Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:40:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm 'God of Battles' fantasy wargaming project (Army Shots on PG. 6!)  (Read 21479 times)

Offline Torben

• Scientist
  • Scatterbrained Wargamer!
So, me and Dijit (Duncan) agreed on starting up this project of playing God of Battles (Foundry's fantasy mass-battle wargame) in Gods preferred scale - 15mm!

And I finished off the first unit of Undeads for my army tonight - giving me a head start of 5 points vs. the 36 points that we need to assemble and paint:

The miniatures pictured here are all from Ral Partha's excellent 'Demonworld' line of miniatures.

Your move, Mr. Thompson ;)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:43:47 AM by Torben »

Offline Imp522

• Scientist
Re: 15mm 'God of Battles' fantasy wargaming project
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 10:03:53 PM »
Excellent! Will be following with interest. Have the rules but havent done anything with them yet.

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 01:50:59 AM »
Nice group of skellies you have there.  Please post an AAR when you get enough for a game.  :)
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 08:13:06 AM »
Great start, nice minis I have ignored 15mm for many an age but these are rather tasty and seem ideal for getting GOB off the ground. 8)

Offline Torben

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 10:17:11 AM »
Cheers everyone! :D

I too had ignored 15mm fantasy for a long time, but then I stumbled upon God of Battles. I really like the rulebook itself but I think that using it for 28mm just took far too long to paint up an army for it - in 15mm I have no problem.

So, from now on, then my 15mm games are bigger affairs and 28mm are skirmish affairs.

And yes, I'll keep in mind to post an AAR once we're done with the project; will most likely be ready next year ;)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »
You're certainly not sacrificing appearance by going with the smaller scale. The Little Living Impaired Lads are LOVELY...sorry for the alliteration. GREAT WORK!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 05:58:08 PM »
Great looking work Torben.
Got the shipping confirmation yesterday, so they should land here in the course of the next week.

Offline Dr. Kevin Moon III esq.

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 06:08:08 PM »
They look great - keep 'em coming!

Offline Quirkworthy

• Scientist
  • Quirkworthy
    • Quirkworthy
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 09:15:25 AM »
This looks fun - I've not seen GoB in 15mm before. Looking forward to seeing some battle shots :)

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 10:51:02 AM »
Nice. I've just added the finishing touches to a 15mm Orc army and will post some pics shortly.

Offline Tomsche

• Mastermind
  • Crescat Scientia, Vita Excolatur
    • Società di archeologia e cimeli
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 06:14:36 PM »
Seems like a promissing series to follow, go go go

Offline Torben

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 10:47:05 AM »
Seeing as Mr. Thompson has yet to recieve his package I figured I'd better keep the ball rolling; so here's some more miniatures from Demonworld!

This then brings me up to 8 points for my core choices and a whopping 14 points(!) for my support choices.

I am not entirely satisfied with my choice of colors for the Necromancer but rather than repaint him I think I'll just paint one of the other Warlocks and Necromancers that I have lying about.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
Looks good Torben! I like the Necromancer's colours.

Seeing as Mr. Thompson has yet to recieve his package I figured I'd better keep the ball rolling; so here's some more miniatures from Demonworld!
I got a shipping confirmation a week and a half ago now, so not sure why they haven't landed yet.
Duncan

Offline Torben

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 04:02:16 PM »
This looks fun - I've not seen GoB in 15mm before. Looking forward to seeing some battle shots :)

I do think that Duncan and I are threading fresh, new ground in this regard. The trouble we both had was that we had nowhere near enough 28mm miniatures, but both found that 15mm painted up rather quick... so, it wasn't exactly the most difficult decision to make!

With that said - seeing as the author is on the wire for this project, do you have any ideas or recommendations as for ranges and movement? For now we'll just keep it as is, but if there were other ideas we'd very much like to hear it.

Oh, and is it only the Skeleton Warriors who have had their point costs altered?

Offline Quirkworthy

• Scientist
  • Quirkworthy
    • Quirkworthy
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 07:56:02 PM »
There was a very small amount of errata and a few queries and that's all listed on my site (in the sig). There's a thread for questions if you have any more.

Regarding ranges, I've never tried playing it with 15mm so I can't say. My first thought would be to play it with the ranges, table sizes and distances all as they are and see how that works. Most games condense ranges to fit a whole battle on a table and so it might just look more real (if a bit unfamiliar). If you want to condense the size of the battle you could always either half the distances and stay in inches, or play in cm instead. Heresy, of course, but I won't tell the Inquisition if you won't.

Playing with smaller measurements would also let you play on smaller tables. Given that it works fine in 28mm on a 4x4 foot table anyway that's likely to let you play on 3x3 or perhaps even 2x2 (if you went down to cm). Next step is a 6mm travel version.

As you say, you're off in uncharted waters.

Send up a flare if you get lost ;)