Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 12:21:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696466
  • Total Topics: 118770
  • Online Today: 453
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1741628 times)

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #3345 on: July 07, 2015, 02:14:23 PM »
I think this is the right place for me to chime in, as my fellow LAF members wont shout me down ( I hope!): I need another set of rules as much as I need to fall down stairs, and the minis are the silliest pieces of crap I've really ever encountered in the hobby. I can't imagine ever buying anything AoS, and I don't know why anyone else would either. We are in a Golden Age of Choice for our toy soldiers, and these little chunks just don't make the grade.

There, I've said it! I feel great. Thank you. :)

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3346 on: July 07, 2015, 03:00:57 PM »
Good, get it off your chest!  lol
I have to agree though. What drew me to the Warhammer setting was Bretonnians and the dark, grim setting of the Old world. The first they neglected for years, the second they first watered down and PC-ified and then they blew it up! Currently, my attitude towards Warhammer and GW has gone from a sort of melancholy indifference to this:

(Hmph, how do I get this to embed?)

I don't like the Siegmarines and I need a new ruleset, especially one of that "quality" like I need a jackhammer-trepanning.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:03:58 PM by Modhail »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3347 on: July 07, 2015, 03:57:19 PM »
I can't imagine ever buying anything AoS, and I don't know why anyone else would either.

I'm probably going to get them. 47 minis for 100 Euros is a great price. The miniatures look nice and chunky and the detailing appears to be superb. I'm really not a fan of the present "tiny thin resin miniatures with tiny little details" which cost a boat load. Lots of very nice coming attractions as well (check those archers):

These will be the first fantasy figures I have ever bought.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #3348 on: July 07, 2015, 04:07:54 PM »
Firestorm got the box set for  £64, the miniatures are going to be easy for me to paint,currently I'm going for tests for restricted blood flow to fingers,so haven't done any miniatures in ages. These nice and easy to do,Rules look simple ,and I can have fun with my kids.
I like the look of gold cyborg,Knights not space marines,I announce I will pull my pants down and let  GW spank me ,as they take my cash  lol

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3349 on: July 07, 2015, 04:11:48 PM »
I don't think I'd jump at the AoS rules, but I can understand the to-hit/armour save rolls, and agree with Nic-e. They're just abstracted in a different way. If you're in a tight scrum with a bunch of fellow goblins against humans or elves, or faced with a dragon as big as the broad side of a barn, then yeah, I don't wonder that you're going to hit something without much fuss. It's whether the thing stays hit or not. Think of the save roll not just abstracting toughness and armour together, but also the 'weapon skill' stat, opposed combat roll, or whatever else might include a parry, block, or goofy dodge.

I think this is the right place for me to chime in, as my fellow LAF members wont shout me down ( I hope!):

Far from it. lol

Hmm. Y'know, I might just start a wee dark elf army. I've admired those Jes Goodwin cold ones for a while and I guess I'd best get some while I can. (And while ebay might just become inundated)

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3350 on: July 07, 2015, 04:53:52 PM »
I think this is the right place for me to chime in, as my fellow LAF members wont shout me down ( I hope!): I need another set of rules as much as I need to fall down stairs, and the minis are the silliest pieces of crap I've really ever encountered in the hobby. I can't imagine ever buying anything AoS, and I don't know why anyone else would either. We are in a Golden Age of Choice for our toy soldiers, and these little chunks just don't make the grade.

There, I've said it! I feel great. Thank you. :)

Well I cant agree more. I was in the store to see other peoples reaction on saturday and it was fifty;fifty I shall stick to the older models and older rules (Mordheim, necromunda and gorkamorka) and just wait to see how long before the old range is gone while picking up things i need.

i appreciate some people may like them but I really cant stand them, to me the chaos look like chaos have for a while but the new terminators just dont look like they are fantasy and spoil the humanity side of the game...

(my opinions so I can stay in my ways )  lol
.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #3351 on: July 07, 2015, 05:28:30 PM »
With any new release, there will be some who love them, some who hate them, some in between, which is as it should be. I have noticed though, that it's mainly the GW haters that are very vocal, here and elsewhere. There are plenty of other new releases around that are sub-standard (in my eyes) yet seem to attract only praise. Indeed, if you voice your ambivalence, more often than not it is regarded as impolite. It's fine to hate GW, but not others. That irritates me a little.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #3352 on: July 07, 2015, 06:33:56 PM »
Frustration, Nord, with a company that seems to have lost its way.  GW are the professionals, not one guy writing rules or sculpting minis evenings and weekends.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #3353 on: July 07, 2015, 07:51:50 PM »
Think of the save roll not just abstracting toughness and armour together, but also the 'weapon skill' stat, opposed combat roll, or whatever else might include a parry, block, or goofy dodge.

