little thing staring at me. You cant go round someones house and tell them their baby looks funny.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #357 on: January 18, 2014, 11:16:13 PM »
I always screw it up and refer to the baby as an it. How old is it? that sort of thing. TBH its my least liked social engagement....

Gotta agree with you there.
A baby is a baby to me.

I just cant see what the fuss is all about.....

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #358 on: January 19, 2014, 12:12:19 AM »
Part of it may be that the industry makes little effort to court them as customers. Women in war games are almost always to be looked at first and foremost.

It seems many developers don't even see women as a potential customers.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #359 on: January 19, 2014, 01:21:58 AM »
Gotta agree with you there.
A baby is a baby to me.

I just cant see what the fuss is all about.....

Kinds of on this topic, but a little sidetracked whenever I'm talking to a woman that is quite obviously pregnant I won't ask questions about when it's due, just in case she's just having a fat day (year/life?). She would have to screaming in a hospital pushing it out before I would ask that question... At which point it's both irrelevant, annoying and weird.