Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:47:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Company: Adam Worth's Whitechapel Syndicate  (Read 2215 times)

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
New Company: Adam Worth's Whitechapel Syndicate
« on: September 28, 2013, 03:04:17 PM »
Well, I've been thinking about the Napoleon of Crime for some time, and finally gave it a go. This actually was going to be Gentleman Johnny's Chicago Syndicate, complete with Hendricks and Miss Gard (Dresden Files), but I figured why not give Miss Gard to Adam Worth? While also avoiding overly blatant copyright issues for the IHMN blog....

There are two problems with using Worth for IHMN from a purely historical view:

1. Although only 51 years old, Worth's health started to worsen by 1895 and he died just seven years later.
2. Due to a rare bungled robbery, he was in a Belgian jail from 1893-97.

He is such a fascinating figure, and his relationship with William Pinkerton (they shared a remarkable friendship and mutual respect) was so unusual, that in the best spirit of IHMN, I gave him a Mystical Pathway to become the Crime King of London, while joining forces with William Pinkerton and a mysterious Norseman named Donar Vadderung in the struggle against Mystical Forces Which Threaten the Western World. It involved a one-time Mystic Infusion that returned him to his physical prime, along with the love of his life, Kitty Flynn, who (of course) gains Mystical Power in the process.

Charley Bullard, Worth's frequent partner in crime and safe-cracker extraordinaire is along for the ride (now an Engineer), as is the aforementioned Miss Gard, who, if you haven't already encountered her, is, well, a Valkyrie named Sigrun. The rest of the gang come in two flavors: Thieves (stealthy and fast), and Thugs (muscle).

I've tried not to go overboard on new items: Miss Gard has a Norse sword usable only by Valkyries that has enhanced stats and allows her to use Path Of Light (which reflects the dagger she has in the books which allows her to access the Nevernever); and Charley Bullard has come up with a Smoke Grenade. I wasn't sure how many points to give it, finally making it cost 4 points. Your input here would be welcome.

It was my intention to make the Company a snatch-and-grab operation: hit hard and get out quick. I managed to keep it to two pages this time, although I had to reduce the font size on page two(!).You can find it (hopefully) here:

http://wrgmr.com/whitechapel.pdf

Cheers.
Mike O
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
Re: New Company: Adam Worth's Whitechapel Syndicate
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 03:27:20 PM »
I thought I'd mention another option that may interest those looking for a London-based criminal Company.

My original concept, as I mentioned, was the Dresden File's Johnny Marconi, whose powerful organization included mercenaries---elite ex-Special Forces types. I was going to include that option, but dropped it in the interest of brevity with the Whitechapel Syndicate. Adam Worth's organization has become so successful, however, that he could easily afford and acquire ex-military types equipped with, well, whatever!

You can add the option easily: if the Syndicate is running an operation that requires considerable firepower, lose the Thieves and Thugs and add a contingent from the British Rifle Company list (8.4.1). These would be mercenaries on Worth's payroll. The only figure I would exclude is the Captain. 

I would emphasize again that you would have to go with either Thieves/Thugs or Mercenaries: they could not be part of the same Company.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 04:04:50 PM »
I thought I'd mention another option that may interest those looking for a London-based criminal Company.

There again one could just turn to The Kentish Men  ;)
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 04:49:30 PM »
The murderous ruthlessness of the Kentish Men would at first seem to negate cooperation between the Professor and Adam Worth, whose abhorrence of unnecessary violence is well known. Their shared desire to combat those who "threaten London and the Empire," however, would suggest the occasional collaboration.

Well played.

To paraphrase the Sundance Kid:
You just keep thinkin', Craig. That's what you're good at.

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 05:21:29 PM »
Two further comments, then I'll shut up. Maybe.

1. I had forgotten about the Whitechapel Vigilance Committee. It was not my intention to steal their thunder by naming my creation the Whitechapel Syndicate: I just liked that Jack the Ripper connection. My apologies to Messrs. Cartmell and Murton.

2. I had not looked into the Kentish Men until Craig's post above. What a band of devious and deliciously demented despicables! Highly inventive and highly recommended!

You can get a digital copy of the relevant Soldiers and Strategy issue here and start to build this fiendish company immediately:

http://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/shop/digital-content/wss-back-issues/wss-issue-67-pdf.html

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 05:39:30 PM »
Loathe though I am to stop sales of that esteemed journal but sometime in the next week we shall be publishing The Kentish Men on the IHMN blog  :D

I have no problem with you pursuing the Adam Worth project as described and would be happy to put it on the blog also.

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 06:02:48 PM »
Craig:

So now you say you're posting the Kentish Men on the Blog? Does that mean you'll refund my 2.50 Euros for downloading Issue 67 of S&S? If not I should think you may be getting a visit from Miss Gard....  ;)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 06:41:41 PM »
So now you say you're posting the Kentish Men on the Blog? Does that mean you'll refund my 2.50 Euros for downloading Issue 67 of S&S? If not I should think you may be getting a visit from Miss Gard....  ;)

It was our stated intent from the beginning young fellow-me-lad. And as for the attentions of Miss Gard I wish her luck in getting past Lady Boadicea Cartmell and her Lithuanian gardener Blott.

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 07:31:53 PM »
All was forgiven the moment you called me "young."  lol