Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:49:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689765
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Order of the Golden Dawn: a Company for IHMN  (Read 5409 times)

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
Re: Order of the Golden Dawn: a Company for IHMN
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 04:57:56 AM »
OK, my rationale for choosing characters:

Florence Farr: age is right, did ascend to be head adept in Britain, beautiful, lover of Yeats
W. B. Yeats: Age is right, long-time Order member, lover of Farr, literary giant, lover of Farr and Gonne (nothing like a love triangle to heat things up)
Maude Gonne: Age is right, Irish revolutionary (I freely admit my Irish ancestory), lover of Yeats, another attractive female
Bram Stoker: a little old (48), but in the ballpark, and even though he never (apparently) was a major member of the Order, you just gotta include the author of Dracula!
Edward Berridge: Needed a medic; of doctors listed as Order members, he was the best choice.

Crowley was only 20 in 1895, didn't join the Order until 1898, and was never popular with most members (possibly because of his bisexuality and libertine ways). He feuded with many, most notably Yeats; was denied entry into the Second Order by the London members; then went to Paris to be upgraded by Samuel Mathers, who headed the Order after Wescott resigned. This infuriated the London members, who called for investigations into Mathers. Mathers then fired Florence Farr, after which the London members called a general meeting on March 29, 1900 to remove Mathers and expel him from the Order. Plus, two of Crowley's biographers claim that he was recruited by British secret services to join the Order to keep an eye on Mathers, whom was known to be a Carlist.

I suppose Crowley could be included, but I just found the others more compelling. Nobody else I found who was in the Order had quite the story, or the look and feel, of the characters I chose.

Actually, I could have used the basic Golden Dawn structure and created a fictional version, but I found the history too fascinating to resist. I found Florence Farr especially hard to resist.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 05:15:12 AM by oabee »
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
You could say that your were enchanted by her...  ;)

I continue to applaud your devotion to theme.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Eisenfaust

• Scientist
  • Gamer geek, itinerant cyborg and Viking shaman
    • My blog: Dispatches from the Rim
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 11:32:10 AM »
Perfectly sensible choices, those. Kudos on your excellent work.
dispatchesfromtherim.blogspot.com
www.brassandblood.com

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 02:59:05 PM »
You could say that your were enchanted by her...  ;)

Two guys walk into a bar and spot Florence Farr. One says to the other, "Hey, check out the set of Mystic Powers on that one over there!"

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 03:13:36 PM »
Craig: I know you're lurking out there,  somewhere. I saw your post on player-authored material, and had not considered copyrights before. Is there any way I can send revised materials directly to you fine fellows, or should I continue to post them on the blogs?

Also, do you think it advisable to contact authors about using their copyrighted characters? I am thinking specifically about my Dresden Files Company.

Thanks.

Mike O
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 03:50:08 PM by oabee »

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 04:01:03 PM »
Hi Mike,

Craig: I know you're lurking out there,  somewhere. I saw your post on player-authored material, and had not considered copyrights before. Is there any way I can send revised materials directly to you fine fellows, or should I continue to post them on the blogs?

Feel free to send it to me if you wish to share it on the IHMN blog.

Also, do you think it advisable to contact authors about using their copyrighted characters? I am thinking specifically about my Dresden Files Company.

For a little amateur thing like what we do we should fly well under the radar. But you may wish to put a sentence in the company to the effect that: Copyright of the Dresden Files characters remains with ... etc.

Anyone else have any experience of this?

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2013, 06:40:14 PM »
For a little amateur thing like what we do we should fly well under the radar.

My fear was that if I contacted Jim Butcher's lawyer (I have her email) about using the Dresden Files characters for the IHMN blog, that could put us ON the radar. I will hold off for now.

You're right: a little legal guidance would be helpful. Is there a lawyer in the house?

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2013, 07:52:33 PM »
My fear was that if I contacted Jim Butcher's lawyer (I have her email) ...

Is that pesky restraining order still in force? Honestly these damned authors are so touchy  lol

Offline Hunter776

• Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 11:41:26 PM »
My fear was that if I contacted Jim Butcher's lawyer (I have her email) about using the Dresden Files characters for the IHMN blog, that could put us ON the radar. I will hold off for now.

You're right: a little legal guidance would be helpful. Is there a lawyer in the house?

PM me at your convenience.

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 07:34:03 PM »
Please note that a version of this Company has been posted on the Player-Authored page of the IHMN blog, renamed the Temple of Isis, but with the same characters, items, and stats.

http://inhermajestysname.wordpress.com/player-authored-material/

Offline EmperorCorwin

• Lurker
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2013, 05:52:12 PM »

I've contact with his agent, too.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 04:18:39 PM »
Did you consciously choose to omit Aleister Crowley from your list of Golden Dawn members? The self-proclaimed most evil man in the world would make a great bad guy. Of course, it would skew your whole Isis theme you've got going.

(OK, admittedly Crowley didn't join the Golden Dawn until 1898, but still.)

Sorry, felt it worthwhile to repeat part of the conversation on TMP:

TheBeast 24 Sep 2013 8:37 a.m. PST

-No argument! His is the name that just popped into my mind.

-Wouldn't mind Crowley showing up as a spoiler, perhaps in the pay of another company; he always seemed cast as the darker side of the group.

-Or, I'm just thinking of some fiction, perhaps Robert Anton Wilson's. ;->=

-Seriously, about the Theosophical Society, which still lives, who could resist a name like Madame Blavatsky?

-Doug

oabee51   24 Sep 2013 10:16 a.m. PST

-The idea of Crowley as a spoiler is great---his story is certainly intriguing. Better yet, he could head his own rival mystical company, with his own agenda. Revenge? Wealth? Power?

TheBeast 25 Sep 2013 12:43 p.m. PST

-Really? Does he HAVE to chose one? ;->=

-Doug