Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:24:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686595
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683195 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #360 on: January 19, 2014, 08:05:21 AM »
As illuminating as this discourse is, may I remind everyone that this is the GW thread. Please try to get back on topic.

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #361 on: January 19, 2014, 12:03:18 PM »
This must be the first time in this forum's eight year history when the moderators ask for more GW discussion. :o

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #362 on: January 19, 2014, 01:55:04 PM »
This must be the first time in this forum's eight year history when the moderators ask for more GW discussion. :o

This is the GW Discussion thread, after all. As important as it is to get the better halves aquainted with and interested in the hobby, the discussion is straying off topic.

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #363 on: January 19, 2014, 02:00:30 PM »
I wish there could be more GW discussion here.Unfortunatly threads like this turn into a antiGW/I hate GW/your a putz if u like GW bitchfest.
Even sticking it here by its own has drawn them like moths to flame.There are,I think, quite a few who play or still use GW on this forum but I think they stay away from  GW discussion because of a very vocal (I wont say minority because they may be majority).
It reminds me of when I was a early teen and had to hide my historical figures from my classmates because of embarrassment or ridicule.
Sad really.
Carry on  

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #364 on: January 19, 2014, 03:16:14 PM »
I wish there could be more GW discussion here.Unfortunatly threads like this turn into a antiGW/I hate GW/your a putz if u like GW bitchfest.

Can't speak for anyone else here, but I'd be surprised if I'm the only one whose GW antagonism in born out of frustration. A kind of a sense of betrayal, if that doesn't sound too sad. I know I'd still be buying GW minis by the shovelful if they were priced halfway decently. (recently my biggest GW spend has been occassionally picking Seb Perbett's excellent skaven off ebay for cheap) Like I said, I've been following some interesting discussions on Warseer's GW General Discussion board since the half-year results and stock drop were announced, and they're chock full of people who still like GW's minis and imagery, but can't justify the prices, the rules, and/or the business's practises. Again, like I said, it's a view held by some very level-headed and business-savvy people, as well as... people who aren't.

Even sticking it here by its own has drawn them like moths to flame.

Jings. I've been hanging around for ages, waiting for this thread to show some activity.

There are,I think, quite a few who play or still use GW on this forum but I think they stay away from  GW discussion because of a very vocal (I wont say minority because they may be majority).

Well, not to bang on about Warseer, but I see this thread as LAF's version of their GW General Discussion board: the people still into the nitty-gritty of the minis and games discuss releases, rules, and their own armies elsewhere. The unimpressed and disillusioned, people looking in from the outside (or in the process of being pushed out) tend to look at and discuss GW as a whole rather than small, specific matters in a single game. Inevitably they look at the general problems and faults of GW as a whole, that keep them on the outside. :) (Judging by your response, it means this thread's gaining the same reputation as Warseer's GW General, too. ;) )

If there's a dearth of other GW-related topics in Future Wars, Fantasy Adventures, etc. here, I'd guess a major factor is that 'elsewhere' is not another board or cluster of boards on this forum, but several different, whole forums dedicated to GW. Even some dedicated to individual GW races, let alone games! You'll probably get some discussion, inspiration and admiration for your space orks here, but you'll probably get a lot more somewhere like Da Waaagh.
On that note: from what I've seen, people still into the nitty-gritty of GW's minis and especially the games, tend to be very uninterested in the rest of the wargaming world. (The number of GW fans I've seen become furious in insisting that they're GW hobbyists, rather than wargamers!) Not so much that the LAF doesn't cater to them, IMO, as they couldn't care less about most of the stuff posted here.

