Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 02:21:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694575
  • Total Topics: 118617
  • Online Today: 644
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1733876 times)

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #1845 on: September 10, 2014, 10:29:42 PM »
Leaked WD images (C&D-ed off the internet by now...)

Well, it took about two clicks from an image search for "Space Hulk, past week" to find them so maybe one more than for stuff that's "on the internet"...

Was that IP infringement too?

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1846 on: September 10, 2014, 10:35:59 PM »
Well, it took about two clicks from an image search for "Space Hulk, past week" to find them so maybe one more than for stuff that's "on the internet"...

Was that IP infringement too?

Still up on beasts of war (they have gotten pretty ballsy since they changed their contract with wayland)
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #1847 on: September 10, 2014, 10:46:49 PM »
Watched the video, I too switched it off a few minutes in. Was also slightly annoyed he knew he had bought an illegal product.

Best indication of his idiocracy? He's buying a resin rip-off to convert, when it would be a hundred times easier with the original plastic one.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1848 on: September 11, 2014, 01:47:47 AM »
Maybe shipping will make a difference then.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1849 on: September 11, 2014, 08:59:24 AM »
Only goes to prove "What gets on the internet, stays on the internet".
GW C&D-ed one of the first sites to publicly show those images. Apparently GW thinks leaks are like vampires: You kill the first one, then all the copies that came from that source miraculously vanish as well. Surprisingly, reality doesn't work that way.  lol

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #1850 on: September 11, 2014, 09:35:03 AM »
So what's the deal then, legally-wise?

If a copyright doesn't apply in a certain country, surely that company is not bound to comply with copyright law?

So does the illegality come from selling in countries only where the copyright law does exist?

There is also the matter of the legal difference between counterfeit and copy. Counterfeit is if the company is claiming these items are GW, complete with logos, trademarks, etc.. Copies just look the same. The law applies differently on these - usually counterfeit is more strongly regulated.

I'm finding it quite tricky to get a straight answer as to what UK has to say on the matter. 'HM Revenue and Customs' says that counterfeit or patent-infringing goods are banned from being brought into the UK, or being sent into the UK, from anywhere in the world. It doesn't say whether this is for re-sale or personal use, so I'll assume it's both.

But if a country is not bound by copyright law, surely then the goods are not, by definition, infringing a patent so long as they don't claim to be actual GW models. Thus is it legal? Obviously we can say "It's not a good idea, for lots of reasons" but I can't help but think we are assuming it's illegal without actually knowing for sure.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1851 on: September 11, 2014, 09:54:03 AM »
Right, this one niggled me so much I actually braved the nightmarish thorny maze that is 'HM Revenue and Customs' phone enquiries.

I was surprised at how knotty the problem appeared to be for them, and I was passed around a bit before anyone could actually give me a definitive answer (the first guy I spoke to didn't know the difference between counterfeit and copy).

Right, it is not actually illegal either for the Chinese company to manufacture the goods or for you to buy them, IF they are not counterfeit (ie. claiming to be original GW models) AND you are not going to re-sell them.

However, if they infringe the IP rights of GW, by being illegal copies, then as soon as they hit the UK borders they are able to be seized and destroyed. So it's not illegal to buy them or have them, but they can be taken from you at any time.

I'd file that under 'Not Worth the 'Risk' to be honest, especially since the website in question clearly suggests the items are GW, which kicks you upstairs into 'counterfeit' territory.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 09:55:44 AM by Cubs »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1852 on: September 11, 2014, 10:26:55 AM »
that is brave.

Unbelieveable. They have a voice-recognition system that doesn't recognise anything, combined with horribly cheesy 80's-style soft rock 'hold' music. It all seemed designed to make you go away and leave them alone.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #1853 on: September 11, 2014, 10:34:03 AM »
It all seemed designed to make you go away and leave them alone.

...You should try ringing BT or UPS then.  :(

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #1854 on: September 11, 2014, 11:36:12 AM »
Let's get back on topic, gentlemen. Remember, any true GW fan will not swap the arduous tortures inflicted to them by their beloved company for any run-of-the-mill telecom provider or government agency. Knock-offs, all of them. ;)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:37:57 AM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #1855 on: September 11, 2014, 12:16:19 PM »
try vodaphone. Its like drilling holes through your skull into your brain.

I make it my policy to actively prevent them from getting any custom I can. Personal reasons, and I'll leave that discussion there.  :-X

Let's get back on topic, gentlemen. Remember, any true GW fan will not swap the arduous tortures inflicted to them by their beloved company for any run-of-the-mill telecom provider or government agency. Knock-offs, all of them. ;)

Agreed!

In other news (maybe not so new), I saw this about Space Hulk Ascension. Seems that GW are pushing SH hard on all fronts, and I wonder if the timing of this game would clash with the proposed SH board game...?

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1856 on: September 11, 2014, 12:22:48 PM »
That Space Hull Ascension looks fun. I remember playing the first Space Hulk game on the computer 20+ years ago and it was great in theory, but had a lot of annoying quirks to it (like, your Terminator would sometimes stand stupidly at the end of a corridor and watch a horde of genestealers charging towards him without firing his weapon ... for reasons unknown).

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #1857 on: September 11, 2014, 01:13:50 PM »
Solar Auxilia.

Popped into my head why I am liking the design, and its nothing to do with GW and formerly known as Imp Guards.

Its the similarities to the classic diving suits, Jules Verne echoes bouncing around me brain cells.

I would rather use them for a 20,000 leagues below the sea thing, or Steam punk project even, than for a pre-heresy GW thing.

Still.

Its still GW.

Meh.

But. But. But. Space hulk is looking more interesting by the moment.

Feel the need to look in my old version box - hmmm project  pending...

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #1858 on: September 11, 2014, 02:05:36 PM »
Actually, that's not a bad idea  8)

Aquanaughts or some such. A little bit steampunk for me but certainly have potential  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1859 on: September 11, 2014, 02:08:17 PM »
Feel the need to look in my old version box - hmmm project  pending...
Heh, project already well underway in my case...

Oh, and I thought this might amuse some of you. From the September 2009 White Dwarf: