Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 02:37:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1742776 times)

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #1860 on: September 11, 2014, 02:23:49 PM »
Yeah! Love that. Classic GW nonsense.

- its already OOP- never to be seen again - just prior to its being released. Again..

I think earlier suggestions may be more right - they found some in the back of the warehouse forgotten about that did not get used as an alternative firewood.

That or they got them knocked up cheap in China   ;)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #1861 on: September 11, 2014, 02:53:10 PM »
I remember playing the first Space Hulk game on the computer 20+ years ago

I've probably mentioned it before, but an old magazine review for the Sega Saturn* version got me interested in GW (and therefore wargaming) long before I knew GW was a thing. When I stumbled across GW Belfast, recognising a genestealer model in the BBRB got me hooked.

*I still have one, and am not ashamed. ;) Took me a while to get SH for it though, and even by that time you could say I was dabbling in the retro gaming hobby. It's not very good and a bit buggy, which might partly explain why my favourite way to play was from the green glowy map with graphics reminiscent of games from 20 years before that.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #1862 on: September 11, 2014, 02:59:00 PM »
Sega Saturn*[...]

*I still have one, and am not ashamed. ;) Took me a while to get SH for it though, and even by that time you could say I was dabbling in the retro gaming hobby. It's not very good and a bit buggy, which might partly explain why my favourite way to play was from the green glowy map with graphics reminiscent of games from 20 years before that.

I still have a Mega Drive and played through the whole of Syndicate twice on it - and used the minimap in the corner much more than the rest of the screen... ::)

Anyway, as somebody who bought the 2009 SH3E at the time, I am rather pissed off that something "Limited Edition" seems to be rather distinctly less than limited... Still, at least I didn't have to get mine through EBay at silly prices, so I guess that's something.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #1863 on: September 11, 2014, 03:44:00 PM »
There is a new mobile version that is actually really good....and significantly cheaper :D
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Mr Brown

• Scientist
    • Speartips and Spaceships
« Reply #1864 on: September 11, 2014, 04:15:13 PM »
The use of misleading advertising has always been something I have found to be of particular annoyance with GW, even as a young teen. Claims of special edition figures in special edition box sets with inflated prices only to become available for general sale in store.

Taking a leaf from the esteemed LAF member above, I looked into claims of limited print runs etc and how these comply with trading standards and CAP/ASA. As I've always suspected but never bothered to check, whilst underhand and in some cases 'technically' illegal, these processes are very common and, for the most part, unenforceable.

As to claims from 2009 that Spacehulk would never be reprinted. Well that's 'technically' true as the new and improved Spacehulk (which is completely different by the way and doesnt include just the same stuff as before on the same run) has completely new scenarios and tokens...

;D

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #1865 on: September 11, 2014, 04:28:14 PM »
Yeah see. new tokens!

Totally different product/limited edition thing.

I bet they use different cardboard boxes and artwork to - a sort of aged faded look, older  in comparison to the 2009 limited edition version - sort of like it was left on a shelf somewhere for 5 years or so gathering dust.

Probably find later there will be another new product available via the website - token booster packs - for the discerning owner of the limited edition 2009 version so they can "upgrade" to the latest limited edition version ;D

Bet the bloody things have skulls on them to...

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #1866 on: September 11, 2014, 05:06:28 PM »
@ Mr Brown:

Well, I know that "Limited Edition" is basically unenforceable, and that's why it's so irritating; it's taking advantage of people and then acting all surprised and hurt about it when people complain...

But then, I guess it's like the many Games Day miniatures - some countries receive a GD model as LE, but it is freely available everywhere else.

Offline Mr Brown

• Scientist
    • Speartips and Spaceships
« Reply #1867 on: September 11, 2014, 05:53:44 PM »
It's worth noting that limited edition and special edition are two very different things. Analogous to flavour and flavoured...

;)

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #1868 on: September 11, 2014, 06:04:47 PM »
I still have a Mega Drive and played through the whole of Syndicate twice on it - and used the minimap in the corner much more than the rest of the screen... ::)

Anyway, as somebody who bought the 2009 SH3E at the time, I am rather pissed off that something "Limited Edition" seems to be rather distinctly less than limited... Still, at least I didn't have to get mine through EBay at silly prices, so I guess that's something.
Just bought a megadrive bundle for a tenner. :)
Apologies for thread deviation

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #1869 on: September 11, 2014, 10:28:28 PM »
Just wanted to make one clarification. Some folks seem to be under the impression that the term "Imperial Guard" has been dropped. It hasn't . "Imperial Guard" appears in the Astra Militarum codex and even in the advertising for the codex. http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Codex-Astra-Militarum-EN

I think it's a silly term, but it's in line with the way GW is taking pseudo Latin to the next level as they have with several of their other IG products and books.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 10:30:20 PM by eilif »

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #1870 on: September 12, 2014, 09:52:13 AM »
Just wanted to make one clarification. Some folks seem to be under the impression that the term "Imperial Guard" has been dropped. It hasn't . "Imperial Guard" appears in the Astra Militarum codex and even in the advertising for the codex. http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Codex-Astra-Militarum-EN

I think it's a silly term, but it's in line with the way GW is taking pseudo Latin to the next level as they have with several of their other IG products and books.

The term "Imperial Guard" is not a term GW can really trademark, but Astra Militarum is more unusual and therefore can be trademarked.

The advertising blurb mentions it so that people "know" what the new name is. I think the next Codex will maybe mention it in the book introduction (like the Space Marines being called the Adeptus Astartes), but that all other references will be Astra Militarum from then on.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #1871 on: September 12, 2014, 11:23:34 AM »
Pity any authors who write a book about 'Spots the Adeptus Astartes'. lol

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #1872 on: September 12, 2014, 11:27:15 AM »
I went to nerd central in thailand and it was all gundam kits and card games

Was in Hearns Hobbies today and saw some nice looking 1:350 and 1:700 modern helicopter kits from a Chinese company called 'Trumpeter' (I'm just about to start a massive 'Hind Commander' binge). They were in clear plastic with multiple parts (WTF - it's a tiny scale to have more than 2-3 parts per model), but price was good. Reviews online haven't been though (mainly inaccurate designs of their naval ships).

Back on track - I think releasing Space Hulk has been misunderstood by GW. It sells, but they haven't figured out why. Once they realise board games are not the same as wargames, then we can continue to enjoy both and this wargames for 6 year olds business they are making will end.

Who am I kidding, there's a 6 year old kid in all of us.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #1873 on: September 12, 2014, 12:36:19 PM »
The term "Imperial Guard" is not a term GW can really trademark, but Astra Militarum is more unusual and therefore can be trademarked.

The advertising blurb mentions it so that people "know" what the new name is. I think the next Codex will maybe mention it in the book introduction (like the Space Marines being called the Adeptus Astartes), but that all other references will be Astra Militarum from then on.

Yes, that.

It is likely about as copy-right-able as skulls, they won't stop using either, but they will increasingly use "AStra Militarum" in future as no doubt you hit the nail in that its copyrighted, soon if not already everywhere to ensure IP and guarantee the future of the Cease and Desist department.

And of course the target audience is not really meant to be old enough to remember the old name....

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #1874 on: September 12, 2014, 02:09:49 PM »

I don't think the Imperial guard term will disappear, mostly because it is in so much of the black library material, but I think your' spot-on about the reason for the change.  Astra Militarum is certainly a means for more trademark protection.

I wonder if they'll start more comprehensively putting "Space Marine" -which they seem to be loosing control of- in  the background in favor of "Adeptus Asartes".
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 02:12:57 PM by eilif »