It's been a while since I played it, but isn't that kind of what D&D used to do?

From what I've read, people who play tested the rules seem to have had a fun game. It's just they're not what a lot of us know as 'Warhammer' ... just a new fantasy game. I don't have a dog in that fight because I'm just in it for the models and nostalgia anyhoo, so if there ever was a time when I'd play WFB again, I'd just stick to an early edition, possibly even the 1st Edition.

Hats off to them for having the courage to take a huge risk and ripping up the old broken versions. It'll be interesting to see what happens now, whether they'll sell off the old IP, grow a fantastic new system, sink like a stone, become Albanian folk dancers, or whatever.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3354 on: July 07, 2015, 09:18:31 PM »
It's just they're not what a lot of us know as 'Warhammer' ... just a new fantasy game.

I think that's the real issue for many... change. Do some small progressive rule changes here and there, and you get minor grumbles from those effected by them. Toss out the whole rule set and then say "this is what you will play with now", is bound to cause considerable uproar.

The acknowledgement of whether it is actually a better set of rules or not, will become apparent over time. I remember the end of the old WRG Ancients rules and the introduction of DBA... short of the four horsemen actually appearing, it was indeed the end of the world for a good many. Those that gave it a go, either still play it now, stuck with the old rule set, or moved on to something else... all will say they did the best thing.
 ;)

With any new release, there will be some who love them, some who hate them, some in between, which is as it should be. I have noticed though, that it's mainly the GW haters that are very vocal, here and elsewhere. There are plenty of other new releases around that are sub-standard (in my eyes) yet seem to attract only praise. Indeed, if you voice your ambivalence, more often than not it is regarded as impolite. It's fine to hate GW, but not others. That irritates me a little.

I'm sorry but it is the same in any other aspect of life. When you set yourself up as the biggest and best (as they do in their advertising), then there is an expectation that what they do will reflect that (which they may or may not have done... time will tell). They are the market leaders (probably) and are the mark by which all others are compared.

It's no different in football or whatever... you don't hear people saying "[insert team name] played really well" if they are in the top three or four national teams; they are expected to have done well. Instead you hear complaints when they perform under expectations. Lower graded teams are not expected to do well when competing with the big boys, so when they exceed expectations everyone has little but praise, or at least acknowledges their effort.

It's lonely at the top.  :)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3355 on: July 07, 2015, 09:57:44 PM »

Hmm. Y'know, I might just start a wee dark elf army. I've admired those Jes Goodwin cold ones for a while and I guess I'd best get some while I can. (And while ebay might just become inundated)

I was thinking of grabbing the cauldron of blood and a box of troops and then using the components to kitbash together a bunch of characters, a big avatar monster, a cauldron proxy war machine and then divide the troops into a couple of groups of 5 elites. I only want to play small games, which is what pushed me away from fantasy,so knowing i can actually use my earlier idea of breaking up the big kits into characterful units is great.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Harrower

• Student
« Reply #3356 on: July 07, 2015, 10:53:02 PM »
When I first heard the whole "Space Marines in Fantasy" thing I thought it couldn't be that bad, and I figured they'd be like dismounted Empire Knights or Greatswords, but I must stand corrected. They are bloody Fantasy Space Marines.

Beyond underwhelming.

Offline baldlea

• Librarian
« Reply #3357 on: July 07, 2015, 11:10:34 PM »
In defence of the storm cast or whatever they're called I don't think they are the humans of the game. I get the impression that they are akin to angels. I think there will be standard humans at some point.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3358 on: July 08, 2015, 12:10:40 AM »
In defence of the storm cast or whatever they're called I don't think they are the humans of the game. I get the impression that they are akin to angels. I think there will be standard humans at some point.

From what i can tell they're the spirits of slain heroes reanimated by sigmar. the fluff says they are stronger and bigger than any other man,but also doesn't mention if their bodies are made or just resurrected and perfected. (or they are actually space marines and fantasy is 40k as seen through the eyes of a peasant watching as the warp storm brings the war to their realm in the eye of terror....)

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3359 on: July 08, 2015, 01:20:25 AM »
From what i can tell they're the spirits of slain heroes reanimated by sigmar. the fluff says they are stronger and bigger than any other man,but also doesn't mention if their bodies are made or just resurrected and perfected. (or they are actually space marines and fantasy is 40k as seen through the eyes of a peasant watching as the warp storm brings the war to their realm in the eye of terror....)

So they're kind of like the thousand sons? Just animated armour with a bit of dust inside maybe?