Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:09:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1734119 times)

Offline harleyface

• Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #3135 on: June 28, 2015, 12:02:27 AM »
Just would like to add a comment about school.
Know not much about  American history classes...but if its the same like here in Germany 20 years ago than its not very good....
Was in German Gymnasium..College...?
I learned hours of the third Reich....learned how evil we were..learned a lot about Napoleon era
Pearl Harbour was ten minutes....
Civil War...learned there was one....5 minutes...
Everything i know now 20 years later i learned because i read books and watched documetrys...
Personaly i think its quiet the same in us  :?

Cultist#83

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #3136 on: June 28, 2015, 12:03:14 AM »
Vlad and I played a delightful game of WFB yesterday, in a local GW store. The whole thing was quite strange as before I got there I saw the sigmarines and the possible new direction (aka the butt end of fantasy).

The first 2 hours saw us greeting each other, Vlad carefully extricating his 5000pts of lizardmen, and I spent 2 hours figuring out magic equipment for my 3000pt bretonnians. (I'm a bad person, I know I should have prepped first) but that's ages!!!

The store manager was kind enough to let me use Sengennaru's non GW 'scratch built' trebuchets. (I was expecting they would be banned)

A few guys came and looked at our fully painted armies, and one older 40k player said 'I haven't seen bretonnians in ages'. (That's cause they haven't been updated in 2 versions! Who knows what their point cost should be - and anyone new to WFB would need to source key current edition models from eBay as they are frequently not on the GW online shop.)

All the while sigmarines were mocking from their demigod space world. What crap looking gold blood angels with hammers.

oh.. and the price of kits in store starts at $41 for anything.. and goes up from there.  o_o I bought my $7 small pot of paint and left. With prices like that, and targeting a younger 12yo male audience - only the upper middle class/rich parents could afford to give their kids the plastic crack their kids demand. Their pricing structure doesn't make sense to me. Unless they expect their target audience to sell their kidney for each new army update. Kids these days have 5 kidneys right?

Cheers
Matt.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3137 on: June 28, 2015, 02:15:15 AM »
Last I checked, the paints were six bucks a pot. Also, I would have been quicker if I wasn't totally paranoid about breaking stuff (which I did)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 06:07:06 AM by Vladimir Raukov »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3138 on: June 28, 2015, 02:54:48 AM »
Your probably onto something with the name Sigmarines. I reckon someone was writing some Empire fluff and misspelled Sigmarite, told head office and then the whole End Times stuff became all geared towards that  ;)  ;D

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #3139 on: June 28, 2015, 10:23:32 AM »
Wellll, considering the Skaven are now running round with Gatling gun breasted ratogres in knocked off space marine Devastatorish armor...

I don't see it being far fetched to see crossover games..

Skaven v UltraMeanies etc - AOS 40K.

That way the next edition rule books boxed limited edition set can combine both "fantasy" and "sci-fi fantasy" battle rules all together and change over to hexagonal bases at the same time.

Then everybody can pop out of whichever "For the Emporer!!" bubble universe they like and take a pop at each other in each other's bubble. Sounds fair.

Probably need to get rid of the 40K thing though (quick have another END TIMES only in the far future), call it something more modern and catchy like " Age of Emporer" he can use his great powers to rise up from Goldythrown and re-create the 40K Universe in AOE Bubbles.

Then the books can just be titled AOS/AOE or something.

Don't forget - Hex bases - First mentioned here.... ;D

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #3140 on: June 28, 2015, 01:33:52 PM »
I was wondering about the Skaven as they're supposed to be next up after Sigmarines and Chaos.  Thank you for reminding me about the rat ogres, thank you very bloody much   lol

Another rumour is that "Age of Steel" will be the fantasy mass-battle game coming out later in the year.  How they fit that in with the rumoured Horus Heresy, Genestealer vs Deathwatch, Raven Guard vs Tau and Dark Angels vs Daemonkin boxed sets is anyone's guess  ;D

Probably release it just after the Sisters of Battle plastics  ;)

Come to think of it, if GW do go for more cheap introductory boxed sets... hmmm, may not be a bad move.

*sigh* How can companies like Fantasy Flight Games tell us their plans for the 40k RPGs three years in advance, but GW have us guessing about a game coming out in a fortnight?

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3141 on: June 28, 2015, 01:41:23 PM »
*sigh* How can companies like Fantasy Flight Games tell us their plans for the 40k RPGs three years in advance, but GW have us guessing about a game coming out in a fortnight?

It's a way to get everyone excited, hyped up and considering the option of not eating this week. FFG tells you things and gets you excited, GW doesn't tell you things and the walls of the internet crumble as folks charge every which way after half-truths and pseudo-rumours. The fellow looking after my local GW store said he once met a guy who complained about changes that he thought were going to be made to the dark angels...which didn't end up being true.

On another note, all this talk of 40K ratmen reminds me of a skavenesque 40k race I heard about once. Gone the way of the squats, I assume.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #3142 on: June 28, 2015, 01:44:26 PM »
Hrud?
Space skaven vs gene stealers hmmm o_o

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3143 on: June 28, 2015, 07:16:13 PM »
It's a way to get everyone excited, hyped up and considering the option of not eating this week. FFG tells you things and gets you excited, GW doesn't tell you things and the walls of the internet crumble as folks charge every which way after half-truths and pseudo-rumours.

Well, not being a millionaire playboy philantropist, I need to plan my hobby purchases in advance. Not knowing what to plan for, means not allotting budget for it... resulting in no purchases from me for new or (as a result) limited GW releases. No buy-in results in no excitement. I can't imagine I'm the only one in this. 
I don't mind anymore, I've found other companies and games/projects more deserving of my money.

Offline Knightofspades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3144 on: June 28, 2015, 07:52:06 PM »
I agree with Affun and Nord pretty much.

If you ask me they have screwed themselves with their focus on Lord of the rings. The great lord of the rings games and setting blew warhammer fantasy out of the water. Not only that but the sculpts on the lord of the rings stuff where much better while the sculpts on warhammer fantasy have become steadily  worse and worse.
Which made their Warhammer fantasy line struggle.
Its not because the game system was bad.

I dont really think their solution of throwing out the system and making a new one will do anything to fix their problems.

To fix it they should go back to basics. Hire Jes Godwin level of sculptors, create a solid battle system with familiar concepts. Hire good authors without any fan bias to write their fluff and gamers will flock to warhammer again.

Quality sells.

Offline Barbarian

• Librarian
« Reply #3145 on: June 28, 2015, 08:44:45 PM »
They recently hired top-notch sculptors (some french in there) : I don't think the sculptors are the problem here.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #3146 on: June 28, 2015, 10:28:23 PM »

Don't forget - Hex bases - First mentioned here.... ;D

58mm hex bases, for sure  lol
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3147 on: June 29, 2015, 02:05:08 AM »
I think GW hold off showing you their product until the last minute for IP reasons. It gives their competitors less time to produce something before the official release so they are the only one selling the official product until the copycats produce the cheaper stuff.

Offline Roddy

• Assistant
« Reply #3148 on: June 29, 2015, 09:57:18 AM »
Mantic already have the basilean stuff which is pretty close already.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #3149 on: June 29, 2015, 10:02:11 AM »
When I see the new GW stuff I'm reminded of Tropic Thunder:

NEVER GO FULL RETARD!
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com