Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:06:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for Pulpy trucks  (Read 4882 times)

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
Looking for Pulpy trucks
« on: September 24, 2013, 11:48:55 PM »
So, I'm not going to ask which scale of trucks and which manufacturers one should purchase from. Instead, I'm going to ask, is there a post/forum/website where someone has take photos of 28mm miniatures next to different vehicles. I would like to pick up a couple of trucks and maybe a car. Almost all of our games take place in rural European settings - small villages, farm areas, crossroads, old ruins. So I'm less interested in urban-style cars and more so in rugged, practical vehicles. I'll even go as late as WWII if the price, shipping, and availability are right.

Thanks,
JET

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
Re: Looking for Pulpy trucks
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 12:37:57 AM »
A very good source of vehicles for Pulp are diecast shows/toy collector fairs. Just look out for LR scale vehicles. (Looks Right) Lledo, Matchbox, Corgi in 1/48th, 1/43rd, 1/50th and 1/64th.
You can pick and choose the shape and make in whatever scale you feel is fitting. Don't be put off by colour! After all you can paint and weather. Price wise, I've paid anywhere from 20pence to £15 depending on the vehicle and it's rarity and condition.

But that is the beauty of the beaten up diecast vehicle. You're probably going to repaint it anyway. Just checkk all the parts you can't repair yourself are there, and even if they aren't you might be able to get another one to salvage spares from. (Wheels/tyres are common)

This also applies to other periods. (Sci-fi, WW1, WW2, Modern and Post Apocalypse to name a few)

Keep an open mind and visit some shows.

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 12:53:52 AM »
Nothing new for a short while but Sloppy Jalopy are a good source although you do need to wrork on the kits

http://sloppyjalopy.com/

A gazzillion images here.

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 01:36:01 AM »
Those sloppy jalopy are quite lovely, but a little large for my tastes. From what I've seen, I think around 1/56th will suit my tastes a little better. I realize that the 1/48 are arguably more too scale when compared to the individual model, however, most of my table is made up of trees and buildings that are scaled-down to the figures. So, a 1/48 truck would probably make my buildings all look like tool sheds. I was wondering about the die-cast thing but there isn't really anything around where I live and I'm not sure about buying them blind.

Does anyone know if the matchbox yesteryear collection are all the same scale, and what scale they are exactly?

Finally, I know these are a little late but does anyone have any photos of them painted or next to miniatures?
http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3_10_115&products_id=1004
http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3_10_115&products_id=1005

Thanks for the advice guys,
J

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 01:55:02 AM »
These three are part of the Models of Yesteryear line --

These three are by Blue Moon --

Here's a couple of Copplestone's 1/55 scale vehicles --

Have fun!

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 02:07:21 AM »

Does anyone know if the matchbox yesteryear collection are all the same scale, and what scale they are exactly?

Finally, I know these are a little late but does anyone have any photos of them painted or next to miniatures?
http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3_10_115&products_id=1004
http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3_10_115&products_id=1005

Thanks for the advice guys,
J

I think I have one of those West Wind trucks, but haven't put it together yet. If I remember correctly, they list their vehicles as 1/60th scale, and I can tell it was smaller then the trucks pictures above.

Trucks tend to have a wider range of sizes, so I think the scale doesn't matter as much as just finding the ones that look right.

I believe Blue Moon listed their vehicles as 1/56 or 1/55.

Folks list all kinds of scales (1/43 to 1/48) for the Models of Yesteryear stuff, but so far it all seems to be the same scale and are slightly larger than the Blue Moon vehicles.

HAVE FUN

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 02:33:05 AM »
Thanks for the photos and the wealth of information Dave. I shall endeavour to scout around and see what I can find. I like the Westwind trucks but, shipping in, they come in around $25.00 each - a little steep.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 02:47:58 AM »
Anything Copplestone does will be just excellent. Perfect castings, great kits.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Johnny Aces

• Bookworm
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 03:02:18 AM »
Dave, you have the coolest toys.
Co-Writer of Pulp Alley:Perilous Island
Grand Poobah of Pulp Alley Propaganda

Offline krieghund

• Scientist
  • Beyond all Reason
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 05:45:54 AM »
     http://lledomodels.com/ might be worth a look.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 06:00:29 AM »
... I like the Westwind trucks but, shipping in, they come in around $25.00 each - a little steep.

Jet -- each of the Models of Yesterday vehicles shown in the picture above (plus one more) were ordered from eBay for $7.00 or less -- including shipping. Mila keeps me on a very strict budget...  ;D

Anything Copplestone does will be just excellent. Perfect castings, great kits.

Indeed! I finally got my Rolls-Royce Armored Car this week, and it looks fantastic. I wish he would make some civilian cars, trucks, and MOTORCYCLES!!!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 08:19:26 AM »
Blue Moon are very good for the gaming table. Nice looking, resin, and handling friendly.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 08:49:18 AM »
I bought several Lledo vehicles and they are terrific for Pulp and Cthulhu. Here are two of my painted trucks:

Inititially it had a plastic cube with boxes of crisps in the back. I took them off and made a flatbed with some wooden coffee stirrers.

Scalewise here are some action shots:

“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 08:50:07 AM »
So, I'm not going to ask which scale of trucks and which manufacturers one should purchase from. Instead, I'm going to ask, is there a post/forum/website where someone has take photos of 28mm miniatures next to different vehicles.

I have painted, well, more like weathered, a few for my Strange Aeons setting.
These Matchbox Models of Yesteryear should be perfect for your needs.

Take a look at the thread:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=39808.1740

There are a few on that page and the following few and also more earlier on.
(There is a contents page in the first post top make finding things easier... ;))

Hope that helps.
 :)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 10:18:22 AM »
Take a look at the thread:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=39808.1740
That's a fantastic thread, Mason! I'm going to have to read every page, not seen it before.

These two vehicles are from Lledo's 'Days Gone By' range (roof railing added to the van with wire and match sticks).

« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 10:23:45 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »