Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:11:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683007 times)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #450 on: January 24, 2014, 10:29:36 AM »
I do not believe that most of us would go back even with a price decrease.  WH has evolved and moved on since most of us bought anything from GW, hence the surge in retroness on LAF.  There are masses of other games that we now play instead. I find it hard to see us being drawn back.

We forgave Foundry because they make the figures we want for our current fix and, as their range is so big, it covers a lot of stuff unavailable anywhere else and largely sculpted by our favourite guys.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #451 on: January 24, 2014, 11:09:42 AM »
I might buy some of the GW things if they fit in with my historicals. In fact I have a fair bit of Bretonnian stuff for my Norman Crusade army (which never seems to get painted). But these all seem to be the older lines - partly because they are cheaper to buy second hand and partly because I far prefer their older styles.

The reason I don't buy their paints and brushes any more is a lot to do with the price. They're good quality, but I can buy paints and brushes I think are the same or better quality five minute's walk from their store, for less money. Why wouldn't I?
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #452 on: January 24, 2014, 11:30:58 AM »
Just taking one action will not help, but the majority of the internet seems to forget that. I don't doubt that you or other LAFers would buy again, but would the amount be enough to justify the price decrease? Would the increased sales cover the decreased margin in long-term?

That all depends, but current situation with diminishing sales is not a viable long-term solution if you ask me. And as has been pointed out, the entry-cost for playing either of their games is probably also holding potential customers (or their parents) back, and when you look at how GW fared earlier, does indicate that aiming at a better relationship between perceived value and price also is the better way to succeed.

I am not applying curves to the statements on this forum, it's the other way around: I am arguing that we have been pushed well beyond the price we are willing to pay, and saying that it can probably be used as an example of the validity of economics theory.

I have been arguing for years that this would happen on a larger scale at some point; GW seems to only understand (or take into account) the business side of the equation, namely the profit maximization, whereas they seem to not grasp (or simply choose to ignore) consumer behaviour theories (utility maximization, and the way it influences the relationship between price and the amount purchased), which is half of the supply-demand situation.

It may be because they rely too heavily on their brand - maybe because of the situation before the internet, where their product was literally the only commercial wargaming product easily accessed by the great masses, I can't say for sure, but their - in my opinion - arrogant market behaviour now seems to be catching up...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #453 on: January 24, 2014, 12:20:57 PM »
I'd buy stuff if the prices went down, but only down by the right amount  ;)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #454 on: January 24, 2014, 01:14:16 PM »
I will say this in their favour, they've never quibbled (with me anyway) over replacements or refunds.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #455 on: January 24, 2014, 01:15:10 PM »

cheers

James

I'd fill my garage with plague bearers and nurgle flies if they dropped the lid on the loo!
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #456 on: January 24, 2014, 02:42:16 PM »
I would think that hiring young women would indeed help, but it would take a while to be able to retain them as staff, I would think.  I am not sure that many young women would want to continue working at a place where they have to put up with awkward leering from sweaty teenagers all day.  ;D
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #457 on: January 24, 2014, 02:51:52 PM »

Me too, but there is very little that I would be tempted by, mainly due to the way they have changed the 'look' of everything.

Saying that, some of their scenery is very good.
No idea where I would store any more scenery, though.....

I'd fill my garage with plague bearers and nurgle flies if they dropped the lid on the loo!

lol lol
You are just too fussy!

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #458 on: January 24, 2014, 03:27:45 PM »
I was out for a game last night and the local Warhammer crowd were all talking about the new Tyranid swarm collection. Half of them thought it was a good deal and the other half thought it was still too expensive.

Interesting to see that the two "deals" GW has offered for this army have already started gamers talking though

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #459 on: January 24, 2014, 06:04:49 PM »
I would buy GW stuff if it was cheaper- There would be more stuff I would take a punt on. There are miniatures I see and would like to paint (new sternguard) but for 30.00 for five models...no way. I know you get loads of 'extras' but you often get a few extras with Perry stuff for example, but they don't charge the proverbial earth for it.

I would say the general casting quality has gone down since the 90s too. It was very rare to get bent or miscast parts on miniatures then- The few metal Sternguard I have, have a lot more small (but correctable 'faults')

If they want to save their arses GW should get out those old molds and cast up all the stuff that demands and sells for ridiculous prices on ebay. Old orcs, Dwarves, and Brettonians/Empire would be a good start. Maybe sell them under the 'Citadel' banner to differentiate them from the new stuff. It could be that simple... either that or put them in the 'collectors' bit on the website.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #460 on: January 24, 2014, 06:33:07 PM »
If they want to save their arses GW should get out those old molds and cast up all the stuff that demands and sells for ridiculous prices on ebay. Old orcs, Dwarves, and Brettonians/Empire would be a good start. Maybe sell them under the 'Citadel' banner to differentiate them from the new stuff. It could be that simple... either that or put them in the 'collectors' bit on the website.

That would be good start, but they would have to price them competitively or ebay would still be the choice every time.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #461 on: January 24, 2014, 07:48:11 PM »

New supply would rapidly reduce the price. The lack of miniatures and even a small demand for them would create inflated prices. They'd fill that market quite quickly

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #462 on: January 24, 2014, 08:03:58 PM »
New supply would rapidly reduce the price. The lack of miniatures and even a small demand for them would create inflated prices. They'd fill that market quite quickly

There are people that would buy straight from GW, even at a higher price point than eBay, to avoid potential recasts.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #463 on: January 24, 2014, 08:58:18 PM »
I remember seeing Jes Godwins sketches for the 40k version of Skaven. Rather Necromunda styley  8)

Question is, when they eventually go under will the original moulds be scrapped  ??? They must have literally thousand of old moulds.

cheers

James

Sadly, they junked shitloads of them in the citadel hq base move years ago. Andy at Heresy told me they were sliced with stanley knives and skipped!   :o

I saw a terminator spin mould on ebay once a couple of years ago. I think they still have masters of everything so moulds could be recreated, but so many have gone sadly. :(
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 09:15:05 PM by Commander Vyper »
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #464 on: January 24, 2014, 09:01:43 PM »
Sorry double post. Anyway I think that the bottom line is that they don't get the importance or value of nostalgia sales. If they did they would clean up. Rogue Trader interest runs higher than ever as is the old hammer wfb

sadly for many reasons GW refuse to reflect and just run forward to the next windmill. ;)

« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 09:11:25 PM by Commander Vyper »