(Me, I love the LAF. Other forums dedicated to specific games or genres are alright, but I only know three general gaming forums: this, Frothers, and TMP. Both with plenty of news but also plenty of idiocy, and I only go near Frothers anyway. Dunno what I'd do without this place!)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #365 on: January 19, 2014, 03:46:08 PM »
Even sticking it here by its own has drawn them like moths to flame.There are,I think, quite a few who play or still use GW on this forum but I think they stay away from  GW discussion because of a very vocal (I wont say minority because they may be majority).
It reminds me of when I was a early teen and had to hide my historical figures from my classmates because of embarrassment or ridicule.
Sad really.
Carry on  

I like GW's fluff and a lot of their models. I come to this thread to have a grumble about the way things are with GW in general as my negativity is generated by their business practices. I would utterly LOVE to be able to be really into Warhammer fantasy again, but for various reasons I am kept away by the way things are with the company right now. It's good to get the frustration out in the open. I definitely don't have a negative view of those whose personal line has yet to be crossed by the prices/quality or whatever. I don't think anyone here thinks that way, and indeed as Vermis says, a lot of the anti-GW talk is born of frustration as many of us were once keen GW-buyers/gamers.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #366 on: January 19, 2014, 04:47:58 PM »
I fell in love with Citadel.

Games Workshop doesn't interest me nearly as much.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #367 on: January 19, 2014, 07:32:45 PM »
Gotta agree with you there.
A baby is a baby to me.

I just cant see what the fuss is all about.....

Wait till you hold yours for the first time! Nothing is ever the same after that.

In fairness to GW I think a lot of their unpopular policies were good business sense. It's hard to make money off people who have already bought their armies and can then keep them for thirty years, playing against their mates every weekend. The odd brush and pot of paint from customers won't keep even a medium sized business afloat.

So, new models needed to be continually released and this meant that eventually the ranges needed to be completely overhauled. After all, the Warhammer and 40K universes are bound by self-defining limits an historical manufacturer isn't. In order to make sure that people didn't just stick with their old figures, GW then had to find a way to invalidate them - thus the rules and army books were continually overhauled.

Had they kept investing in the hobby clubs the way they used to, perhaps they could have kept this routine up indefinitely, by enforcing 'official' rules and controlling people's buying habits. As soon as they went down the route of maximising profit from a shrinking customer base, they set in motion a policy that by definition must eventually kill the business. Accountants always cut loss-making sides of a business first, even if it represents an important investment.

They need a new business model, that's all, and one that is sustainable this time. It's not too late, but the longer they leave it, the more it's going to hurt.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #368 on: January 19, 2014, 11:28:41 PM »
It's hard to make money off people who have already bought their armies and can then keep them for thirty years, playing against their mates every weekend.

There are a couple of things wrong with that statement. And one of them's addressed by the first line in your post. ;)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #369 on: January 20, 2014, 12:54:54 AM »
I need funny stuff in my game universe these days.

Amen to that!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #370 on: January 20, 2014, 03:23:11 AM »
Those early orc books ere we go and freebooterz and the other one were fantastic for dark humour.

Paul Bonner's artwork was very good for that sort of thing.

Regarding prices, I picked up some Plastic Miniature Company 28mm Russians today and got 56 infantry, two AT guns and eight support weapons for the same prices as one of the more expensive 40K or WFB plastic sets. So 70 minis and some guns for the price of 10 Dark Elf Witches.

Now the figures are nowhere as detailed as a GW kit but I bought all the troops I will probably need for a skirmish level game for what some poor schmuck pays for the *start* of a unit of WFB models.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #371 on: January 20, 2014, 03:39:57 AM »
I posted some commentary about the current profit/sales issues at GW on my blog

http://zac.calgarygamers.net/whatever/the-gw-death-spiral

Be interested in any comments people have

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #372 on: January 20, 2014, 04:41:51 AM »
Lotr was what got me into miniatures. The magazine they did was quite honestly one of the best things they ever did for getting new people into the hobby.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #373 on: January 20, 2014, 05:00:02 AM »
The magazine they did was quite honestly one of the best things they ever did for getting new people into the hobby.

I don't think GW did that magazine did they?

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #374 on: January 20, 2014, 05:30:25 AM »
Maybe not but it was certainly in partnership with GW, it was their models. It got people into GW stores.